Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

• 6 months later...

New OS Update with a new Leslie model: FB Post

Legend Soul Release 1.04

In this new version you will find some important improvements like
New Rotary simulation model (via editor) developed with MExkeys - MeX ( Different from the current Rotary simulation, in order to satisfy the all organists’ needs);
Improved Keyclick;
Improved Expression pedal behaviour.

MexKeys (who helped develop it) demos it

Now I have to ask seriously. Why my XK5 doesn't get a new Leslie and other improvements while newer supposedly "downgrade" models from H-S get?

Gear: Nord Stage 3 76HP, Moog Little Phatty Stage II, Hammond XK5, Solina String Ensemble

My Bands: Aperco, Ummagumma, Amity Band

9 hours ago, Aperkeys said:

Now I have to ask seriously. Why my XK5 doesn't get a new Leslie and other improvements while newer supposedly "downgrade" models from H-S get?

You would think that the flagship model in your lineup would have the latest upgrade, especially a leslie sim upgrade.

Kurzweil's flagship (the K2700) actually has inferior pianos than the former flagship (Forte).  There is a technical reason for that explained in another subject.  Perhaps there are technical reasons why the XK5 doesn't get a leslie improvement. 

BTW, the leslie upgrade on the Soul is different than the previous version, I don't know though that it sounds any "better".  It's all subjective I guess.  My point of reference is my own B3/122, that is always what I try to match my clones to from an organ tone and leslie perspective.  As each Beast's tone can sound a little different (most due to aging of the various components, whether original or replaced along the way) that is where the subjectivity comes into play.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

12 hours ago, Aperkeys said:

New OS Update with a new Leslie model: FB Post

MexKeys (who helped develop it) demos it

Mmmm...how should I put this?  Viscount kind of HAD TO accomplish an update to their internal sim.

The XK5 (and 3c for that matter) really just require user editing. It's quite decent. Yes a real vintage leslie is even better (w any clone)

46 minutes ago, JoJoB3 said:

Mmmm...how should I put this?  Viscount kind of HAD TO accomplish an update to their internal sim.

The XK5 (and 3c for that matter) really just require user editing. It's quite decent. Yes a real vintage leslie is even better (w any clone)

I spent countless hours on the XK5 Leslie sim, it always sounded flat to me so I gave up and got a Vent. I guess it's a matter of taste in the end. Yet the principle of offering improvements and alternatives via OS updates is valuable on my side. 

3 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

You would think that the flagship model in your lineup would have the latest upgrade, especially a leslie sim upgrade.

Kurzweil's flagship (the K2700) actually has inferior pianos than the former flagship (Forte).  There is a technical reason for that explained in another subject.  Perhaps there are technical reasons why the XK5 doesn't get a leslie improvement. 

BTW, the leslie upgrade on the Soul is different than the previous version, I don't know though that it sounds any "better".  It's all subjective I guess.  My point of reference is my own B3/122, that is always what I try to match my clones to from an organ tone and leslie perspective.  As each Beast's tone can sound a little different (most due to aging of the various components, whether original or replaced along the way) that is where the subjectivity comes into play.

I hope someone can shed some light on that subject. But while Kurzweil's case is an interesting one, I have to wonder why "downgraded" XK-5-based-organs get better OD and Leslie sims (A matter of taste, again) while The option is not also given to the flagship. The cases might be similar, but I think in the end it's a matter of "second-tier" products enjoying upgrades not available to the flagship, on H-S's side.

To sum it up, I won't be changing my XK5 soon, despite my thoughts, yet I'm genuinely happy for the Viscount Soul users who got a good update. 

Gear: Nord Stage 3 76HP, Moog Little Phatty Stage II, Hammond XK5, Solina String Ensemble

My Bands: Aperco, Ummagumma, Amity Band

Spent some time with the Legend (not Soul) yesterday, because it's been on my radar. I was glad I had a chance to lay hands on. I loved the raw organ sound. The action was not for me. Too stiff--even stiffer than my NS3C, in its way. The internal sim was also not really believable to me. I did like the tonewheel model options (Option 2, the "50," sounded particularly nice to me.) Crosstalk setting was nice. Keyclick seemed hard to get really popping, even at full engagement. The build/fit/finish was stellar. I'm curious to check out the Soul and see what Joey D did with that raw material.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

21 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

Spent some time with the Legend (not Soul) yesterday, because it's been on my radar. I was glad I had a chance to lay hands on. I loved the raw organ sound. The action was not for me. Too stiff--even stiffer than my NS3C, in its way. The internal sim was also not really believable to me. I did like the tonewheel model options (Option 2, the "50," sounded particularly nice to me.) Crosstalk setting was nice. Keyclick seemed hard to get really popping, even at full engagement. The build/fit/finish was stellar. I'm curious to check out the Soul and see what Joey D did with that raw material.

I've got the Legend Soul 273 and am very pleased. Quite different from the original Legend. I'm not sure, but believe the keyed is lighter touch and the Leslie is definitely improved. In fact, since I got it they issued an update that further improved the Leslie sim.

I was on YouTube ...saw a version of Joey D. playing "100 Ways " at the NAMM show.....of course he tore it up and did everything there was to do on organ ....and I thought.....how can anyone deny how great Key B instruments are? I forgot to check the date...I was assuming I was hearing Legend Soul..... but....the date was 2020. It was a Legend BEFORE the contact upgrade                                                                                      I was very into Key B early on......a little before Numa 1. I remember some of the bitching bout that and claims from endorsees of other companies about latency ...complete load of crap. I was so grateful to have that Numa and loved it ....now I have Viscount module. Would love to hear Soul but honestly......I just go back to tonewheel at that price. Probably I am looking for another keybed besides Fatar. My C-2 has very light action....so trying to match that at this point.

