Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Keyboard Corner

Synths, pianos, software, analog, digital, modeling, virtual instruments, programming tips - this is the place on the web for discussions, debates, opinions and assistance...and the occasional sports thread.

11594965545_282c74d7ea_o.jpg.e3b7814ba5300332fb257afa0b249ec5.jpg   

Subforums

1. Repairs and Mods

Repairs, modifications, tips, tricks and other suggestions for ailing keyboards and synthesizers.

66,979 topics in this forum

1. Emagic's Micrologic AV

• 0 replies
  2. Losing gear at shows

• 2 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  3. Tips for buying Keyboard

• 6 replies
  4. Creamware

• 6 replies
  5. How Are Your Chops?

• 13 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 10 replies
    • 5.4k views
    • 3 replies
  6. Midi Cable Help please

• 1 reply
  7. SE-1 and Minimoog

• 18 replies
    • 1.6k views
  8. MIDI Help!

• 6 replies
    • 1 reply
  9. logic platinum

• 4 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 4 replies
  10. I must have a Sherman Filterbank!

• 1 reply
    • 1 reply
  11. Alesis QS7.1

• 2 replies
    • 1 reply
  12. Roland VK-7 drawbars

• 5 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 21 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 1 reply
  13. Synth leads

• 3 replies
  14. Cubase

• 3 replies
  15. VST TECHNOLOGY

• 1 reply
  16. Decisions, decisions!

• 0 replies
  17. Triton ProX comparisons

• 6 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 2.9k views
    • 2 replies
  18. studio equipment

• 4 replies
    • 4 replies
  19. Monitoring Headphones

• 2 replies
  • Trending posts on MPN

• The same concept exists in the business world, where it's called the "golden rule" -- the guy with the gold gets to make the rules.
    • My libraries wouldn't fit on a 1TB (or it'd be close), so I'd either need a much bigger internal drive or use externals. Minimum I'd get on any mac moving forward is 512GB and preferably 1TB personally. One hassle with all the external power cable/hubs/dongles/adapters I have on my older MBp is that they tend to slip out of the usb-c ports if you breath heavily on it.   I haven't yet hooked up the new-to-me M1 MBP to see if they made these a bit more snug.  It's one thing I dislike about usb-c.  I REALLY like that they went back to mag-safe for power.
    • macOS + MainStage and Logic + Apple's Sample Library and your third party plugins (and their content). How much space is left on your 256gb drive?    
    • Yup. As also discussed elsewhere, for most uses (including what might seem to be demanding musical ones), you don't even need thunderbolt on the external, a fast USB 3 works fine, and you can get something really ridiculously light and tiny these days, for very reasonable cost.  TB probably provides more psychological comfort than anythuing else, in knowing even that you're technically getting to be on par with the internal, but for real world use, I don't imagine there are many scenarios where you'd notice the difference. Maybe if you wanted to use it as an alternate boot drive?
    • The AI mastering I've heard makes music that comes out better than what went in, at least most of the time. But it's a crap shoot whether it will be mastered with the artist's vision in mind, and it certainly won't kick a file back and ask for vocal +1 dB. I think people may have forgotten that a good mastering engineer is (was?) the final step in the creative process, not just the technical process. Several times I've added overdubs to a master that the artist never requested, but was really glad to have. So I feel with AI mastering, you need to manage your expectations.   If you have something like a live recording you want to put on your website, AI mastering will do it quickly, inexpensively, and often, well. But if your career depends on a mission-critical project, I think you still need a human mastering engineer.
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• I remember seeing the ads in Keyboard and a picture of the Odyssey on the Musicians Friend catalog. I really wanted one but ended up with the MiniMoog because it was available. In the late 70's you didn't have a lot of choices in a small rural town. Was very interested when this came out but reviews of the horrible touch pads scared me away. Wish it had more jacks for interfacing with the Behringer 2600. Still, maybe someday. Wonder how it compares to the Korg version?
    • Carlo, you make that Oddy sound fabulous! I have a black-face Oddy and Axxe in my garage, have had both since the '80's, and both need new sliders, probably new caps, and a ton of cleaning. But hearing you play it made me feel nostalgic for that sound! Given the price of the Behringer, it'll probably be cheaper to just buy a new one than to fix mine.
    • OT - just a comment on the original white face Oddy - I modified mine so I had an octave up/down switch. Also changed the pitch knob to one which had a notch sticking out so that I could curl my little finger round it and be confident that I could return it to the neutral position. And I managed to rewire the modulation slider on the first oscillator so that the second oscillator modulated too. It was all very ambitious of me, with not much real understanding of what I was doing, but it worked nicely. i hung onto it for years, only selling it off about 10 years ago. Nowadays I occasionally use the app on the iPad. It’s close enough for me.
  • Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries