Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

advice on getting started

mjs-bsnst

I'm just getting started on the MIDI thing. Here are my needs: I'd like to be able to listen to and play along with music files I've created in Finale (2001) with a good orchestral sound.

What do I need?

What questions should I ask of a sales rep.?

Please be overly clear with any answers since I'm just a beginner.

Thanks loads!

Mike.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O.K. I was going to try and help on this but I'm not sure what you want to do.

Do you just want to play along with sequences playing on computer??

Do you actually want to hook a keyboard up to computer and actually play with and record your playing to a sequence??

Do you want to be able to load sequence into a keyboard and play along that way??

A little more info will go a long way for us to help you.

As far as general midi knowledge I would suggest checking out www.synthzone.com . This is a great site with LOADS of info and links to all things involved with electronic music.

Be sure to look at the Synth related resources section on the lower right of the home page. This is where you will find links to sites that are dedicated to explaining midi to new users.

This message has been edited by Stratman on 01-27-2001 at 04:49 PM

mjs-bsnst:

If all you need is to listen to your Finale scores, I would recommend E-mu Virtuoso 2000, a rackmount module that's rather easy to use. It specializes in orchestral sounds.

But probably you will also need a MIDI sequencer to tweak your sequences in order to prepare them to be played. (I don't know how well Finale translates dynamic indications into MIDI)

Look into Cubase Lite, Cakewalk or one of the numerous sequencers on the market. And of course a MIDI interface for your computer if you don't have one already.

You will also need a small keyboard for fast input of notes and controllers; there are many, made by Roland, Yamaha, Fatar and many others.

When it comes to "playing along" with your sequences, it just depends. If you'd like to play a live orchestral part, you're set; you can use a separate MIDI channel from the Virtuoso, and drive it from your keyboard.

If you're a pianist, however, a weighted keyboard or a digital piano would be much better to play piano parts.

And if you need other kind of sound (drums, electric guitar etc.), you'll need a module or softsynth with those sounds. There are really too many to mention, but you could get a Roland JV1010; it's small and relatively inexpensive but very powerful.

Hope this helps

marino

Archived