Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your onstage location?

Jeep

While playing a gig with a 4 or 5 piece band, on a reasonably-sized stage, where, on the stage, do you prefer to set up your keyboard rig? Of course, you want the audience to be able to see your body language and chops, while maintaining that essential musical interplay with your bandmates. Personally, I've found that setting up on either side of the stage, facing in toward the centre, works best . How about you?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like Snagglepuss, I've always preferred stage left too.

In a related story, I like to set up my gear in a "U" shape with the opening facing the crowd. That way I'm not blocked by my boards.

I set up on one side or the other, facing the audience/dance floor. Although this puts my boards between them & me, I relate better & make eye contact. If I'm facing the band, I find I look at the band. I find that facing the audience is a better presentation for me. I use an Ultimate 2 tier X-stand. I've owned several stands & this one is truly the best. I can actually keep the 2nd tier low, inches off the bottom baord, so that it's not blocking my face. This stand also allows me to get my boards exactly where I want them, something the other stands cannot do. They also guarantee the rubber will never come off the feet, although the plastic inserts do pop out.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

It is not a written rule, but it happens I preffer to stay to the left of the stage too... just ONE synth in front of me so the audience can see me singing and playing and when I do lead vocals I can easily leave my workstation and move to the front.

For a view of my band onstage, click here . I am the guy at the keys, of course... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

GusTraX

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

I always preferred stage right, some boards in front of me, and some to my right, so at times, I was playing with my back to the rest of the guys. The reason for this was that when I turned to face the bands, my right hand, which was usually on a higher keyboard than my left, felt more natural.
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I prefer stage left too, at a 45d angle facing center stage. Since I have a 3-high tier of boards, the 45 degree angle allows the crowd to see me, and for me to see the drummer. I prefer stage left because if I am only playing with one hand, I can stand and face the crowd while playing with my right hand.

With a five-piece band, we try to set up ^ o ^ o ^ (keys and drums are 'o') This translates into neither me nor the drummer staring at someones back...

-Gregg

The reason that I like the open end of the "U" facing the audience is because I want them to see what my hands are doing.

I've always wanted to suspend a mirror over my head at a 45 degree angle too.

If I'm playing left-hand bass, I like to be at the drummer's left so I can better hear the hi-hat and snare. Otherwise, side doesn't matter http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif as long as I can hear everyone in my monitor. I always face the audience though, and I like to be at one end or the other so I can see the whole band with a quick glance in one direction if I need to. I use 2 keyboards on a 2 tier Z stand so the audience can still see me from the chest up. I'd rather they not see much more of me than that, since I've got that spare tire in the middle! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

A couple of other aesthetic things I'm kind of anal about;

I like to keep my cords neatly wrapped in a snake between the keyboards and the rack. (I hate that black spaghetti look.)

I don't want mine or anyone's cords running under my feet. Go around me!

I like to tape my pedals to the floor so I don't have to look like I'm stepping on roaches or something just to find the damn damper pedal!

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

For me, it depends on the rig. This is a bit weird, so stick with me here....

If it's two boards (one over top of the other), I prefer stage right, with the boards angled at 45 degrees between the front of the stage and the center. If I have more than two, I usually set up the keyboards at a right angle to each other - y'know, the "L". For some peculiar reason in that configuration, I prefer to be stage left with the keyboard(s) under my left hand perpendicular to the front of the stage, and the keyboards under my right hand flush to the stage front.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Am I allowed to say I like to be directly behind the girlie singers? (Or the trombonist!)

I always face the audience (why would you want to watch the drummer all night?). Also I always "stand up", perhaps I'm just too lazy to cart a bench along, although my left foot is sore by the end of the night from taking the weight (right foot stays on the expression pedal).

Frosty

Canberra, Australia

This message has been edited by Frosty on 06-18-2001 at 03:01 AM

• 1 month later...
I always set up on stage right, facing the audience. The reason for that is that i also play bass, and that way when the guitar player screws up the chords to a song i can whack him in the head with the headstock of my bass.

Archived