Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My dad played a gig with Liberace. In 1960.

I thought the forum might appreciate this story. It's one that I've heard about most of my life, though only recently some more of the details came into focus as we are working to move my dad out of his house into a senior living facility. My dad will be 82 this year and is still quite lucid mentally, though he has lots of physical/mobility challenges.

As we've been clearing out his house, lots of memorabilia bits have been found, and it has generated new interest and recollection of stories from the past.

My dad is an accomplished pianist, having earned a music degree and some post graduate work back in the day. He was my primary inspiration as a young child when he would play piano daily as I played with my toys and rode my rocking horse. He was mostly a jazz guy and had the Dave Brubeck Time Out repertoire committed to memory.

Anyways, in 1960 my dad auditioned for the chance to perform with Liberace, who was doing a thing around the US whereby he would travel to state fairs and put on a big "Piano Pyramid" show where 50 pianists were playing grand pianos on staggered platforms, with Liberace at the top platform leading the whole thing. My dad was one of the 50 pianists in Kentucky to perform in the 1960 Kentucky State Fair with Liberace. As we were clearing some closets out, we found a signed Liberace print that had been rolled up in storage, and also have tracked down the local newspaper with a picture of my dad on the front page with Liberace.

I found all of this to be very interesting and plan to have the signed print framed and put alongside the Kawai grand piano my dad has just passed along to me as part of the moving process.  It would be really cool if there was a recording available.

I attached a few pictures. That's my dad on the right side next to Liberace.

IMG_2414.jpeg

IMG_2062.jpeg

image0.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Cool 1

Brotha E that is a very cool story. Might even call it....wait....LAW(some).🤣😎

• Love 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

8 hours ago, eric said:

He was my primary inspiration as a young child when he would play piano daily as I played with my toys and rode my rocking horse. He was mostly a jazz guy and had the Dave Brubeck Time Out repertoire committed to memory.

Great story -- and an even greater inspiration!

Thanks for sharing the story and images.

Old No7

• Like 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

On 2/15/2024 at 9:50 AM, eric said:

I thought the forum might appreciate this story. It's one that I've heard about most of my life, though only recently some more of the details came into focus as we are working to move my dad out of his house into a senior living facility. My dad will be 82 this year and is still quite lucid mentally, though he has lots of physical/mobility challenges.

As we've been clearing out his house, lots of memorabilia bits have been found, and it has generated new interest and recollection of stories from the past.

My dad is an accomplished pianist, having earned a music degree and some post graduate work back in the day. He was my primary inspiration as a young child when he would play piano daily as I played with my toys and rode my rocking horse. He was mostly a jazz guy and had the Dave Brubeck Time Out repertoire committed to memory.

Anyways, in 1960 my dad auditioned for the chance to perform with Liberace, who was doing a thing around the US whereby he would travel to state fairs and put on a big "Piano Pyramid" show where 50 pianists were playing grand pianos on staggered platforms, with Liberace at the top platform leading the whole thing. My dad was one of the 50 pianists in Kentucky to perform in the 1960 Kentucky State Fair with Liberace. As we were clearing some closets out, we found a signed Liberace print that had been rolled up in storage, and also have tracked down the local newspaper with a picture of my dad on the front page with Liberace.

I found all of this to be very interesting and plan to have the signed print framed and put alongside the Kawai grand piano my dad has just passed along to me as part of the moving process.  It would be really cool if there was a recording available.

I attached a few pictures. That's my dad on the right side next to Liberace.

IMG_2414.jpeg

IMG_2062.jpeg

That right there is a cool signature. Wow!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dave Weiser said:

That right there is a cool signature. Wow!

No joke!!!! I bet he had that piano sketch down to muscle memory! I have nothing that cool...this is as close as it gets for me.

My touring band from the '80s and '90s eventually became "almost famous enough" to sign autographs and we actually do an annual cancer benefit where our items are auctioned off to benefit the charity, so we are STILL signing posters, t-shirts, and guitars, etc.

I realized about 30 years ago that I needed to up my signature game and so what you see here is about the best I can do. It's nowhere near as cool as Liberace!

IMG_2440.jpeg

• Like 1

That's some cool family history, Eric! Best wishes to your family and your father on his move.

In keeping with the topic, the Liberace Foundation donated the use of Liberace's "Dancing Waters" piano to Styx for a recent run of shows at The Venetian Theater in Vegas:

• Like 1

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

• 2 months later...

Hi, Eric. I happened upon your story about Liberace and your dad. I'm the historian for the Kentucky State Fair and I'd love to chat with you about this memory. If you're cool with that please email me at Stephanie.Seber@kyvenues.com. Thanks!

• Like 2

Thank you for the kind words and interest in this story. It is very fascinating to have known most of my life that "my dad once played a show with Liberace," though most of these additional details have only come into focus this year.

Since my early post in February when we were working on clearing his house and getting him moved to a senior living facility (mostly independent living), he has been in and out of the hospital several times with various health challenges. He's currently in a skilled nursing rehab and hoping he can get back to the place we just moved him in February. It's not easy watching your loved ones in declining health.

My dad, being a long time resident of Kentucky, loves the Kentucky Derby. When I was a young kid, we visited Claiborne Farms and met Secretariat. There are pictures of this somewhere. To help bring him some joy this past weekend, I snuck some nice KY bourbon into his rehab place and we watched the KY Derby while sipping some bourbon on ice.

• Like 1

Now THAT'S an autograph!

• Like 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson