Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can a SCSI equipped keyboard interface with a DAW? Really important question...

Wiggum

Hey all,

I posted earlier about a Kurzweil K2500X, and a thought crossed my mind...

I was lamenting the need for an external hard drive, CD-ROM drive, etc. My DAW has an Adaptec 29160 SCSI card, and I'm wondering if I could use my PC's resources with the Kurzweil.

I have a Plextor SCSI CD-ROM drive, a Yamaha SCSI CD-RW drive, a Seagate SCSI audio drive, and a Maxtor EIDE boot drive. Would it be possible to store samples and programs on the EIDE drive, and send them over to the Kurzweil as needed? The Adaptec card has an external SCSI port, but I don't know of any apps or configurations that would allow me to do this.

Conversely, could I store programs on the SCSI audio drive? I would prefer to use the boot drive (tons of extra capacity), but if need be, this is a reasonable compromise. Hell, I'd even be satisfied with using the SCSI CD-ROM. That would be one less piece of gear to buy, and I could spend the extra cash on sample CD's.

Why is this so important? The inventory of K2500's won't last long, and if I could use my computer's resources, it may be a viable investment.

All the best,

Wiggum

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never really tried any of these things myself, especially not with a PC (I'm a Mac guy). I use a dedicated internal HD and separate CD-ROM drive with my Kurz stuff. However, here's something that may help - I think that you might want to look at a piece of software called Translator made by a company that I just mentioned in another thread called Chicken Systems - its job in life is to move samples back and forth from PCs to hardware samplers. That sounds like it might solve some of your problems.

Their URL is:

http://www.chickensys.com

Perhaps Mr. Martin or one of the other Kurz afficionados on the forum can shed some more light.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Wiggum,

If you connect a K2500 to your Adaptec SCSI card, the K2500 will be able to access the SCSI drives (not the IDE). So any programs that are stored on the SCSI drives can be accessed by the Kurzweil.

There are also applications such as Sound Forge which will allow you to transfer individual samples via SCSI from the computer to the Kurzweil for editing purposes.

Word of caution - SCSI was not really designed to have two "master" devices controlling the same set of drives. Make certain not to access any of the SCSI devices on the computer at the same time the Kurzweil is accessing them. Here is a little extra information on the subject:

http://www.hyperindex.com/k2/k_win95.htm

You may wish to search the forums at www.sonikmatter.com as well.

------------------

Mike Martin

Kurzrep@aol.com

Kurzweil Music Systems

www.kurzweilconnection.com

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I have an older copy of Keyboard sitting upside down in my room and it has the MOTU DP 2.1 ad which was boasting drag and drop sample capability with most samplers, both by scsi and midi. Since then I've seen no advertised comparable implementation in the various DAW/Midi programs such as Logic and Cubase. I don't know if either program has anything like this, but if they do that's the best way of transporting the files, since then the program really knows what's going on, it's not just doing a scsi transfer. The motu implementation uses OMS so that it knows it's sending the patch as such to the E4 or whatever sampler. I hope that Logic or Cubase has something similar to this, but I can't say for sure.

Archived