Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Triton ProX comparisons

TJLA

I'm planning on buying a Triton ProX soon and wanted to get your opinions on this keyboard. I want to know what you like about it and or prefer in other keyboards. I'm looking for a music workstation and this seems like a good choice. I had a Roland JV1000 last and found it cumbersome to use. The ProX appears to be easier at first site.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Triton is a very good workstation, I think its main competition comes from the Kurzweil K2600 and K2500. I would prefer the Kurz if you ask me; but there's a recent thread that compares those two rather extensively, so you could try to find it, it wasn't a long time ago.

You could also look into the Yamaha S80 and Roland XV-88. But I would strongly advise against the JV1000. It's old technology, and it IS very cumbersome to use. For a more recent Roland 76-key workstation, check the XP-80. It's MUCH better.

Hope this helps

marino

Originally posted by TJLA:

I'm planning on buying a Triton ProX soon and wanted to get your opinions on this keyboard. I want to know what you like about it and or prefer in other keyboards. I'm looking for a music workstation and this seems like a good choice. I had a Roland JV1000 last and found it cumbersome to use. The ProX appears to be easier at first site.

The Triton is probably still the best selling synth in the US right now. You will not go wrong with it.

You can find the 88 key version of the K2500 on blowout for a bit less than you will spend on the Triton. They are both excellent instruments, each with their advantages - as Marino pointed out, there is a whole thread on the subject elsewhere in the forum. You should definitely try the Kurz, though - they're pretty great machines.

Another option would be a 61 key Triton and an additional 88 key instrument (like a Yamaha P80, or an Alesis QS8.1). Depending on what you choose, you could pay about the same, maybe a touch more and end up with a bunch more sound/polyphony/outputs and a double manual to boot.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I have a 61 note Triton and am very pleased with it. I already have an 88 key controller and I like the combination. I need the piano action for piano work, but, in my opinion many other instrument are more acuratley emulated on a good synth action board. It just seems more expressive and realistic with a lighter action as does the pianos with the heavier action.

A friend of mine bought the Pro X and is quite happy with it, but after playing his my personal opinion is that even if I didn't already have an 88 weighted action controller,I would still buy a synth action Triton and then link it up with an 88 key Fatar or a good used PC88 Kurz or something of that nature.

It's a big investment; sit down and make a list of what you expect out of a board and go out and compare those specs with what's out there. And most impotantly, find a store or another musician who can show you around the engines of your top choices and then spend some time playing them yourself. What really matters is what kind of chemistry you have with your instrument. If it doesn't connect with your heart and your skills it's not for you no matter what anyone else may say about it. Good Luck http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

jwk

Thank you Marino, Dave, and b3 for your replies. They all present different view and options ALL worth exploring. It isn't hard to get lost in the technology as an amateur. The giant music centers that typically offer the best deals on these items like the Guitar Center in LA or Torrance don't seem to provide that much info about the products or good alternatives. This forum is an invaluable resource to be able to communicate with people at ALL levels of experience. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply even with a preexisting thread on the topic.

Sincerely,

TJLA (timjla@hotmail.com)

Play the Yamaha S80 also. It is a very musical beast, the factory presets are very good. At half the price of a Triton it's worth condidering. It's a good sign when you play something for the first time and you just connect and start writing and liking an instrument immediately. The S80 had that effect on me.

The Triton and other Korg instruments have well designed user interfaces. They make it easy to get in there and program and layer sounds. Plus, the controllers on the left side of the keyboard allow you to really put emotion in your playing. Now that I think of it....I want one too.

This message has been edited by SteveRB on 01-30-2001 at 07:39 AM

Regarding the idea of buying a weighted controller and a synth-action triton, here are some real world numbers: the Fatar SL880 and SL990 go for 500 and 600 bucks each. THe GC here in boston carries both models.. and I have to say I really like their action. It would definitely be a good idea to save 600 bucks by not buying the ProX. Some people like those keys, but I find them too shallow.

Archived