Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electronic valve instruments / wind controlers

midispaceho

I am interested in learning to play a wind controller (what I have seen called "EVI" - electronic valve instrument in the past). Who makes them? I know Yamaha does (or did), but I have not been able to find much information on them. Are there other manufacturers? What synth modules will work with them etc. Any out there used and inexpensive?
Heeeeeere kitty kitty kitty

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The EVI (Electronic Valve Instrument) is an Akai product, made for the brass players; the embochure is a rough imitation of a trumpet, and I believe it also has the equivalent of pistons. There's also the EWI (Electronic Wind Instrument) with the embochure and fingering of a sax or clarinet. They both drive a dedicated analog synthesizer, which also has a MIDI out for driving other modules, etc.I have no idea whether these instruments are still in production.

Yamaha made the WX7, WX11, and more recently the WX5, all based on the Bohem fingering system (sax/clarinet). They can be used with the excellent VL70 tone module thru a dedicated input, or drive other synths via MIDI (I think an optional small box is required for that).

I also seem to remember that Yamaha made a little dedicated synth for the WX11 many years ago, but I can't remember the name.

marino

Archived