So they are finally making lighter Fatar keybeds.....ala Mojo and Legend Soul  A step in the right direction. I am using an older Casio as a controller for Viscount and Mojo modules. It is actually pretty close to my C-2.  I am gigging so much less after covid.....so not playing clonewheels out like I used to.                                                                                                                                                                                                                       I had a major discovery....it was how good the 2 series Hammonds are. The local piano store GAVE me a free C- 2 and delivered it. Spent the 300 bucks on Trek percussion.....and did the mod on the vibrato pot....different cap value. I would not at this point be lusting after the latest clonewheels. It's great that they are doing the contacts.....but for now ....Legend module and controller will do.

13 hours ago, mrk7421 said:

So they are finally making lighter Fatar keybeds

I don't believe it has been confirmed that the Legend Soul action is sourced from Fatar, has it?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I found this in the comments, re. JoeyD's YT-demo of the Soul and if it has Fatar keys:

"Actually, no Viscount makes the hybrid 9 contact system in house and is proprietary. So unless someone re-engineers it, won’t be available anywhere else anytime soon."

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone who owns a Soul been able to load the new "presets" and sounds from the Viscount website?  I have not been able to and am wondering what i'm doing wrong.  I loaded them on a flash drive, but then the Soul doesn't seem to see them on the drive when i go to the load setting.  I know its recognizing the drive because i'm able save presets to the drive, and i was able to load the new firmware.  

Any advice would be welcome!  I've emailed viscount but received no response.  

Also, my Soul has a slight rattle in the wood on the right hand side.  It's really noticeable when i'm practicing with headphones.  If i hold the wood next to the manuals, it stops the rattle.  if anyone else has experienced this and has solutions that would be great as well!  

• 4 weeks later...

I got a Soul 261 as an upgrade to my Legend Live. It is using 1.04 software. While I’m happy with the improvements I’m also very disappointed that some of the features of the Live have been removed:
1. Midi: the Live could be set to transmit midi from either keyboard when the two preset buttons were pressed at the same time (expander mode). This is not the case with the Soul. The midi can only be switched on or off globally. This makes it virtually impossible to use the Soul in a gigging situation as a midi keyboard connected to an external device (in my case an iPad). With the Live I could easily switch to another sound (eg electric piano) on the iPad, but with the Soul it is either transmitting all the time or not at all, meaning for practical purposes I have to bring another keyboard along if I want to use both Soul organ sounds and external module sounds at a gig. I have not been able to figure out a work-around for this.
2. Rotary Gain knob: on the Live the drive knob was active when using the internal rotary simulator and a Leslie via the 11-pin output. However with the Soul when connected to a Leslie the Rotary drive knob is inactive. This can be worked around by using the Rotary Preamp setting in the effects. But means that the other effects are unavailable! And the rotary drive knob is still inactive and does nothing.
I play thru a Leslie all the time at home but use the internal simulator on gigs mostly. On occasion I have used both on a gig - Leslie on stage and simulator output thru the PA. This is not going to work properly anymore, unless one is willing to forego the use of the other effects.

3. When connected to an iPad via USB the audio signal is not coming through. I have checked this with an iPad and iPhone, both of which work with other keyboards, eg Yamaha CK61.
4. The second Thud setting "Manual2" is no longer available and has been removed from the original manual (1.1). I hope this is reinstated in a future update.
I'm very happy with the improved features of the Soul and had no idea that features of the Live would be removed - I'm talking mainly of the midi issue. This is unfortunately a real show-stopper for me. I sincerely hope it is fixed in a future update.

• Like 1

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

1 hour ago, John Tweed said:

I got a Soul 261 as an upgrade to my Legend Live. It is using 1.04 software. While I’m happy with the improvements I’m also very disappointed that some of the features of the Live have been removed:
1. Midi: the Live could be set to transmit midi from either keyboard when the two preset buttons were pressed at the same time (expander mode). This is not the case with the Soul. The midi can only be switched on or off globally. This makes it virtually impossible to use the Soul in a gigging situation as a midi keyboard connected to an external device (in my case an iPad). With the Live I could easily switch to another sound (eg electric piano) on the iPad, but with the Soul it is either transmitting all the time or not at all, meaning for practical purposes I have to bring another keyboard along if I want to use both Soul organ sounds and external module sounds at a gig. I have not been able to figure out a work-around for this.
2. Rotary Gain knob: on the Live the drive knob was active when using the internal rotary simulator and a Leslie via the 11-pin output. However with the Soul when connected to a Leslie the Rotary drive knob is inactive. This can be worked around by using the Rotary Preamp setting in the effects. But means that the other effects are unavailable! And the rotary drive knob is still inactive and does nothing.
I play thru a Leslie all the time at home but use the internal simulator on gigs mostly. On occasion I have used both on a gig - Leslie on stage and simulator output thru the PA. This is not going to work properly anymore, unless one is willing to forego the use of the other effects.

3. When connected to an iPad via USB the audio signal is not coming through. I have checked this with an iPad and iPhone, both of which work with other keyboards, eg Yamaha CK61.
4. The second Thud setting "Manual2" is no longer available and has been removed from the original manual (1.1). I hope this is reinstated in a future update.
I'm very happy with the improved features of the Soul and had no idea that features of the Live would be removed - I'm talking mainly of the midi issue. This is unfortunately a real show-stopper for me. I sincerely hope it is fixed in a future update.

Mmmm....
No. No on a Viscount (purchase) here.  Glad you posted this, thank you.

Unless Mr. Bianchi's and like qualified hands and mind are seen on it, all other demo's alone have said as much (to me). But these specifics cinch things. Their marketing btw...very strange.