Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP80

IanD

Does anybody know of any good CP80 sounds on any synths or moduals. I realy love the sound Tony Banks got out of his.

And has anybody seen the Genesis Songbook DVD, Tony plays a live version of Afterglow with Phil

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if it's a big difference, but I think Tony Banks used a CP-70, I'm not sure if there's a big difference in sound. I think the only difference is the number of keys on the keyboard. I haven't heard too many convincing CP-70/80 sounds on other keyboards (and I've looked, being a big Genesis fan). I remember seeing a Yamaha digital grand, can't remember the model, which had a pretty convincing CP-70/80 sound, it even was chorused like Tony used to do, but the price of the piano (clearly made for home use) was almost the same as just buying a real CP-70/80, so I don't know if it would be worth it.

I haven't seen the Genesis Songbook yet, I'm waiting for the DVD to be released; I'm not expecting too much from it, but the performances (like the new "Afterglow") should be interesting. I also hear that they are preparing a European release for the "We Can't Dance" tour on DVD backed with a second disk of all of their music videos, so that might be a little more enticing.

I hope that helps, and best of luck.

The Emu Vintage Keys Module had an absolute KILLER Yamaha Electric Grand program. It was sampled on the EIII, and had exactly the right sound.

You can even chorus it and add tremolo to make it closer. We used to do "Turn It On Again," and it was TITS!

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

The big difference between the CP-70 and -80, I believe, was number of keys. The 80 had 88 keys, the 70 had either 73 or 76.

I loved the sound of these instruments too. My Yammy S-80 does a decent one, which it should, because it's the same company. If you're interested, I know someone near me (SoCal) looking to sell the real thing.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by b3wiz:

Wasn't the CP 80 that sort of Rhodes style piano that came out around the same time as the CP70? The lid turned into the stand for it.

I believe you're thinking of the CP30. The CP70/CP80 had real piano strings (though a max of two/note instead of three), a cast iron harp, and pickups in leu of a sound board. The CP70 had 76 keys, while the CP80 had 88.

Busch

This message has been edited by burningbusch@home.com on 08-04-2001 at 02:41 PM

Originally posted by burningbusch@home.com:

I believe you're thinking of the CP30. The CP70/CP80 had real piano strings (though a max of two/note instead of three), a cast iron harp, and pickups in leu of a sound board. The CP70 had 76 keys, while the CP80 had 88.

Busch

Yupper. Right you are. I had a 70 for a while. I completely either forgot about the 80 or it came out when a was on a hiatus from the biz. john

This message has been edited by burningbusch@home.com on 08-04-2001 at 02:41 PM

Wow! That was an unexpected revelation. Now I know. Just type in the URL and the system automatically makes it clickable. I are so bush!

Anyways, just add the high F to C on the top end and you've got a CP-80.

Wow! That was an unexpected revelation. Now I know. Just type in the URL and the system automatically makes it clickable. I are so bush!

Anyways, just add the high F to C on the top end and you've got a CP-80.

To post an image from another site, all you need do is place a left bracket [ the letters img, and a right bracket ]. Then type the url of the image, then the left bracket [ the letters /img and then a right bracket ].

It would look like this:

[ img]http://www.anycelebrity.com/models/christiebrinkley/images/005.jpg[ /img]

but remove the spaces I put in between each first bracket and the code. (I put those spaces in so you could see what the code looks like.)

Without the spaces, THIS is what you see:

http://www.anycelebrity.com/models/christiebrinkley/images/005.jpg

This message has been edited by joegerardi on 08-05-2001 at 01:28 AM

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Archived