Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using iPad as Outboard FX Processor/ Routing Help

I have a PX5S that I was thinking of using an external effects processor to get around some of its effect/DSP limitations. I hate the interfaces on most of the popular multi-effects options out there (though I'm open to affordable suggestions! Shame that the Boss ME series is mono in only), so I was thinking of downloading something like IK MixBox on my iPad Mini 4 and using that. But I'm having a mental block on how to actually do this, so I wanted some help. (And frankly, I'm not sure if the Mini can take the processing, but I think they have a free version to try out?)

PX5S > iPad through 1/4 to 1/8 adapter > amp     

But if the headphone jack is being used for the Privia input, how will I get iPad audio out? I have a USB audio interface and a mixer as well, but I keep hitting that wall on how no matter what, what can I do to get audio into the iPad and out with just the headphone jack?

I don’t believe there is any analogue input on the iPad and the headphone jack is just a line out. You need a USB audio interface connected to the iPad to get the audio in to the effects apps. You can then either line out through the headphone jack or back out the usb interface. Your mini should be fine but, if you decide to upgrade, the iPad 9 was the last to have a headphone socket.

Once you get it working, worth having a play with GarageBand effects pedals for free.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

13 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

I don’t believe there is any analogue input on the iPad and the headphone jack is just a line out. You need a USB audio interface connected to the iPad to get the audio in to the effects apps. You can then either line out through the headphone jack or back out the usb interface. Your mini should be fine but, if you decide to upgrade, the iPad 9 was the last to have a headphone socket.

Once you get it working, worth having a play with GarageBand effects pedals for free.

Of course, the interface plugged into the iPad, duh! 

Thanks for the tip about GB effects, too, I'll check out the effects they offer and see how comprehensive it is. Is it a live-friendly interface?

11 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

Of course, the interface plugged into the iPad, duh! 

Thanks for the tip about GB effects, too, I'll check out the effects they offer and see how comprehensive it is. Is it a live-friendly interface?

I tried running the Yamaha YC and CK through the amp and pedals to get more grit and they worked fine. There are dedicated apps that might be more live friendly, but it works fine and you can dabble for free. It’s under the guitar amp section.

IMG_0377.jpeg

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Small, easy solution? Get one of these. Stereo in/out. A gazillion effects (up to 6 chained at a time).  Don't let the Chorus/Delay/Reverb label fool you.  It has so much more, and you can even load effects into it from the other zoom pedals (gtr amp sims & distortions) with a computer app. There's also a hack that lets you run separate fx chains on L/R chains independently.  e.g. 2 mono keyboards can share the box with diff FX on each.  Runs on batteries, ac adapter or usb power, can even respond to midi sysex commands if you use a wireless midi usb host do a bit of legwork. Built like a tank in a metal case.  

spacer.png

• Like 1

Nearly everyone uses Lightning or USB interfaces these days, but the iPad headphone port is TRRS and supports mono input along with stereo output. That's how the iRig 2 interface works: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig2/

There's a discussion here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/43528/trrs-input-for-ipad-works-for-line-in

Kurzweil PC4, Expressive E Osmose, UNO Synth Pro, Hammond B-3X on iPad, Rhodes Mark II Stage 73, ART 710-A MK4s

57 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

Small, easy solution? Get one of these. Stereo in/out. A gazillion effects (up to 6 chained at a time).  Don't let the Chorus/Delay/Reverb label fool you.  It has so much more, and you can even load effects into it from the other zoom pedals (gtr amp sims & distortions) with a computer app. There's also a hack that lets you run separate fx chains on L/R chains independently.  e.g. 2 mono keyboards can share the box with diff FX on each.  Runs on batteries, ac adapter or usb power, can even respond to midi sysex commands if you use a wireless midi usb host do a bit of legwork. Built like a tank in a metal case.  

spacer.png

This is exactly what I had in mind when I said I hate the interfaces of most popular multi-effects units. 😂

48 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

This is exactly what I had in mind when I said I hate the interfaces of most popular multi-effects units. 😂

That's a shame, 'cause it sure is dang simple in basic use.  e.g. dedicated 1:1 knobs to parameter just like a dumbass guitar stompbox.  Or, to put it differently, like one block of a Boss ME you mentioned at 1/10 the size.  Just click right to see the next block. Easy peasy and fits in your pocket or sits on your keyboard. 

IMO, as someone who uses both one of these (i own 3 and have used for 100's of gigs), and also uses an ipad, the IPAD is far more complicated to get everyone to play nice together for what you said you want to do (post keyboard effects).  e.g. You may (or may not if you get lucky) need to contend with differing sample rates, round trip latency, power delivery, etc. in the IPAD configuration, in addition to a whole buncha extra cables and doodads.  Good luck in your hunt.

26 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

That's a shame, 'cause it sure is dang simple in basic use. 

It's simple and relatively straightforward, sure, but I don't find it easy/quick. I'm open to changing my mind based on insight, but when I owned one for synths several years ago, I found it very tedious and not conducive to a live show if I, for example, had a phaser effect, but then wanted to quickly add an overdrive. In that regard, I actually much preferred the Korg NTS-1 (which is nowhere near as capable and powerful as the Zoom, of course), where it was so fast and easy to toggle different types of effects on and off, switch between them, and change their parameters.

2 hours ago, CHarrell said:

@D. Gauss Looks like they're actually releasing the next generation, the CDR+.

https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/multi-effects/multistomp-pedals/ms-70cdr-plus/#main

The new features are very interesting, including the ability to have USB MIDI for added control, which might go a long way to address some of my issues with the original.

Tread carefully.  The old CDR70, MS50, etc. all already have USB midi. ( i use the $13 dollar aliexpress m-vave midi bluetooth wireless for a host).

The new ones add some somewhat useful navigation switches, but take away some other stuff.  I don't have one to do a side by side compare, but i'd say do some homework before you jump in.  

• Like 1