Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I could use some advice

stevet

Is there a keyboard out there that is high quality and affordable? I would like to use it at home and in a recording studio at some point. I guess I'll be writing dance/electronic stuff so a sampler would be useful. I'd also like to create loops and bass tracks. If possible I'd like to be able to create masters on CD and/or MD, and I'd like to be able to store my stuff on disk or be able to transfer it. Alternatively, I'd consider a PC-based program if was up to reasonable quality.

Hope someone can help, thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by stevet:

Is there a keyboard out there that is high quality and affordable? I would like to use it at home and in a recording studio at some point. I guess I'll be writing dance/electronic stuff so a sampler would be useful. I'd also like to create loops and bass tracks. If possible I'd like to be able to create masters on CD and/or MD, and I'd like to be able to store my stuff on disk or be able to transfer it. Alternatively, I'd consider a PC-based program if was up to reasonable quality.

Hope someone can help, thanks.

What Chris100 said...The Roland XP-80 is also an option to consider...

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Originally posted by stevet:

Is there a keyboard out there that is high quality and affordable?

Alternatively, I'd consider a PC-based program if was up to reasonable quality.

Can you define "affordable"? For some, a loaded Kurzweil K2600XS is affordable because it's as complete a music production tool as you can find...and it's around $4000. For some relativity low cost (under $1000) tools for dance/electronic music, check the new Keyboard's cover story on groove boxes and groove based music. And, of course, the groove music forum on this site (though far less frequented than this forum).

If you have a PC suitable for music apps (and $$ for MIDI and audio interfaces), you'll probably prefer the power of computer-based sequencing and recording over any keyboard's internal capabilities.

Define your spending limits.....the more you spend (wisely) the better the equipment you will be able to get......as far as workstations the general opinion around here is that the upper end Kurzweil's are solid---I'm not playing the game, just keeping score....

M zeger - many thanks for your assistance. Are there any PC setups that are particularly suited to recording music? I use a PC daily, but don't use music apps yet. Any advice there would also be useful.

Archived