Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Real MC said:

Planning to use these in my gigging system.

Excellent game plan. I paired 2 Prophet-600s with 2 Korg DW8000s and the skies damned near opened up. I panned things about 80% left-right and the sound was immense. Your choice of a pair of these took me right back to that setup. Send them through just a smidge of reverb or delay. Even as huge as they can be played dry, that gentle added smear will put a nice cherry on top. I say that while acknowledging that some venues have all the natural reverb you need, so adding more can = needless mud. Still, the added breadth is worth considering. 

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

2 hours ago, David Emm said:

Excellent game plan. I paired 2 Prophet-600s with 2 Korg DW8000s and the skies damned near opened up. I panned things about 80% left-right and the sound was immense. Your choice of a pair of these took me right back to that setup. Send them through just a smidge of reverb or delay. Even as huge as they can be played dry, that gentle added smear will put a nice cherry on top. I say that while acknowledging that some venues have all the natural reverb you need, so adding more can = needless mud. Still, the added breadth is worth considering. 

Game plan for a long time was to reduce keyboards onstage from three to two.  The hard part was replacing the Andromeda - it set a high bar.  I don't intend to sell the Andromeda, still have uses for it in the studio.  When on stage, I ran three outputs out of the Andy - stereo pair, then the two auxes which I routed each to their own set of effects which changed programs over MIDI.  The effects were primarily modulated delays, some occasional reverb or echo.  That gave me a lot of power and flexibility.  Typical configuration I used in a mix on the Andy onstage was three independent patches.  All controlled from either my MIDIBoard or my Hammond XK3 in CANCEL mode which can function as a MIDI controller (!).

Most of the Andy patches I used onstage were copies of either Memorymoog or OB-X patches from my studio.  The OB-X8 was the first new board I saw as a solution.  While not as feature rich as the Andy, I gained more beef.  When I got the keyboard model, I was amazed what a dead ringer the sound was to my OB-X - and that's not easy to acquire.  The 24dB/oct filter on the OB-X8 can approach Memorymoog patches.  I already have a Voyager RME for the mono synth stuff.  When the module came out I acquired two of them.  One will be run dry with its stereo pair - the panning feature is pretty effective.  The other will use the split feature, whose programmable panning allows me to duplicate the aux outputs I used on the Andy.  Even in split mode, four voice limit per half is not a problem.  Done!

I have a couple of Andy patches that may be a challenge to duplicate.  I had been using a couple variations of a Wurlitzer patches I made that were an effective  rhythm tool with guitar players.  Failing the OB-X8, I may attempt those sounds on my Kurzweil 1000-PX.

Most of you know that I gig my gear with Anvil cases.  That's the next solution I need to figure out for the OB-X8 modules.  While they aren't rack mount format (two inches too wide), I am considering replacing the wood endcaps with rack ears and having Anvil build a rack case a little wider to fit them.

• Wow! 1

10 hours ago, The Real MC said:

Had been on a waiting listing at Sweetwater, they just got more in stock.  I had been gigging a real Leslie but some stages are too small, so this became a necessity.

neo-ventilator-II copy.jpg

I just tried one out for the first time, and out of all the rotary sims I've used over the years, this is by far the best.  It's a little out of my budget, so I might scoop up the Mini-Vent at some point.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Took the plunge and decided to buy a Nautilus 73 before the rebate ended June 30th. 

The day after I placed my order, the rebate was extended to Sep 30th.  Those Korg SOBs.🤣😎

• Haha 3

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Based on the excellent discussion here, I upgraded my Audio Interface/mixer to a newer version. This guy has way more input and output options as well as FX (which I'm not likely to use), and EQ/Low-cut and compression.

~ vonnor

UCX2.png

• Like 1

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Portable electric chainsaw.

Music related?

If Van Halen can use a power drill to make sounds through his guitar just thing what can be done with a chainsaw.

Or the band Jackyl on The Lumberjack.

And I'm available for studio work or help chopping your B.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FunMachine.

2 new things in the rig:

<Edit: Trying to figure out how/why the pix came in upside down, formatted fine on my iPad>

Korg Grandstage ‘73. If I’m totally honest, I’m still on the fence about this. A friend offered me this on a great deal, and I have some upcoming gigs that don’t really warrant taking my Rhodes. The pluses: great feeling keyboard, decent size/weight (<40 lbs), really great acoustic piano sounds, decent Rhodes and everything else, it’s certainly a better instrument than my Casio PX5S. Bu5, I dunno, it’s just hard to get excited about it. Last week at band rehearsal, I had it sitting on top of the Rhodes, and I just kept drifting back the the Rhodes. 

