Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

Sequential Take 5. On sale for $1350 usd. First gig with it last night. I love it so far, but it's my first real hardware synth so the bar is pretty low. 

It's doing double duty controlling the B3 on my YC88 and making its own noises. I haven't figured out a way to switch between those roles without pushing a button on both keyboards, but I can live with that. And the action's pretty nice for B3, although I'm not really an organ guy so not too picky. 

PXL_20231126_010846492.jpg

• Like 3

The more ancient I get the younger I think in many ways so....   Back in my recording days starting in the actual tape world, then later before I retired went back recording in the digital world and using ProTools because that is what the place I worked for used.   Now retired and going new directions I just bought Ableton Live a pretty difference approach but I think will be a lot of fun.   

Lets get this party started.  

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Ableton Push 3 Standalone

With Live 12 coming in the near future, I looked into the Push 3 as a potential controller for it.  The MPE capable playing pads appealed to me.  I was leaning towards getting the controller version.  The 20% of standalone promo got me to reconsider the standalone.  In the end I decided to go for the standalone.

I'll mostly be exploring it as its own instrument.

• Like 1

Yamaha RX17.  Cool little drum machine.  Just tried programming it.  Not too difficult.

• Like 2

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

• 2 weeks later...

Upgraded my 1974 Rhodes Mark I with a Retro Flyer preamp from Avion last week:

https://www.avionstudios.com/rhodes/retroflyer

The procedure was pretty easy, it took longer than the 15 minutes promised on the web site, but I was trying to be cautious. No soldering needed, and the instructions were pretty clear.

Really digging it, i"m running it into a Radial KL-8 and mixing it with several other keys and a computer hosting Mainstage. I had problems with getting enough signal from the Rhodes to sit with the other keys, and it always sounded kind of mushy, even though I was using a preamp pedal. With the Retro Flyer, I'm getting a really strong, clear signal, and it sounds fantastic. In rehearsal last night, my bandmates commented that the Rhodes had never sounded so present and clear.

There are only a few downsides I'm noticing. FIrstly, since it's an active preamp, the Rhodes now requires AC power. I ran the power cord out by the LH end cheek, but I might find a better/more solid way to mount and route it. Also, the controls are now 2 stacked dual pots, and the master volume is on the center of the left knob, with the Rright knobs controlling the stereo tremelo, numerous times during rehearsal, I reached over to adjust the volume and grabbed the wrong knob just out of muscle memory.

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3068.jpg

IMG_3069.jpg

IMG_3070.jpg

IMG_3073.jpg

• Like 4
  • Cool 1
  • Love 2

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Splurged a bit this year for Christmas as I rebuild my live rig for 2024.

Nord Stage 4 73

Roland Fantom 08

Pianoteq

Korg VST Collection 4

KeyLargo 

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

I was visiting a Chicago area piano dealer and they had this Korg DW8000 on the wall. Completely mint condition other than the missing tip on the joystick. I've always had a soft spot for this synth. Not something I needed at all but he made me an offer I could not refuse.

410930729_18298616344177456_6058272562212304269_n.thumb.jpg.aeb1eb064c12d1f309a7a29b2c53082c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Cool 1
  • Love 2
  • Dislike 1

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

1 hour ago, Mike Martin said:

I was visiting a Chicago area piano dealer and they had this Korg DW8000 on the wall. Completely mint condition other than the missing tip on the joystick. I've always had a soft spot for this synth. Not something I needed at all but he made me an offer I could not refuse.

I had a PAIR of these at one point. It was the first synth that came equipped with a DDL, which felt amazing. I bought an MEX-8000 and gradually turned one bank into a Klaus Schulze-y wonderland. It was an excellent platform, especially since I'd never possessed a wavetable synth before.The keys were klacky, but both were excellent controllers. That was the synth that led me to some serious Joystick Luv. I guess it worked; I stepped up to an 01W & later, a TR 61, the last of the Triton line. Color me Korg.   

• Like 1

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

9 hours ago, Ed A. said:

I just ordered this:

native-instruments-kontrol-s61-mk3-1.jpg

It took 3 units total from Sweetwater for me to get one with non-jumpy velocity response from black keys and with all the keytops level with one another.

Fatar's poor QC rears it's ugly head again. But once you get a good one, both the action and software integration is great!

More details (with videos and photos) here:

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/18315/kontrol-s61-s49-mk3-velocity-response/p1

1 hour ago, davinwv said:

It took 3 units total from Sweetwater for me to get one with non-jumpy velocity response from black keys and with all the keytops level with one another.

Fatar's poor QC rears it's ugly head again. But once you get a good one, both the action and software integration is great!

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/18315/kontrol-s61-s49-mk3-velocity-response/p1

Thanks for the info. I’ll see about canceling the order and wait to see what Arturia does with a KeyLab MKIII, or reconsider the Korg Keystage 61.

3 hours ago, Ed A. said:

Thanks for the info. I’ll see about canceling the order and wait to see what Arturia does with a KeyLab MKIII, or reconsider the Korg Keystage 61.

I didn't mean to introduce doubt or make you cancel your order. I just thought a heads up would be nice.

I really like it now that I have a good one!

TC Electronic Hall of Fame reverb pedal for the Mojo 61. Saw where Don Airey of Deep Purple replaced his falling-apart Hammond spring reverb with this. Night and day over the onboard reverb on the Mojo. Very "springy" and very cool.

20231226_205940 (1).jpg

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

On 12/24/2023 at 8:40 AM, davinwv said:

I decided to take delivery from FedEx of my Kontrol S61 MK3 today (instead of sending it back for something else) and everything seems to be good so far. The action is very nice, excellent feel, no velocity response problems at all. Software integration is pretty amazing, loads all my Arturia and NI instruments seamlessly. Guess I got lucky. 😌

18 hours ago, Ed A. said:

I decided to take delivery from FedEx of my Kontrol S61 MK3 today (instead of sending it back for something else) and everything seems to be good so far. The action is very nice, excellent feel, no velocity response problems at all. Software integration is pretty amazing, loads all my Arturia and NI instruments seamlessly. Guess I got lucky. 😌

Awesome! I'm glad you got a good one.

• Thanks 1

Gator mini speaker stand. Will be used with my single ELX200-10P speaker, now that my older Yamaha MSR100 has given up the ghost (for gig use anyways). The MSR100 had no pole mount, so I didn't want to have one speaker on a pole and one not for gigs. Not an issue any longer.

Gator-Mini-Speaker-Stand.jpg

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I bought PositiveGrid Bias FX2 to use it with Arturia Clavinet for my new Forbidden Myth record...

• Like 1

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

On 12/24/2023 at 5:58 AM, Ed A. said:

I just ordered this:

native-instruments-kontrol-s61-mk3-1.jpg

I am waiting for the new Arturia Keylab Mk3. If they will not present it in NAMM 2024 i will go for this...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com