Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

Well, it's my birthday and I went a little crazy. I've always wanted a Oberheim 8 voice and I finally broke over. Actually, I bought a package deal, 8-voice, a SEM, and the new OB-X from G-Force. They sound great and it sure beats paying current vintage prices and getting old keyboards serviced. For anyone in the US that is interested, the listed price in pounds translates to $217.59 at current pound to dollar transactions. May be different tomorrow.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

1 hour ago, RABid said:

Well, it's my birthday and I went a little crazy. I've always wanted a Oberheim 8 voice and I finally broke over. Actually, I bought a package deal, 8-voice, a SEM, and the new OB-X from G-Force. They sound great and it sure beats paying current vintage prices and getting old keyboards serviced. For anyone in the US that is interested, the listed price in pounds translates to $217.59 at current pound to dollar transactions. May be different tomorrow.

Happy birthday!. Enjoy your new toys 🥳

• Like 2

Got this low-priced but still solid rackmounted oldtimer for the live rig.

20231027_200200.jpg

• Like 3

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

Sold Boog and bought Roland Boutique SE-02. Boog had better form factor (e. G. non-microscopic) and to my ears more "moogy" sound too. But memory slots are hard to beat with Forte sending program changes. Probably not the most charismatic synth, but strong and great for funk and fusion leads and basses.

SE.jpg

Just got what Motion Sound calls the “slave” to my Motion Sound KP-612SX.  The “slave”, Motion Sound model SL512, is an extension speaker that uses the 2nd amp in the KP-612SX (500 watts RMS X 2 = 1000 watts).  As Jim Alfredson would say:  “It’s a screamer!”

IMG_0336.jpeg

IMG_0337.jpeg

• Like 2

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

Roland Aerophone AE-20W

Costco had it on sale for $150 off.  Seemed like a good time to finally satisfy my curiosity about wind synthesizers/controllers.  

I have very little experience with real wind instruments so I'm pretty much starting from scratch.  The Aerophone lesson app is more helpful than expected, as it shows the fingering for each note, and waits for you to find it and play it before showing you the next note and fingering in the selected song or exercise.  

The SuperNATURAL based sounds are very responsive to breath control.  The ZenCore sounds are also more expressive than I'd expected.  It helps that I am not afflicted by HIB (Home Instrument Bias - sax players hate the sax presets, trumpet players hate the trumpet presets, etc.).

Not interested in stealing gigs from real woodwind/brass/etc. players.  To me this is just a fun new way to interact with a synth.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Leroy C said:

Neat!  I played saxophone decades ago (4th grade through high school).  No desire to get back into it seriously, but admittedly the Aerophone looks fun.  

I am indeed having fun with it, despite having to learn what fingerings go with what note.

Learning how to control the sound with just my breath is particularly fun.  I can vary the loudness of course with the breath.  But I can get the sound to kind of growl, or sound overblown, or jump in pitch with the breath  - depending on how the sound was set up - all with some degree of independence from just loudness.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GovernorSilver said:

I am indeed having fun with it, despite having to learn what fingerings go with what note.

Learning how to control the sound with just my breath is particularly fun.  I can vary the loudness of course with the breath.  But I can get the sound to kind of growl, or sound overblown, or jump in pitch with the breath  - depending on how the sound was set up - all with some degree of independence from just loudness.  

Nice!  I wondered how well the breath control could sense such things.  I might have to put one on my Sweetwater wish list ...

I bought Falcon 3 from UVI.  $199 is the intro price. 

Still wrapping my head around it but it is quite a powerful system. Imports my custom EXS libraries pretty well and the synthesis side is crazy deep.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

6 minutes ago, Mike Martin said:

I bought Falcon 3 from UVI.  $199 is the intro price. 

Still wrapping my head around it but it is quite a powerful system. Imports my custom EXS libraries pretty well and the synthesis side is crazy deep.

I saw that, I'm really curious about it 'cause I love the UVI architecture, to the point where I've gone out of my way to purchase UVI products and avoid technically superior Kontakt offerings. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got this at a good price during the local Music Go Round’s Black Friday event.

