Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis QS7.1

ady

I'm planning to learn and start recording midi tracks and have been eyeing and drooling over the Alesis QS7.1.

I was about to purchase it when someone told me that the polyphonic? or multi-timbre? (not too sure about the terms) sounds tend to thin out when you record them in midi. Anyone else experience this?

What are the pros/cons of the QS7.1?

Let me know at adys.geo@yahoo.com

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a QS8 and I've never had any problem with it like that. It does occasionally get an out of phase thing going on when I have midi going both ways...I guess it's a midi feedback type of thing. When that happens, I just turn it off and back on again and it goes away. Of course, I'm illiterate when it comes to midi technology so I'm probably doing something wrong. But, I've used that QS8 on dozens of CD's and I usually run it into my Triton sequencer first and it has done fine.

jwk

Originally posted by b3wiz@hotmail.com:

I have a QS8 and I've never had any problem with it like that. It does occasionally get an out of phase thing going on when I have midi going both ways...I guess it's a midi feedback type of thing. When that happens, I just turn it off and back on again and it goes away. Of course, I'm illiterate when it comes to midi technology so I'm probably doing something wrong. But, I've used that QS8 on dozens of CD's and I usually run it into my Triton sequencer first and it has done fine.

jwk

What ady is referring to is the fact that when you combine different patches in a mix you 'loose' the individual effects for each patch, and have to create a 'global effect' or have all the patches use the effect from one of the them. And loosing the effect does have a tendency to 'thin' out the sound. I usually end up balancing the sounds between different synths so I usually don't use more than 2-3 sounds in multi-timbral mode anyways.

This is a limitation of not only the alesis synths but most synths, as far as I know. It puzzles me how annoyed people get about this point (from postings I read in the qs forum and specially in the cs6x forum, for instance) in specific synths when it's a limitation that's quite common.

b3- in regards to your midi feedback, your having midi echo problems. If you're in program mode, either disable the echo on your sequencer or set the qs to only tranmit midi, effectively decoupling the controller part from the synth engine. Most synths have a 'local control' switch for this matter. Alesis doesn't call it this but you get the same effect. Since the midi data going thru the loop (to the sequencer and back to the qs), you can get the 'phasing'effect with slight variations in the looping time.

Rod

Archived