Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Karma in the studio

I am considering a Korg Karma (actually, I ordered one because it seemed so amazing at first blush, and cancelled the order when I realized I hadn't really checked the machine out very carefully).

Is anyone here using the Karma as a production and recording tool? Does it integrate with your computer based sequencer? Are the Karma effects reproducible? Does it synch reliably to MIDI time code or beat clock?

In short, is this a usuable tool in a jingle and video post environment, or is it simply an incredible toy? Thanks for your input...

- Jim Bordner

Jim Bordner

Gravity Music

"Tunes so heavy, there

oughta be a law."

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...well, I ain't no professional, but I do own and use a Karma. I think the quick answer is it depends on what you consider a toy. Only you can answer if it's right for you. I would suggest the following links:

http://www.karma-lab.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/korgkarma

I would recommend you actually use the product before committing to it though. I will say I have used it seamlessly synced with Cakewalk on the PC. So, it will lock to midi clock. I haven't experienced any problems there. Anyway, those websites and will probably answer most if not all of your questions.

Good luck.

SlopHappy

Slop: I've played one, and really enjoyed it. And I had been through the resources you mention before ordering the unit. But most of the information in the list is focused on the theory of the Karma engine and it's future potential. I am looking for input from anyone who is using a Karma in a production environment, and their take on how it integrates and what they are using it for.

- Jim Bordner

Jim Bordner

Gravity Music

"Tunes so heavy, there

oughta be a law."

I have spent a good amount of time on the Karma, and while I'll admit that the Karma generator is extremely cool and fun to play with, it just isn't very useful in terms of serious music production. I suggest you play the Karma against a Triton and decide which contains the features you'll most likely use. The Karma is essentially a Triton stripped of it's features, with the Karma generator added on. Even the keybed is a cheaper replacement. It's got a "plasticy" feel to it.

Flame away karma owners...

Guest Room,

I bought a Karma, and I am totally satisfied with it. The sound quality is incredible. At first, I was ambiguous about getting one. Now I wish all my modules had it's features.

Imagine http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Jaydubz and Imagine -

I know this is kind of difficult to get across in words alone, but what kinds of projects are you using Karma on? Is it possible to consistently reproduce the efffects of a given GE with the Karma under sequencer control? Imagine... what features are you wishing all your modules had?

I think the Karma is just about the coolest synth created in my musical career... but I need to get a sense of how practical it's going to be before I drop the bucks. And a lot of the user literature on the subject of Karma has been of the "screw practicality, randomness is groovy and beautiful" school.... and I agree, when I'm making art. But when I'm scoring to picture, I don't need randomness, and I just want to be assured that the Karma is capable of something more concrete before I buy one.

- Jim Bordner

Jim Bordner

Gravity Music

"Tunes so heavy, there

oughta be a law."

Ive been writing my lastest batch of songs using the KARMA, and I recently did a slight remix of one of my more popular songs (Will put up a link to my music project soon after I finish recording). Pretty much, up to now, I have not used the GE's in any of my songs as I come up with most

of the parts and have no need to use them (I write up my own basslines, chords, drums, lead lines, etc.). Funny, how I got the KARMA because of the KARMA feature, but that is only one of the reasons.

Every now and then I fiddle with them and see what sounds and arrangements I can get. The best thing to do, I think, is try different GEs on patches you want to use to see what you can get. Sometimes you can get some really cool patterns using different ones instead of keeping with the preset. And, you can change the groove using the realtime controls.

I have probably pissed off all of you by this point with the whole KARMA thing but what the hell, maybe there is someone left to piss off. It does feel cheap to play. It looks cheap. It is hideously ugly. I feel the KARMA GE technology is over hyped and will probably fade away or be replaced by something better. I am of the opinion that most advertising is intrinsically evil and aimed at the retarded impulse buyer. Don't let the big hype make you spend your money, spend a few hours or days playing with one and make your decision logically. It probably will be a reasonable tool for some people, just not me I guess.
Heeeeeere kitty kitty kitty

Archived