Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Book on jazz harmony?

pete psingpy

Hi, I need to learn more about jazz theory and chords. I have some background and know a little of the basics. I'm familiar with jazz chords up to a touch of quartal harmony. I'm looking for something that covers the basics up through the extended chords, 9th's, flat 9th's, 13th's, etc, hip voicings, quartal voicings; how and when they're used, comping, scales and modes used for improv over certain chords. Also, the basic structures of jazz music. A bit on composition would be great too. Is there anything that's comprehensive but won't be like a textbook? I could just search Amazon but a recommendation would help me. Thanks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the best books is JAZZ PIANO by Mark Levine.....but he never uses the word "quartal". What does that mean? The book is exhaustive and gives an insightful look at jazz harmony, from one person's perspective.....you will learn about modes and the keys they are derived from.....progressions, scales, and the evolution of the music in general. Very good book.

He doesn't give up the secret of jazz, if there is one, except that explanations and theory mean absolutely nothing except that they are a way of describing sounds.

I can tell you that you can make the color yellow by mixing 71% magenta, 66% yellow and 5% cyan but if you don't know what yellow looks like it means absolutely NOTHING. Same with music. IMO

Hope this helps.

This message has been edited by mojosaur on 08-04-2001 at 02:39 PM

I think dan hearle has some good books on jazz voicing/theory. Also , there are some excellent play-along CD's from jamey aebersold that focus on jazz progression...from easy to highly complex. both are available through a jamey abersold web site.

I appreciate the suggestions. I read about "quartal" harmony in an issue of Keyboard (Andy Laverne?)at one time. From what I remember vaguely, quartal voicings are chord voicings built in intervals of 4ths, and they can be created and played in each mode of the major scale. For instance, in a C ionian mode (c major scale) the first quartal voicing is C, F, and B played together. The second is D, G, and C together, etc. These can be played in each mode. In a C dorian mode, the first quartal chord is C, F, Bb. Then if you're playing chords only, you could extend the chord using both hands, but often an interval of a third is played on top. My impression was that quartal voicings are sometimes used in comping under an improvising right hand. Well, that's what I recall, but I really want to know more. My ear is not great, but I think I hear some quartal harmonies when listening to Chick Corea for example. I like how some of the quartal chords sound when I tinker them out on my piano.

The Jazz Theory book is non-keyboard players......I don't know how iy differs from the content of the other book, but my impression was they were basically the same.....I'd use the book as just another tool and not a bible, but there are some nice sounds in there to explore. Good luck.

The Jazz Theory book is non-keyboard players......I don't know how iy differs from the content of the other book, but my impression was they were basically the same.....I'd use the book as just another tool and not a bible, but there are some nice sounds in there to explore. Good luck.

I don't know much about Jazz. Strangely enough my reactions to the jazz I've heard seem to be very much in line with the judgements of hardcore jazz listeners I've talked to- I think the artform is as universal as any other classic style. I heard some Lennie Tristano and was very impressed- he apparently taught quite a bit, but did he ever write a text? Did any of his students write about his approach and teachings? I am googling this but haven't found anything yet.

-CB

The Joy of Improv books are available here: http://www.pianospot.com/1700309.htm

The guy who is the primary author, Dave Frank, was indeed a student of Tristano's. A big part of Tristano's method was the requirement that the student learn to scat sing a prescribed list of great jazz solos. So, if you buy it, be prepared to cough up some bucks for CDs.

Originally posted by Postman:

The Joy of Improv books are available here: http://www.pianospot.com/1700309.htm

The guy who is the primary author, Dave Frank, was indeed a student of Tristano's. A big part of Tristano's method was the requirement that the student learn to scat sing a prescribed list of great jazz solos. So, if you buy it, be prepared to cough up some bucks for CDs.

Coolness, thanks you guys.

-CB

With regards to the books by Levine - Jazz Piano AND The Jazz Theory Book. I bought the Jazz Theory Book and was quite happy with it. When I originally compared the two in the stores, the Jazz Theory Book seemed to contain "everything" from the Jazz Piano book in addition to examples less geared to the piano. I decided to splurge the extra $20....

...if you want to know about any of the specific info covered in the Jazz Theory Book just let me know...

cheers.

Pete,

I was in exactly your situation for the longest time - stuck with a 'knowledge' of extended harmony, chords and harmonic concepts, but without a strong grasp of voicings and ways to apply jazz harmony and extended harmonic concepts. But then I found an awesome book at a little music store in NYC called Charles Colin Music. The book is called _The_Contemporary_Jazz_Pianist_ and it is by Bill Dobbins. There are two volumes, and the second one is the one you'll want. You don't have to read the first one to get the second.

This book rocks and I hgihly recommend it as a way to bridge the gap of knowing about chords to actually using them in your music. It gives you tons of applied voicings and takes you through standard jazz forms to develop your sense of harmonic progressions. It was the best 25 bucks I've ever spent on a book for piano harmony. The book should be available at your local sheet music retailer, but if not you can call Charles Colin Publications at 212-581-1480.

Good luck!

-Steve

Archived