Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Keyboard Corner

Synths, pianos, software, analog, digital, modeling, virtual instruments, programming tips - this is the place on the web for discussions, debates, opinions and assistance...and the occasional sports thread.

11594965545_282c74d7ea_o.jpg.e3b7814ba5300332fb257afa0b249ec5.jpg   

Subforums

1. Repairs and Mods

Repairs, modifications, tips, tricks and other suggestions for ailing keyboards and synthesizers.

66,925 topics in this forum

1. E-MU's MP-7

• 9 replies
    • 3 replies
  2. What´s a workstation?

• 2 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 8 replies
  3. Yo, Dr. Fortner!

• 1 reply
    • 4 replies
    • 18 replies
    • 5 replies
  4. Your onstage location?

• 12 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 1 reply
  5. Trinity VS Triton

• 6 replies
    • 15 replies
  6. Electric Piano

• 8 replies
    • 7 replies
  7. CD ROMS And books

• 2 replies
  8. Funny ELP Parody

• 0 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 15 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 3 replies
  9. Yamaha CP80

• 14 replies
    • 1.8k views
    • 9 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 6 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 0 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 3.6k views
    • 5 replies
    • 17 replies
  10. e-mu virtuoso

• 7 replies
    • 1 reply
  11. New cool gear!

• 2 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 1.9k views
  • Trending posts on MPN

• Well, thats was like choosing which future child a giant corp was going to get…   registering felt like joining a cult, so I gave them everything!!! Anonymously of course…   Regardless of the sound it makes, the user interface is a great example of NOT menu diving to get to specific parameters of each section. At first glance, all the “knobs” placed around a “screen” seemed, disconnected and haphazard… but upon actual usage i find the way the “screen”  is an additional “surface” for each section as they as actioned, to be a good choice.   And the left to right signal chain layout makes it feel like a super simplified soft deepmind…   Obviously this creates some workflow drawbacks.   the GUI has some serious lag, but nothing horrible in terms of latency with audio or realtime changes thru midi.         PEACE _ _ _
    • Hmmm...  maybe you could use the iPhone to trigger the samples running on the iPad's sampler app, sending MIDI over bluetooth (so still not needing to run any more wires)? For example...   
    • Thanks for the response and the information. Greatly appreciate it.   Rackmount
    • Someone from a famous  SF subculture band asked me once....'Billy or Elton?' ...Mind you that the same SF crowd of musicians had Nicky Hopkins in thier midst for many years and used him often...I said Billy plays like a local guy NY area Tristate guy and I told him I related to him that way as a player, so it's unfair for me sort of to have to pick I said...With the influences growing up in and around NYC, mine are similiar to Billy's in certain ways, even on Hammond Organ when Billy played only organ in clubs on Northern Blvd, and my brother and his band would run into Billy or compete for gigs ...I 've felt that since the early 70's  .... and in my piano players mind... rightly or wrongly ... he plays like a New Yorker / Tristate area guy I said... I know that is a little stupid to say, but I actually believe that.... the big Rock people tend to go more with Elton ....there is classical in Elton's playing /writing, I hear Handel and Greig.. more European based.. I can hear that in some Elton's compositions and playing... The in between folks don't like Elton as much maybe....the not purely Rock people/audiences. I too think Billy has more harmonic diversity in his playing and his technical chops I think are a little swifter ...  I said something like that to aforementioned 'rock star' who sat in with my working band often when I was with them......But for pure rock writing... After that debate and conversation, and listening and thinking about it , I feel Elton is better as a pure Rock pianist/artist  ...more straight ahead ... the song structures also...true,  he is a chord pounder... as someone said!   Different Flavors of Ice Cream for different days/people's taste....'Better' in art/music/dance is often a relative term ....  the person who asked me was a member of the 'Hot Tuna's' touring band for many years... so 'Elton' for him was the preference.  A guitarist... also, he's not a piano/keyboard player ..... I understand this!  Billy is friends with bandleaders I have worked with out East on Long Island... and had come down to a few of our(my) gigs.....that was a hairy gig for me knowing he was there ... I thanked him for his music on break..and said hello.  
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• I just bought one used two days ago.   I had in the past (a very past) the original ARP Odissey and an Avatar (the guitar version of the Odissey). They sounded quite differenti, and now I understand why: two different version of the filter. A friend of mine still have the all black one with coloured sliders, which Is again different, maybe two poles filter?   Anyway the Behringer sounds good but a bit differenti too.   My ARP had a ring modulator I used to build fabolous bell like sounds: metallic, full of harmonics.    The kind of sound you can hear on Japan Tin Drum or Oil on Canvas albums.   Until now I couldn't recreate this sound.    Neither the Avatar did. Just my ARP Odissey I sold for little Money :(
    • In V.A.S.T., be it the original V.A.S.T. or the newer vaster V.A.S.T. with Cascade and Dynamic, there are several ways you can use internal DSP sources with Samples:   1. Samples only 2. Internal DSP Oscillators only without any Sample 3. Samples mixed with internal DSP Oscillators   In the new V.A.S.T., you can certainly use a multi-sampled Keymap, alongside an internal anti-aliased DSP Osc, e.g. a 2-block SINE+ for a single Layer, or even an aliased one like the old SAW+.   For larger AA DSP Oscs, e.g. the 4-block SAW, you'd need to use Cascade Mode, a passthrough signal and a Mixer ALG.   So these aren't mutually exclusive. Instead, what the manual seems to indicate is that if you want to do a traditional analogue subtractive synth, then you'd rather not use a Keymap, which makes sense since analogue subtractive synths don't use them at all.   You can  still use a Keymap's sample Envelope if it is set to Natural, even if the Sample itself isn't sounding via the Layer, say, if you have simply a 4-block AA DSP SAW. That SAW block effectively cuts off any of the Sample signal. However, as the AMPENV mode is set to Natural, it is the factory AMPENV for that multi-Sampled Keymap that is applied to the Layer.   The Natural envelopes have more details than can be produced with a User AMPENV.   The thing that happens with setting the Keymap to Silence is that it sets each key's amplitude to the same maximum amplitude. Maybe that's what you need in a certain program, but sometimes, if you are doing an emulative program, you could be better off actually referencing the emulation's Keymaps Sample although the latter isn't heard, with the corresponding Natural Envelope, or of course, you could just go into User Mode and make your own envelope.   Hope this helps.
    • Sweetwater might accept to deliver to Canada, but you will be charged transport accordingly and as anything going USA to Canada your item will go through customs and it is always possible to end up with extra fees - sometimes very expensive. I personally had a very bad experience about 10 years ago and promised myself to never import again from the USA unless the seller confirms on paper he pays for all possible customs and duties extra fees.   Buying Kurzweil products in Canada has always been complicated. In the 1990s a few stores in the province kept a couple of them, but if you wanted something they didn't have you had to order sight unseen and wait months to get your purchase. That is how I bought my MIDIboard, K1200 and finally, around 2000, a PC2X. I hated the Fatar action on the PC2X from day one and swore to never buy a keyboard sight unseen ever again.
  • Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries