Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Keyboard Corner

Synths, pianos, software, analog, digital, modeling, virtual instruments, programming tips - this is the place on the web for discussions, debates, opinions and assistance...and the occasional sports thread.

11594965545_282c74d7ea_o.jpg.e3b7814ba5300332fb257afa0b249ec5.jpg   

Subforums

1. Repairs and Mods

Repairs, modifications, tips, tricks and other suggestions for ailing keyboards and synthesizers.

66,979 topics in this forum

• 3 replies
    • 53.5k views
    • 0 replies
    • 37.4k views
    • 201 replies
    • 19.5k views
    • 11 replies
    • 136 replies
    • 21.5k views
    • 8 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 29 replies
    • 2.7k replies
    • 2.7m views
    • 15 replies
  1. Sam Ash now closing all stores? 1 2

• 58 replies
    • 1.6k views
    • 0 replies
    • 32 replies
    • 16 replies
    • 5 replies
  2. Oh no... another great synth

• 13 replies
  3. Nord Stage 4 Bug List?

• 12 replies
    • 43 replies
    • 35 replies
    • 4.5k views
    • 0 replies
    • 3 replies
  4. FOH channel set-up for keyboard

• 9 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 1.7k replies
    • 1.3m views
  5. Piano 2.0

• 1 reply
    • 25 replies
    • 11 replies
    • 62 replies
    • 4.3k views
    • 3.9k replies
    • 10.3m views
    • 33 replies
    • 37 replies
    • 1.3k views
    • 29 replies
  6. Jesús Molina - Wow! 1 2

• 51 replies
    • 34 replies
    • 2.2k views
    • 2.9k replies
    • 1.2m views
    • 25 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 35 replies
    • 6k views
    • 161 replies
    • 14.4k views
    • 19 replies
    • 1k views
  • Trending posts on MPN

• Hey, peeps. New to MPM and this club, so I apologize for being late to the game, but the topic title intrigued me since I'm both a vinyl and jazz fan. Years ago, I was bequeathed a relatively modest jazz LP collection by a friend who was moving away and didn't want to take the records with him. For many years, I had a pretty nice component stereo system (Technics system with turntable, 5-CD carousel, I think a 24-band stereo EQ, AM/FM stereo receiver, dual cassette deck, and two gigantic tower speakers). Well, after a while, the turntable went belly up and vinyl was just about dead, so finding parts to repair it (or even a shop, for that matter) was virtually impossible. So in the dumpster it went. Fast forward to 2016 and my oldest son had gotten bit by the vinyl bug, so I decided to get a turntable again so I could listen to all those jazz LPs I had that hadn't been listened to in years. So I convinced the wife we "needed" one, and we started out with one of those 8-in-1 Victrola console units that has a turntable, cassette deck, CD player/burner, and AM/FM radio, plus Bluetooth receiving capability. I was in heaven until about two years ago when the turntable started slipping (belt drive) but there was no way to get inside the unite to replace the belt. So, once again, I convinced my wife that we needed a better turntable (she agreed when she thought her Whitney Houston album sounded more like a Lou Rawls album). I did a little research and landed on a Audio-Technica unit with both Bluetooth transmit and a USB for digitizing. I think I got it for $465 from Musician's Friend. Anyway, I love that turntable! Sounds great, plays great, and both the Bluetooth and USB have been more than utilized.    Anyway, I write all that to ask the OP two questions: 1) What turntable did you end up settling on, and 2) what jazz records have you gotten ahold of since you posted this? Have you branched out from Miles and Coltrane? I could give you a number of recommendations for "must have" albums, but I don't want to waste your time suggesting things you might already have.
    • Thanks to a user Tehtube Zsolt over at the FB forum, there is a workaround for the midi issue - you simply open the edit function (edit>general settings>midi) and switch the midi channel  for upper or lower between off and whatever channel you want to transmit on. And then if you only want the external module hit the two preset buttons to mute the drawbars. Clunky, but it will work for me. The midi behaviour seems curious given that on the 271 they have implemented optional midi note send on the reverse colour keys, giving a 6 octave keyboard. Why would they do that and then hobble the whole thing by making it harder to get at.
    • CHarrell - that was an interesting story. However, to me the most remarkable bit was...     I believe that never happened to me in 40+ years! 
    • One of my fondest memories as a young boy was dropping the needle on that first Santana album with the headphones on and just staring at that cover for the entire album.    Here's one that I always thought was very striking and beautiful. 
    • I advised Visount Support of these issues and got a reply back to say they have been referred to their R&D dept, so hopefully they will be addressed in a future update.   I also did some further testing of the usb audio - this time including my Macbook Air. I could not get the midi to work either. The only app I tried was the Model 15 (Moog) which shows the midi and audio connections available and in use. Once again the Yamaha CK61 displayed everthing correctly and everything worked as it should. Yamaha have had this working properly for some time - I bought my granddaughter a cheap Yamaha keyboard nearly 4 years ago and it could do usb audio! Of course Yamaha have a lot more resources than Viscount so one shouldn't be too hard on them. Still it shows it's all possible.
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• I remember seeing the ads in Keyboard and a picture of the Odyssey on the Musicians Friend catalog. I really wanted one but ended up with the MiniMoog because it was available. In the late 70's you didn't have a lot of choices in a small rural town. Was very interested when this came out but reviews of the horrible touch pads scared me away. Wish it had more jacks for interfacing with the Behringer 2600. Still, maybe someday. Wonder how it compares to the Korg version?
    • Carlo, you make that Oddy sound fabulous! I have a black-face Oddy and Axxe in my garage, have had both since the '80's, and both need new sliders, probably new caps, and a ton of cleaning. But hearing you play it made me feel nostalgic for that sound! Given the price of the Behringer, it'll probably be cheaper to just buy a new one than to fix mine.
    • OT - just a comment on the original white face Oddy - I modified mine so I had an octave up/down switch. Also changed the pitch knob to one which had a notch sticking out so that I could curl my little finger round it and be confident that I could return it to the neutral position. And I managed to rewire the modulation slider on the first oscillator so that the second oscillator modulated too. It was all very ambitious of me, with not much real understanding of what I was doing, but it worked nicely. i hung onto it for years, only selling it off about 10 years ago. Nowadays I occasionally use the app on the iPad. It’s close enough for me.
  • Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries