Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Where to put egg shakers

I bring a pair of egg shakers to gigs in case one or both of my hands are doing nothing in certain songs. I'm looking for a holder that can keep them close by, that can clamp to my keyboard stand. Has anyone solved this problem? There are plenty of "tray"-type solutions, but they won't stop eggs from rolling away.

Cheers, Mike.

Put a small strip of adhesive "velcro" on your keyboard. Put a small piece of the appropriate velcro on each egg. Just stick them to the keyboard when not in use.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

8 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

I bring a pair of egg shakers to gigs in case one or both of my hands are doing nothing in certain songs. I'm looking for a holder that can keep them close by, that can clamp to my keyboard stand. Has anyone solved this problem? There are plenty of "tray"-type solutions, but they won't stop eggs from rolling away.

Cheers, Mike.

https://www.amazon.com/Joyeee-Waterproof-Shockproof-Shatterproof-Refrigerator/dp/B0C7PYRXKS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

27 minutes ago, Docbop said:

Put a string on them like Ben Wa Balls and you can hang them off your stand.   You might make some new friends at gigs <grin>

Ben_Wa_balls.thumb.jpg.aec73ac4c5357028208c0ca8eba09ce1.jpg

#50shadesofgroove

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Docbop said:

Put a string on them like Ben Wa Balls and you can hang them off your stand.   You might make some new friends at gigs <grin>

Does anyone else now hear Chuck Berry singing "My Ding-a-ling" when viewing that image?

"2 balls on the end of a string..."

Old No7

• Like 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

6 minutes ago, JoJoB3 said:

I know where you can put em.

And then "shake your money maker..."

:D

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

4 hours ago, Docbop said:

I'm just grateful that someone posted this before I did ...

• Like 2

I'd anchor a bowl with velcro, and put the shakers in the bowl.  That way the velcro doesn't eat the HF from the shakers' sound.  If you are going with a mic stand, get a cup holder and just drop them into that.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Are these the big ones or the small ones? I find that the big ones (and mine are SUPER huge), don't tend to roll around, maybe due to center of gravity vs. curvature compared to the more typical small ones.

Nevertheless, the first thing that came to mind was velcro. It shouldn't affect the sound.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Thanks for all the sensible and silly suggestions. I should stress that I'm looking for something that can clamp to a tube on my keyboard stand (not to sit in my refrigerator, or on my kitchen countertop). The cupholder was the first thing I thought of, but most that I've seen are a little small to hold a pair of 2.5inx1.5in eggs.

Cheers, Mike.

Hence the Amazon plastic eggholder I sent ya, cut the "lid" off, attach the remaining "bottom" egg holder to whatever type of clamp that works on to your stand. No idea what stand you use but I am sure you have a clue about how you could attach something to it, like this one:

preview.jpg

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

4 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

Hence the Amazon plastic eggholder I sent ya, cut the "lid" off, attach the remaining "bottom" egg holder to whatever type of clamp that works on to your stand. No idea what stand you use but I am sure you have a clue about how you could attach something to it, like this one:

You're right there's no problem attaching the clamp to the stand. I'm not clear how to attach your amazon link to the clamp. It looks like it's made of ABS - if I try and drill it I'm concerned it will crack/shatter.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

You're right there's no problem attaching the clamp to the stand. I'm not clear how to attach your amazon link to the clamp. It looks like it's made of ABS - if I try and drill it I'm concerned it will crack/shatter.

Cheers, Mike.

Glue gun?

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

11 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

Not a bad idea. I'd have to buy one...

Cheers, Mike.

Buy two, try the drill first... (or use the "lid" to try first...), drilling, screwing, feels like better longevity..

Keep us posted!

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Whatever you decide keep em  close. U neva nose when the song's gonna call for em.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

2 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

True. I also found this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304961883774?chn=ps&_ul=GB which is close to what I initially envisaged, although about 50% bigger.

Cheers, Mike.

Whatever ticks your boxes, that one looks awesome!

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/11/2024 at 3:52 PM, stoken6 said:

True. I also found this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304961883774?chn=ps&_ul=GB which is close to what I initially envisaged, although about 50% bigger.

Cheers, Mike.

Well, I pulled the trigger (apologies that the forum software seems to be rotating the image).

IMG_5895.JPG.0c12b04744fee17883fa17c25f0a64fe.JPG

The tray is bigger than I need, but actually sturdy enough to hold a drink alongside two eggs.

IMG_5896.JPG.a3066dfd22155b8e87b5857208a2856e.JPG

Note: the tray simply comes with a microphone thread in its base. I have (separately) one of those "clamps-onto-a-mic-stand" mic holders that it screws onto.

Cheers, Mike.

IMG_5895.JPG

Eggcellent!

But it seems it rolled away...

:D

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

I was at Guitar Center this week with my guitarist buddy and as I told him when I get back into recording is when I'm in the drum department at GC looking for small percussion.    I picked up a couple things and seeing this thread I thought one of the shakers I got might be a better way to go than egg shakers.   I've seen others use them.  It the MEINL Artist Series Luis Conte Shaker.  It's to small plastic tube shakers that connect so they lie flat and have a small opening between the two tubes they you could hang it off a something.    Also I you can get more types of shaker sounds than a egg shaker.    They come in three sizes and sounds, below is the link to the large one.

Luis Conte Shaker at GC

On 4/9/2024 at 11:20 AM, Docbop said:

Is it Saturday night already?

• Haha 1

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2