Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to burn a CD from cakewalk

RickAme

I recently read a similar question"midi to audio dilema": one suggestion was to use a software N-tape or something like that. It cost $35. My question may be similar:

My setup: fast PC with a burner, korg keyboards connected to PC with Midiman portman, cakewalk home studio 9, and a tascam portastudio.

Question: How can I burn a CD from cakewalk?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ntracks doesn't do anything that HS doesn't do it.

You mentioned a Midiman portman. Do you also have an audio interface? You need to get the audio into your computer first. I'm assuming all you have is midi tracks. You need to record the synths playing back the midi tracks. Once you have the audio it's easy.

I don't know how the portastudio will help you here... I haven't used these things in years... it is tape based or hard disk based?

In cakewalk, 'solo' all the tracks where the audio is recorded.

Select Tools - mix down Audio - Export to Audio

In the dialog box:

Select File name

File of Type should be 'wave'

Fomat : "Mix to Stereo File'

Unselect all the mix enable check boxes

Click Export

Now find the .wav file that cakewalk created, and use any CD burning software to do it.

Originally posted by RickAme:

I recently read a similar question"midi to audio dilema": one suggestion was to use a software N-tape or something like that. It cost $35. My question may be similar:

My setup: fast PC with a burner, korg keyboards connected to PC with Midiman portman, cakewalk home studio 9, and a tascam portastudio.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Originally posted by RickAme:

I mentioned N-Track in another thread- my point was that's a cool program for very little money. But it's certainly not the only one! If you already have Cakewalk, stick with that.

Anyway, like Rod says http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

You will find that it's the basically the same idea whichever software you are using.

CB

Thanks for the input: I think my problem is that i don't have an audio interface. My keyboards are connected to cakewalk through portman but the keyboard audio is connected to the portastudio ( tape) I use the portastudio as a mixer, which i think i should send audio from portastudio to the computer...just don't know how

OK, here's the deal.

There's two ways to get the file into the computer so you can burn it. (someone correct me on this if I'm wrong)

1. To record it through some kind of audio interface

2. To record it digitally through another device (like a hard disk recorder), and the transfer the file through a cd, zip, or some type of direct connection.

I think in your case you need an audio interface. Do you have a soundblaster or similar soundcard in your computer? That will do it. If not, you'll have to get one. Since you're using HS, don't bother getting a multiple input and output card, since it only recognizes a single stereo input and a stereo output.

I figure the portastudio has some kind of mix output that you may be able to send to the audio interface. You'd hook that up to something the line in on a soundcard, or an analog input on a audio interface. Alternatively, you can bypass the portastudio all the time and record one synth at a time, connect the audio outs in the synth to the line out/analog input of the soundcard/audio interface.

Hope this helps. Unless I'm missing something obvious there's no way to burn a cd without more hardware than what you have.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Archived