Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

studio equipment

alien

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A basic recording studio needs something to record (at least one instrument and/or microphone), something to record with (tape deck, sequencer, computer, HD system), and stuff that lets you listen to what you've recorded (monitoring system). Some outboard gear can also be useful (compression, reverb, etc.) but is not strictly necessary in all scenarios. It is conceivable that a workstation keyboard and a pair of powered monitors would suffice for some, where a mic and a cassette four track with a pair of headphones might be better for others.

Can you tell us a bit more about what you want to use the studio for?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by alien:

i want 2 use it basically for providing music for animations.....basically soundtracks.

Do you actually need to score to existing video, or are you just trying to get a synth demo studio together to try and learn how to do some composing and see if you can record some music so that you can try and get some work?

If your answer is that you actually need to lay music to video, you would probably be better suited to post your questions to one of the audio forums, such as Mr. Frangioni's Studio Tech site.

If you're just looking to put together a synth demo studio, a simple set-up might consist of:

At least one synthesizer, although most people that I know prefer to have one or two more than that...perhaps one keyboard and a few modules. A sampler or sample player is always a nice tool for scoring as well.

Some way to record your audio and/or MIDI data...I'm a big fan of using the computer for this task. This decision really depends on how you prefer to work - some people hate recording MIDI, and do everything to tape/hard disk. Some folks work exclusively in MIDI, and never record any audio until they mix down. If you choose the computer , you will also need a MIDI and/or audio interface for the computer.

A mixer of some kind - plenty of manufacturers make decent inexpensive mixers these days.

A set of powered monitors.

A nice, quiet place to work.

That would get you started.

I can't tell you what kind of costs would be incurred, because I don't know what kind of gear you'd like, or how much it costs in India. It might be a good idea to go and talk to someone at a local music store. See if you can find a good salesperson who will walk you through some potential set-ups and let you audition some gear - your ears will be the best judge of what synths you should get.

Hope that helps,

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Archived