Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electric Piano

mwisniewski

Is there such a thing as an electric piano, similar in concept to an electric guitar, where the instrument is still basically acoustic but you're using pickups to amplify the sound? If there is such a thing, are there portable ones?

* Please note this is in contrast to an electronic or digital piano/synth like the Roland RD-700.

Being new to the world of electronic keyboards and synths and after being inundated with an avalanche of electronics I just wondered if it was possible to take a step backwards.

This message has been edited by mwisniewski on 08-06-2001 at 05:32 PM

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by mwisniewski:

Is there such a thing as an electric piano, similar in concept to an electric guitar, where the instrument is still basically acoustic but you're using pickups to amplify the sound? If there is such a thing, are there portable ones?

Anything that Yamaha called an "electric grand" (CP-70, CP-80, etc.)is exactly such an instrument.

Also, Kawai made a few models of electric grands as recently as the mid `80's, one of which was MIDI'ed.

Also, the older Rhodes' (not the Roland/Rhodes that came out in the late `80's) and the Wurlitzer electric pianos were electric/accoustic instruments, although they were much too quiet to play without amplification.

Once the digitals started sounding good in the mid `80's, everyone bailed out on the accoustic/electric design. I don't think anyone's made such an instrument since.

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Originally posted by Bobro:

http://www.kosmolith.com/trulyScary.jpg

Be afraid...be very afraid.

Either that guy has really good chops, or somebody should tell him, he's playing the damn thing backwards.

Or maybe he's just trying to show off ... "hey I can play this thing backwards, with one hand tied behind my back, err ... I mean in my pocket ..."

Originally posted by SWBuck1074@aol.com:

Once the digitals started sounding good in the mid `80's, everyone bailed out on the accoustic/electric design. I don't think anyone's made such an instrument since.

All right, so you're saying if I want one, I'm going to have to find a used one or build it myself, hmmmm ...

While there are quite a few Rhodes E.P.'s out there for sale on the used market, they vary widely in sound quality. To your other statements which were actually astute insights: Someone has built his own E.p. but I can't find the link to it.. it was some college engineering major's senior project and I think it was showcased in Keyboard Mag. Also, the owners of the original Rhodes factory have started building 'em again (starting with the little 4 octave version), but alas I can't find my link to that either.

But here's something quite a bit more useful:

http://www.emagic.de/english/products/instruments/evp73.html

Emagic has released a virtual-electric-piano, which is a software instrument that models all the characteristics of various models of Electric Pianos. Their EVP88 runs on Logic Audio, while the EVP73 has only 1 or 2 models and can run in any VST sequencer such as Cubase. The software sounds incredible, and can be tweaked to be very quirky and incredibly responsive.

Archived