Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What´s a workstation?

Jaco

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AFAIK, the definition of "workstation" is a keyboard (or rack unit) that integrates synthesis and sequencing to the extent that a finished piece of multi-timbral music can be composed and produced using just that one machine. According to this definition, my Yamaha S-80 is not a workstation, but a synthesizer, but my K2500 Kurzweil is a workstation.

That's the keyboard world at any rate. A mixing engineer might refer to their Pro Tools rig as a workstation, but that's a somewhat different sense.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by SteveFortner:

AFAIK, the definition of "workstation" is a keyboard (or rack unit) that integrates synthesis and sequencing to the extent that a finished piece of multi-timbral music can be composed and produced using just that one machine. According to this definition, my Yamaha S-80 is not a workstation, but a synthesizer, but my K2500 Kurzweil is a workstation.

That's the keyboard world at any rate. A mixing engineer might refer to their Pro Tools rig as a workstation, but that's a somewhat different sense.

Ok, Steve, thank you very much! your answer is very clear to me.

Archived