GS.jpeg.d340092000fab16dc703896b01c89955.jpeg

Soma Lyra 8: Now this I can get excited about, a weird noisy drone synth that doesn’t hold pitch, is dirty and wobbly AF, and is loads of fun! Pretty unpredictable, but something about it just says tweak me!Lyra.thumb.jpeg.c9aa0c2db61647460400297facebb647.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Cool 1
  • Love 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

10 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

Hey Dave, can you rotate the above photo's please?  Thanks :cool:

Yeah, sorry about that, dunno why they came in from my iPad upside down.

• Thanks 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

20 hours ago, NewImprov said:

I dunno, it’s just hard to get excited about it. Last week at band rehearsal, I had it sitting on top of the Rhodes, and I just kept drifting back the the Rhodes. 

That's easy. 

Lift the Grandstage.  Put in the case.  Take it out to the vehicle.  Bring the Grandstage back into the house. 

Perform the same drill with the Rhodes as you have done many times already. 

Let us know if your Grandstage excitement remains unchanged. 😁😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 6/20/2023 at 3:18 PM, bill bosco said:

Am considering a Yamaha dzr 10 , if it's all its cut out to be , I'll sell my motion sound 610 and go back to mono , a few pounds lighter too

follow up to that , i did pick up a DZR10 , after A/B-ing them , actually did not out gun my motion sound amp , ended up returning it . long story short , i have a newfound respect for 

motion sound , their newer line up is quite good , everything sounded better through it  ( plus it's stereo ) , includeing my hx3 based clone organ

On 7/26/2023 at 1:04 PM, ProfD said:

That's easy. 

Lift the Grandstage.  Put in the case.  Take it out to the vehicle.  Bring the Grandstage back into the house. 

Perform the same drill with the Rhodes as you have done many times already. 

Let us know if your Grandstage excitement remains unchanged. 😁😎

Oh, yeah, I get it. I gigged for years using “fake” Rhodes first from a Kurzweill, then from a Casio PX5s, and got lots of compliments from audience and band mates about how good my Rhodes sound was, I was tweaking it and developing it all the time. But to my ears and fingers, it just never felt right. So the Grandstage, great as it is, still feels like a step backwards from the joy of playing perspective. But, as I’m delving deeper into it, I’m finding that I really like the GS Wurlitzer patches, it really sounds and feels like the 200a I sold years ago and regret. So there is that. 

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

1 hour ago, Dave Ferris said:

This is music related as it lets me focus and concentrate while practicing again.

Yesterday in the middle of this brutal heat wave we've been having, we installed a new LG mini-split one ton/10,000btu 115v unit in my 20'  X 20' studio, to replace the Gree which prematurely bit the dust at 6 years old, one year out of warranty.

Rather then throw more more at the Gree to find where and why it was leaking and not holding coolant, on the advice of our HVAC guy, we replaced it. The LG has a 10 year warranty.

We already had the existing electrical in place, so it wasn't like starting from scratch. My HVAC guy knocked $450 off the original estimate, I think he felt bad that the Gree (that he recommended & installed 6 years ago) failed right out of the warranty period. How often will you find a company that will do that ?

The new LG mini-split is phenomenal ! I just turned it on as the studio was heating up. I set it at 70 with the fan on medium and left for 15 minutes. I came back in and it felt like a meat locker ! I had to turn the temp up to 74 and the fan down to low. An hour later it was still too cold and I bumped it up to 76. It looks identical to the Gree but even when that was new, it it took a solid hour to cool the room down. Really happy !

C1D5402D-7149-4484-ADBA-00A8B10DF110_1_201_a.jpeg

C20A479E-02AF-44B1-BC5C-AABC960E6E28_1_201_a.jpeg

The best thing you can do for that piano, Dave.  If you’re comfortable, that wood is comfortable.  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 2 weeks later...

Just arrived yesterday, purchased used on Reverb.com. I've been using a Roland Jupiter-80 over a Yamaha S70XS in my live rig for years. This will eventually replace the JP-80, which will shave about 10 pounds (including the cases) and 7 inches off my load in/out burden. The Fantom will also give me more real-time control over B3 tones for gigs where I don't bring my SK Pro. (The organs on the JP-80 are pretty good for my needs, but the touchscreen drawbars are just about useless.)

fantom_6_top_gal.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A