Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

On 4/25/2024 at 10:01 AM, Justin Havu said:

Yamaha QX3 sequencer.  Wanted a different way to get ideas down without having to fire up my computer.

I still use a QX5 for that same reason and it has always worked extremely well for me.

Was about to buy a QY700 just a few days ago but opted out...

11 minutes ago, mpn_user7629 said:

I still use a QX5 for that same reason and it has always worked extremely well for me.

Was about to buy a QY700 just a few days ago but opted out...

Got a QY700, amazing machine, non volatile memory too, though back up save on floppy is still a good thing to do. Which reminds me that my floppy has stopped working, looking into getting a USB/SD solution instead.

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Ooooops!

Inspired by a conversation here at the forum during the last days, I just clicked "Buy" on an Akai MPC Key 37...

Do I need it... Hmm let me think... again.... ABSOLUTELY NOT...! 

But could I have use of it, oh yes, totally!

:D

• Like 2

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

So since I getting  back into recording and playing guitar again I went with a buddy to Guitar Center today.   For recording I picked up some percussion shakers and such then some picks.     Looking around the store has less and less in store and what they have to main lowend gear, but they did have some new $$$ Gibsons.   i wanted to check the keybeds out on some Arturia and NI controllers and they no longer have any open and only a couple even on the wall for sale.   Other than guitars and amps might as well buy online and have it shipped to the store. 

Jumped the gun--I was trying to wait on sales of at least two keyboards to make another purchase--it's Sam Ash's fault.

Got a Fantom 6.   They recently discounted the non-EX ones by $400, then I got a Sam Ash emailed coupon for 15% off anything.  O rly, I know that "anything" usually means lots of exclusions.  Welp, it worked, so I got it.  Brand new Fantom 6 for just over $2200 before tax.

I considered the 7, but it is 37 pounds.  Plus I have a really excellent gator hardshell flight case that will perfectly fit the Fantom 6.

It's still "processing" so there's a paranoid part of my brain that thinks they might come back and say that coupon wasn't supposed to apply LOL!

This plus the used Nord Stage 3 compact I have been using--which I love--will cover any and all bases I have and then some.  Either keyboard can do my gigs, and both together should be fun.   Sure, I'm missing a weighted board but that's never really been a huge deal for me.    Assuming I like the thing, I really do feel "done" in a way I haven't previously.   Of course, many of us have said that before and found it not to be the case!  :D 

• Like 1

IMG_9588.jpegA Wurlitzer 200… what a nice and gorgeous sounding little piano!

• Like 9
  • Love 7

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

Bought this rolling stand from Liquid Audio.  It'll be handy for rolling a digital piano in front of the computer for Open Studio lessons, or just figuring out stuff from Youtube videos, then rolling it back out of the way afterwards.  When I put my Casio Privia on it, it sits a bit high, but I think an adjustable height piano bench can make up for it.  Assembling it takes some patience as the assembly video warns but once assembled it feels solidly built.

https://www.liquidstands.com/products/portable-home-recording-studio-workstation

• Like 1

Got a Yamaha MX61 coming in a couple of days.

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

20 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Bought this rolling stand from Liquid Audio.  It'll be handy for rolling a digital piano in front of the computer for Open Studio lessons, or just figuring out stuff from Youtube videos, then rolling it back out of the way afterwards.  When I put my Casio Privia on it, it sits a bit high, but I think an adjustable height piano bench can make up for it.  Assembling it takes some patience as the assembly video warns but once assembled it feels solidly built.

https://www.liquidstands.com/products/portable-home-recording-studio-workstation

That's pretty cool. Faced with the same problem I went the opposite direction and brought my computer to my keyboard.

I made up a music stand above my DP, out of a sheet of plate glass and mounted a standard monitor on a flexi stand directly behind the glass. Combined with a mini desktop pc and a Bluetooth keyboard and trackball, I can still use sheet music, or clear it away for YouTube video, online lessons or Mobile Sheets.

Interesting how there's always more than one solution.  😀 😃 

• Like 1

Replacement Super Knob for my MODX7. High quality gig bag just is not enough protection for this delicate board and it’s poorly placed knobs. Shopping a hard case, but golly those are pricey. 

IMG_1297.jpeg

Well Apple came out with updated iPads I don't think they were really upgrades and got a look at M4 and where those chips are headed.    So seeing new M4 iPad I went online and ordered a new Mac Studio!!!!     Going to take two weeks to arrive so guess they are busy in China building the config I want.   So for less money than a fully config'd iPad Pro with magic keyboard and pencil pro I got a Mac Studio M2 Max.   

For doing audio recording I don't do graphic/video stuff the M1 and M2 chips are better deal than M3 and M4 that keep adding more for people doing graphics/video work.  The M2 Max has as many neural cores  at the new M4 does.  A big difference that will help on audio using libraries the M4 they upped the memory bandwidth to 120 or was it 150, but the M2 Max is 400.   I don't like using hubs and dongles and the Mac Studio has lots of ports front and back.   So this should be a excellent computer for me.   My old Intel iMac is starting to show its age, the fan is kicking in now and then and screen isn't as sharp, so I'd rather replace it now when I can choose than wait for it to die and have to buy whatever is available fast.     

• Like 2

I traded in my M1 Air for a 15" M3 Air. 13 is too small for me and my aging eyes. Not having to use one of the Thunderbolt 4 ports for power will help. My M1 MacBookPro has a HUB and a 4TB SSD velcroed to the back of the monitor, permanently attached. I plan to keep installs on the lite side with the Air. No NI Komplete taking up huge amounts of space. No loop libraries. Just my favorite VSTi's.

• Like 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

4 hours ago, Docbop said:

I'd rather replace it now when I can choose than wait for it to die and have to buy whatever is available fast.     

Boy, am I repenting at leisure over that one. I'm going to have to go bigger and probably let my M1 Mini become a glorified netbook. I thought I had been at it long enough not to trip over another paradigm shift, but :curse: if that's not what happened. Oh well, live and learn and simmer lightly in your own juices for a while. Get crapped on, rinse, repeat! I'm still happy with how breezy Logic became with the M1 chip. Its not like I was going to turn some color outside the UV range and go mad by going Linux. :wacko: 

“The joy of dogs is that they free us of our own undignified existence,
   our self-consciousness and inhibitions;
    our self-imposed hindrances to pleasure;
     our unwillingness to be embarrassed, exposed, or vulnerable.”
        ~ Alexandra Horowitz

On 5/6/2024 at 3:30 PM, brenner13 said:

Replacement Super Knob for my MODX7. High quality gig bag just is not enough protection for this delicate board and it’s poorly placed knobs. Shopping a hard case, but golly those are pricey. 

I've replaced the Super Knob cap, volume knob cap, power switch cap, and the entire PC board for the volume knobs on my MODX7, now I need to replace the cheap end caps.  Or, I could just sell the MODX and settle for my MX61.

• Sad 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

download.jpg.f7888c74c97b9f7e873a9d6eb80df908.jpg

I have a Roland VR-730.  It has the well-known glitch with the expression pedal jack.  I followed instructions for modding my Yamaha expression pedal (more specifically, an adapter for it), but it still wasn't quite doing the trick.  I bought one of these to bypass the jack altogether and just treat it as a MIDI pedal.  Works like a charm, and has even a second input.  I plan to use it with a footswitch for the rotary speed.

• Like 2