I owned a Minimoog Model D from about ‘78 to ‘95, when I sold it to fund the purchase an (cough, cough) Alesis S4 module.  :wacko: I’ve regretted it to this day, but I finally have a Moog in the stable again.

IMG_0464.webp

• Like 3

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Sold four Electron boxes that I was hardly using. DigiTone, OctaTrak, Analog Four and Analog RYTM. They were replaced by Push 3 controller. Used the funds to buy

Fantom 7 and EX upgrade. Right now I consider this my forever keyboard. Of course, not that I finally bought it I assume Roland will announce a new version with poly aftertouch next week. Was planning to take it back and forth to church during the Christmas season but decided it is way to heavy so I also got

MODX6+. Only 14 1/2 pounds. This thing is an old man's dream for carrying around and getting a nice variety of sounds. I bought a slight blem version which I think translates to open box. Could not find a mark on it. Best $1250 I've spent for a keyboard in, well, forever. Went with the 61 key version for smaller size and weight, but also because I consider it my modern DX-7 which was also 61 keys. I owned one in the 80's and it was also very light for the time.

• Like 2

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

8 hours ago, RABid said:

MODX6+. Only 14 1/2 pounds. This thing is an old man's dream for carrying around and getting a nice variety of sounds. I bought a slight blem version which I think translates to open box. Could not find a mark on it. Best $1250 I've spent for a keyboard in, well, forever. Went with the 61 key version for smaller size and weight, but also because I consider it my modern DX-7 which was also 61 keys. I owned one in the 80's and it was also very light for the time.

Similar to my reasoning when I got mine a year ago. I am really happy with this keyboard so my MONTAGE can remain at home, while having its sounds with me without hurting my back on weekly rehearsals 😆

Korg ARP 2600M - $1150 was just too good a discounted price to pass up.  Once upon a time, people joked about Korg making a Volca 2600 with super tiny sliders, magnifying glass 100% required.  IMO, this is not the case with the 2600M.  The sliders are still a decent size and the panel is still easy to read.   The built in speakers can be surprisingly loud.

Starving Students M-PAR right angle Eurorack cables - 5 pack of 6" red cables and 5 pack of 8" green cables.  One of the 2600M reviews stated the stock cables are long enough to hang on top of the keyboard, if you park your keyboard controller right in front of the 2600M, and so shorter cables were recommended.

Jae Deal Synth Bass for Gospel and Jazz course - Used the TOFURKEY23 code for a 10% discount.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Korg ARP 2600M - $1150 was just too good a discounted price to pass up. 

Good for you, brother.  I had to slap myself a few times to keep me from doing the same. 

Edit:  looks like they are all gone at that price. 

• Like 1
:nopity:

33 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

Good for you, brother.  I had to slap myself a few times to keep me from doing the same. 

Edit:  looks like they are all gone at that price. 

Thank you, Brother Dave.  At some point I will investigate pairing it with the Matriarch, being inspired by this guy

• Like 1

Picked up a JBL Eon Compact One.  Had been looking for a light battery powered unit for my duo to use for the occasional sidewalk or quickie indoor gig.  Cons: not real loud and i would prefer standard knobs to LED encoders. Pros: 17 lbs, 12 hours on battery, sounds quite good, 4 channels (most of competitors have 2-3) and was $150 off through end of year. Tried it at rehearsal Monday and was quite pleased. Can now do a quick setup gig (one trip from car) without AC power, two mics, keys and guitar. 

• Like 1

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Wednesday I went to our local Guitar Center and they had a used but like new Boss ME-80 multi-effects for $199 with a 45 day return policy so I bought it. I gave it a spin last night, pretty much a complete pedal board in one box but also programmable and stereo and only requires a single source of power. 

So far, I like it a lot. It looks like I could use it for an acoustic guitar as well as an electric. The only place it falls short is TS outputs only, XLR would be nice.

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.