Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

I have a bit of a weakness for Orchestral Libraries.

I browse the big guns from time to time, and when taking into account my exchange rate, usually move on with disappointment.

Well this time, the noose tightened on me with East West Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition. They were having a 60 percent off sale, and apparently it's not all that common. I pulled the trigger at 1:00 am in the morning! I'm a glutton for punishment, as I'm now faced with the humongous task of downloading 955GB.

Last year I upgraded to Komplete 14 CE, as some of you are doing now, which in total is similar, but lots of smaller chunks to deal with. As I already had a lot of the libraries being an upgrade, it was not that daunting, and I still haven't download everything on Native Access yet.

But.........The EW String library is over 400GB alone, as one download session item. Luckily it is segmented into separate zips, but it will be days before I'm able to finish downloading just this library to check it out. Not in favour of waiting weeks for a posted hard drive either.

• Like 2

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

11 hours ago, DeltaJockey said:

I have a bit of a weakness for Orchestral Libraries.

Well this time, the noose tightened on me with East West Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition. They were having a 60 percent off sale, and apparently it's not all that common. I pulled the trigger at 1:00 am in the morning! I'm a glutton for punishment, as I'm now faced with the humongous task of downloading 955GB

But.........The EW String library is over 400GB alone, as one download session item. Luckily it is segmented into separate zips, but it will be days before I'm able to finish downloading just this library to check it out. Not in favour of waiting weeks for a posted hard drive either.

I bought it last time they had a big sale.  I had to dedicate a 1tb ssd in the Mac Pro just for it. 

• Like 1

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

Sigh.  I've hung up my VPC-1 (highbrow) for an RD-2000 (lowbrow).  I hereby demote myself from pianist to keyboardist...   The RD 2000 was used from GC but cleaned up pretty well.  At some point I'll probably refine my slightly bumpy paint job.  My overall impression of Rolands and Yamahas as invulnerable to all harm stands.  Relatively speaking of course...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Melving said:

Sigh.  I've hung up my VPC-1 (highbrow) for an RD-2000 (lowbrow).  I hereby demote myself from pianist to keyboardist...   The RD 2000 was used from GC but cleaned up pretty well.  At some point I'll probably refine my slightly bumpy paint job.  My overall impression of Rolands and Yamahas as invulnerable to all harm stands.  Relatively speaking of course...

Just curious, why did you stop playing your VPC-1? I recently sold my MP11SE, and it was more to do with me than the instrument.

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

So for me at least, the VPC 1 action was a bit on the heavy side.  I tend to spend more of my time in semi improvisational things than actually reading sheet music, and I just didn't find the VPC 1 inviting.  The RD action is much lighter, not to mention having a sound set.   Also, in line with my improvisational behavior, the need to constantly fire up a VST host is a bit of a pain.  I have, over the years, basically reinvented a rompler in Cantabile, but it's always needing some maintenance (understatement!).  There's also the long standing Roland fetish that was triggered by an XP 80 many moons ago, that started my descent into the keyboard world.  Uli saw the prices and started a music company.  I saw the prices and got a previously broken Casio. 

I know some people want to build finger strength on a VPC 1.  The only other instrument I play is a grand at church that is much lighter than the VPC 1, so I don't have that need.

Been a pretty smooth, and good transition so far, except that I haven't yet gotten a hacked together music stand in front of the second tier.  My 10 year old can't read the music if it's too far away.  One thing I've noted is that very few of these massive studio pictures include a music stand :)

• Like 2

Finally pulled the trigger on Model D. It sounds great for fusion leads and basses. Just have to learn how to program it on the fly. I mostly use filter envelope and turning oscilators on and off to quickly go from simple lead to fat Chameleon bass. Also using Kurzweil delay does not hurt 🙂

moog.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/5/2023 at 3:05 AM, Stefan011 said:

Finally pulled the trigger on Model D. It sounds great for fusion leads and basses. Just have to learn how to program it on the fly. I mostly use filter envelope and turning oscilators on and off to quickly go from simple lead to fat Chameleon bass. Also using Kurzweil delay does not hurt 🙂

moog.jpg

Nice! I just need some easy way to throw some delay on my Boog and then I think I would take it on gigs. 

3 hours ago, Dave Number Four said:

Nice! I just need some easy way to throw some delay on my Boog and then I think I would take it on gigs. 

Yes, Boog sounds great with delay! I feed it into Forte input and control the amount with one of the faders.

A pair of Alto TX310 speakers.  Low power, not a ton of bottom-end, but they're perfect for small venues or stage monitors (I don't usually like my monitors super loud anyway), and they're extremely lightweight.

• Like 2

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

New to me Forte 7 from forumite @vonnor arrived today (sale thread with pics here )!

