Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Kurzweil K2061 and K2088 keyboard workstations spotted at NAMM

7 minutes ago, Franz Schiller said:

So it's a K2000 update?!?!? And not a 61 key K2700??!?! That's ....uh.... odd. But okay sure!

The number scheme is a mystery as the intention does seem to be K2700 minus audio interface and drum pads.  Anything else missing?  I’m not sure.  How different from a PC4? 

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

5 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

The number scheme is a mystery as the intention does seem to be K2700 minus audio interface and drum pads.  Anything else missing?  I’m not sure.  How different from a PC4? 

That's a great question. If they want to fill the 61-key hole, why wouldn't they simply make a PC4-61. 

Maybe the nomenclature bugs me. Why not a K2761? 

Also, Kurzweil used to have cool sounding names. The K2000 has an impressive air to it. The PC3 or the PC4 sounds good. Even the K2700 has a nice ring to it.

The K2061...meh, not so much.

I think that as musicians, the way words SOUND to us, is actually important. It's part psychological, and part marketing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Franz Schiller said:

That's a great question. If they want to fill the 61-key hole, why wouldn't they simply make a PC4-61.

A PC4-61 would presumably sell for about $1600; A K2700-61 would include a couple of pounds more iron, a wooden side plate, and sell for $2500 for the same amount of engineering effort.  I would expect Kurz inc. to go for the higher price.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

5 hours ago, Tom Williams said:

A PC4-61 would presumably sell for about $1600; A K2700-61 would include a couple of pounds more iron, a wooden side plate, and sell for $2500 for the same amount of engineering effort.  I would expect Kurz inc. to go for the higher price.

It's probably more like: "How many can we sell, at what price, giving us what total profit". If you can sell 5000 PC461s making $100 profit on each that's better than selling 1000 higher-priced K2761s with a $300 markup.

Cheers, Mike.

• 1 month later...

I really hope these are just handcrafted prototypes, as the design and materials looks terrible!

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

On 1/29/2024 at 9:48 AM, ElmerJFudd said:

I think they kind of painted themselves into a corner for naming. 

Different keyboard and case from the PC4 (I think), and missing stuff from the K2700, so to call it either one of those would have people complaining.

They should have made a PC461 and a K2761.

On 1/30/2024 at 4:55 AM, stoken6 said:

It's probably more like: "How many can we sell, at what price, giving us what total profit". If you can sell 5000 PC461s making $100 profit on each that's better than selling 1000 higher-priced K2761s with a $300 markup.

Cheers, Mike.

That's how many products are determined.  No big secret there.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

3 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

That's how many products are determined.  No big secret there.

I'll add to that, the process of customer segmentation.  No manufacturer wants to cannibalize their sales by selling a $1500 product to someone who will spend $2500.  Ideally any manufacturer wants to maximize potential sales within each segment.  

On 3/18/2024 at 5:12 PM, J.F.N. said:

I really hope these are just handcrafted prototypes, as the design and materials looks terrible!

I didn't want to be the first to say it, but I agree.

• Haha 1

I mean, look at their normally very smooth well designed hardware interface, this has to got to be NAMM rush work with the 3D-printer on max speed...

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

On 3/19/2024 at 8:22 PM, felis said:

I didn't want to be the first to say it, but I agree.

My friends at R&D told me that these were in fact hand built prototypes. Based on how the PC4 and K27 turned out, I'm optimistic that these new units will look cool when they're released.

• Like 5

I can imagine, it looks like parts from K2700 meets 3d-printing to "Look it's a new machine", in a non designer worked through way.

Looking forward to see how the new ones turns out, and what feature sets, I am in the market come 6 months down the road, for another Kurzweil, as for now the votes are on the K2700 as the mother of everything home in the studio, and then keep my PC3 for band/live activitives, leaving it in the rehearsal room etc.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

3 hours ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

I will reiterate my hope that they do a 73 version as well, although it doesn't seem that that will happen....:(

I cant think of one 73 keybed that kurzweil has.  they've had several 76 key in the arsenal over time (PC3, Artis, PC4-7 and several others).

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

The only things as far I can see (atm) that differ from PC4 according to specs are:

Resculpted K2000 synth library

Compatible with K2 era libraries

and

"Customizable algorithms" ???

Weren´t  they always?

Or does this maybe mean that we finally get those missing algorithms from the old K-series?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

3 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

I cant think of one 73 keybed that kurzweil has.  they've had several 76 key in the arsenal over time (PC3, Artis, PC4-7 and several others).

Sorry, meant 76. Sheesh.....I even have an Artis 7...and still typed 73...:(

47 minutes ago, analogholic said:

The only things as far I can see (atm) that differ from PC4 according to specs are:

Resculpted K2000 synth library

Compatible with K2 era libraries

and

"Customizable algorithms" ???

Weren´t  they

Also:

Built-in ribbon controller

Internal Power Supply

(Maybe?... probably?) Different action

...but yeah...as I said in the other thread about these boards: so far it seems like this it fills a gap (between the PC4 and the K2700) that wasn't large enough to need filling in the first place IMO.  But who knows...maybe the Kurz folks still have some surprises in store for us with these models...or maybe the pricing will make it all make sense 

18 hours ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

Sorry, meant 76. Sheesh.....I even have an Artis 7...and still typed 73...:(

The Rhodes is strong in this one...

• Haha 1

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

2 hours ago, Tom Williams said:

The Rhodes is strong in this one...

Or more likely the Nord Electro 73 I also own...although in the Before Times I did have a 73 Rhodes. But of course I was only 4 years old then....

• 1 month later...

And still no news...

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

2 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

And still no news...

The latest I've heard from my friends at Kurz R&D:

They hope to release by early fall, possibly earlier. The 61 will have a Fatar TP9, and the 88 will have a TP40L (same as K27). Both units will have an internal power supply and built in ribbon. They've said that the sound set will include old K2000 programs and will be synth-heavy. Otherwise the spec will be just about the same as PC4 - polyphony, sample memory, MIDI control, etc.

Note I no longer work for Kurz and don't speak for them. This is just what I've heard - the ETA could change. Hopefully we'll get some more official news from Kurz over the summer.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the info, Dave.

This is looking good indeed: synth sounds orientation, synth touch, Cascade Mode, Dynamic Mode, DX7 FM Algs, and also one thing not mentioned often enough: the insane work done on improving Arps in between the K2600 and the CP3 and onward.

I do have some doubts:

I don't think we'll see Live Mode come back here (from the K25xxS and K26xxS era), but if we do, that would be AMAZING. Also amazing would be the incorporation of the Vocoder, but here again, not sure that will happen.

Some people want the Sampling ability, but for me that is less important nowadays since we can load user samples from the computer, which definitely seems to be in the specs list so far.

Give us good SysEx docs too.

All in all, I hope this makes a big splash with the synth-orientation: more people will demo the synth sounds of new V.A.S.T... There seems to be at least one whole generation of people who don't know the abilities of this platform as a Synth-builder or Multi-Effects-builder!

I feel things are about to change.

Kurzweil K2500XS + KDFX, Roland: JX-3P, JX-8P, Korg: Polysix, DW-8000, Alesis Micron, DIY Analogue Modular

8 hours ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

Dave, do you think Kurz has abandoned 76 key versions?

I was thinking the same, I guess we will have to wait and see..

I am about to source a Forte 7, there are still stores here in Europe with it in stock, so it'd definitely be interesting to know..

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -