Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

In search of Ray Lynch sounds...

stratusloop

First of all, has anyone heard of Ray Lynch? If yes, would you be able to tell me what sound module(s) he's working with or at least a close proximity there of.....If you haven't heard of him....check him out...thanks..joe

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks SteveRB...i've been to his site but he doen't divulge too much information on the technical stuff...i.e...synths, sounds etc...only thing he'll say is that he uses high quality reverbs...and that some of his sounds are traditional instruments recorded live...violin, cello,....there are 2 tracks on the Deep Breakfast that you mentioned....The Oh of Pleasure and Celestial Soda Pop....those sounds are synthesized and are the one that I'm looking for.....also beyond Deep Breakfast...he has a CD titled No Blue Thing....a track on there called the True Meaning of Mom and Dad...he said it took him about 18-20 months to finally get to the end product....for one track!!....take a listen when you can...close your eyes and tell what you see and feel....the sounds on this track are a prime example of what I'm looking for.....thanks for the reply...joe

Ray LYNCH! That's the Ray...something... I mentioned in another thread. Very good synth stuff, used to be filed under "new age", should be filed under "Ray Lynch". Genres suck.

That's some quality sound- don't be expecting to plug in some module and turn out an album that sounds like that. If you are really in to it, it will be worth your while to start studying the classics of synthesis- Wendy Carlos and Morton Subotnik will never do you wrong- and reading up on every synthesis and sampling technique possible, there is tons on the interent.

I guess you could buy an imitation, but the greatest thing about synthesis (that many musicians, even good musicians, don't get) is that DIY thing. If you want to "sound like" Ray Lynch, just rip the CD and sample it- if you want to BE like Ray Lynch, roll up your sleeves and get down!

Google it!

Be prepared to sqander the next couple of years of your life and be humbled by the guys who program those killer presets we all take for granted.

-CB

Good response, Cameron.

I listened to some of the mp3s.. I would still label him as New Age.

Duplicating stuff like that is an exercise in frustration, sometimes. A lot of the new age is the sound, the texture. Much harder to duplicate the sound then in a typical rock song with a keyboard part. Start with one synth that covers multiple bases, and learn how to get the most of it.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Originally posted by MindDrive:

yeah....then George went on to play NBA basketball for the 76ers...

...so then how'd he end up doing New Age synth music??? Sounds like a pretty versatile guy.

This message has been edited by steadyb on 08-06-2001 at 12:29 PM

Originally posted by steadyb:

...so then how'd he end up doing New Age synth music??? Sounds like a pretty versatile guy.

This message has been edited by steadyb on 08-06-2001 at 12:29 PM

not exactly....that would be Ray Lynch concerning New Age synth music....George on the other hand seems to be (ha ha) quite a master of many trades.....and that's the truth (lol)...

Originally posted by MindDrive:

First of all, has anyone heard of Ray Lynch? If yes, would you be able to tell me what sound module(s) he's working with or at least a close proximity there of.....If you haven't heard of him....check him out...thanks..joe

Ok, seriously, what are the names of some of his albums? (so that I might check them out)

steadyb

p.s. gotcha to say "oy vey"

Originally posted by steadyb:

Ok, seriously, what are the names of some of his albums? (so that I might check them out)

steadyb

p.s. gotcha to say "oy vey"

good grief.....and I suppose on a serious note....the albums you want to listen to are Deep Breakfast and No Blue Thing...thanks....joe

If you're trying to figure out how to get certain sounds out of synths and how to different things is to listen to the stuff either from the compilation CD or Dave's 'let's hear it' thread. This way you can ask questions on how people got the sounds and with what synths.

I would also check with someone who's been collecting keyboard mag for a while.. there's a remote chance they might have done an article on him.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Archived