In the few years before Covid hit I downsized significantly (sold an RD-700GX, M3-61, PC3le6, and a D-50) with the intent of replacing the RD with something similar but maybe not quite as long/heavy, and replacing the two 61-key boards with a single gig-friendly instrument that could fit in tight spaces. Because of the pandemic and the lack of gigs of any kind, I never got around to the "replace" portion of my "rip and replace" plan. All I had left was my PX-5S, which has been a reliable workhorse for occasional piano gigs and theater projects driving Mainstage, but it's not been quite the right fit for some more involved non-Mainstage projects that have started to crop up over the last year.

So, I'm looking at this board to be my gigging instrument whenever I can get away with only 73 keys (which should be most of the time). Woohoo!

• Like 4

On 6/8/2023 at 7:33 PM, kenheeter said:

Yamaha YC73. Added to my collection which includes Numa X Piano 73, Crumar Seventeen, Crumar Mojo61 with lower manual, Gemini module, D9x drawbars. My B3/122 lives permanently in my friend's studio. 

Congratz man. Impressive list of cool gear

How would you compare the Numa X and the YC73 in terms of sounds, action etc. ?

I've read some comments here saying the Numa kicks the YC's a** in almost every category and I was surprised because of the steep price difference.

lastly if you were to only keep 1 of them, just in terms of absolutely best. Which one would it be?

thanks

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

27 minutes ago, George88 said:

I regret selling my Kronos 2 and picked up a Nautilus 73.

Keep looking, sometimes you can find an used Kronos in great shape. Then you decide if you sell your Nautilus or keep it with a "new" Kronos.

I can't really say which one I would keep. I'll know better after a few gigs with the YC73.  The Numa's TP110 is really nice for piano playing and the sounds are very good. It can split with 4 zones including external zones which the YC73 cannot do. They both have excellent USB implementation but I think the Numa is much more powerful as a midi controller.  Of course the YC73 has great organ with drawbars, which the Numa doesn't have. So, for the moment I can see situations where one of them will be a better choice than the other and I expect I'll keep both for that reason. When you add up the price of both it's still less than a Nord Stage and I don't care for the TP100 in the Stage 76 and playing piano on the Stage 73 is awful.  So for now they're both keepers. I'll report back if that changes.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2023 at 6:51 PM, BluMunk said:

New to me Forte 7 from forumite @vonnor arrived today (sale thread with pics here )!

So, I'm looking at this board to be my gigging instrument whenever I can get away with only 73 keys (which should be most of the time). Woohoo!

WTF??? Those Bastages at FedEx lost 3 whole keys during shipment??? 😲

😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

On 6/12/2023 at 10:33 AM, vonnor said:

WTF??? Those Bastages at FedEx lost 3 whole keys during shipment??? 😲

😉

😛 ... I got subconsciously influenced by all the discussion of YC73s. But the Forte is a much better instrument. It's 3 whole notes better!

• Haha 2

Hah, that's easy: the first $20 I dropped in the MPN fund for the site! :rimshot::cheers:

• Thanks 1

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

49 minutes ago, David Emm said:

Hah, that's easy: the first $20 I dropped in the MPN fund for the site! :rimshot::cheers:

Same here!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

JG3 Tech 24-note pedalboard for my Frankenclone/Faux-gan...to be used solely at home.

Hasn't arrived yet, but I'm plenty excited to get on the pedals again.

Also, the Lester-K I've had for a few weeks.  Very easy to get that nasty, spitting early Jimmy McGriff sound out of it, if that's what one is after (I am, lots of times, but it isn't limited to that sound at all).  No, I'm not too pleased with using the stomp-box style buttons to change the "Leslie" speed, but I'll get used to it, I guess.

It's been a while since i posted in this thread...let's catch up the last few months.

Samson SM-10 Line Mixer - for the live rig, to consolidate down to two outputs for the sound tech.

Line6 Variax 600 modeling guitar

Roland GR-55 guitar synth

Cordoba C4-CE acoustic-electric classical guitar

Fishman Loudbox Mini

More TRS cables for the studio

More musician's earplugs (ETYplugs)

Iorio Accorgan converted to a midi system - came with a Rolls Midiwizard

Technics WSA1-R rack synth (not a common unit at all, came with the midi accordion)

• Cool 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

13 hours ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

Iorio Accorgan converted to a midi system - came with a Rolls Midiwizard

Technics WSA1-R rack synth (not a common unit at all, came with the midi accordion)

GASP! That Technics synth is a real prize. Its one of those legendary early instruments that took a stab at physical modeling. I got to play the keyboard version back when I was just beginning to grasp subtractive, but even being near-clueless, I had a great time. If it was released in an updated form now, it'd be good competition for the Osmose and a few other advanced forms of synth life. I don't know how you intend to apply it, if at all, but its a major secret enhancement for a studio. When you play a huge, shifting chord-animal and people first look at the SPEAKERS, you know there's some serious magic going on.

• Thanks 1

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"