Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI Help!

DOS

I feel stupid asking this because everybody here is a pro, except for me, but I guess this is the only way... I just started composing music and I have my keyboard connected to the back of my computer via the gameport. My computer reads what I input but only accesses the sounds of the software (I use Fruity Loops), but how can I use the actual sounds of the keyboard using MIDI? And please don't suggest "Line In" as the sound quality sucks. Do I need a MIDI interface or what? Help!

Thanks,

Mike

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
um... midi only controls the device... no actual sound travels through the midi port. there is no other use than to use a 'line in'... maybe you can invest in a low-priced audio card for your computer... get something that's 24 bits... maybe an Echo Darla or something... that way the midi cables are still connected, but the audio enters the computer via the sound card. For lower-end stuff like this, i recommend you check out Audio Forums... http://www.audioforums.com. those forums are better suited for what you're trying to do.

-----------------------

Forum for the Media Arts

Originally posted by DOS:

I feel stupid asking this because everybody here is a pro, except for me, but I guess this is the only way... I just started composing music and I have my keyboard connected to the back of my computer via the gameport. My computer reads what I input but only accesses the sounds of the software (I use Fruity Loops), but how can I use the actual sounds of the keyboard using MIDI? And please don't suggest "Line In" as the sound quality sucks. Do I need a MIDI interface or what? Help!

Don't feel stupid for asking - that's why we're here...to try and help.

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you have managed to input MIDI data into your computer, but it is only triggering sounds in the computer, and you want it to trigger the sounds in your keyboard instead. Is that correct?

If so - first of all, what kind of a keyboard is it? Secondly, when you say that you have it connected to the game port, I assume that means that you have some kind of MIDI interface already (either external or built in to the keyboard) and that's what's connected to the game port, yes?

Pardon me if that last assumption is wrong - I'm a Mac guy. Being so, I'm not sure if I can be of much help to you, but perhaps others can if you can provide some more info.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Thanks,

Mike

Don't feel stupid, every person here at one time or another had no idea how to do this either. And not everyone here is a pro, I'm proof of that http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

As to your question KnightShow has it right, Midi only sends the information for a sound module to make the sounds. It's like a program for a computer, it's only a set of instructions that tells the computer what to do, Midi is only a set of instructions that tells a sound module what to do. Right now your sequencer is sending these instructions to your on board sound module. Probably provided by your current sound card which, if it's like mine, sounds like CRAP.

If you want to record the actual audio from your synth you HAVE to send it to the line in on your sound card. Only way you can improve the audio is to get a better card, you might try moving your sound card around inside of your computer chassis.

The a/d converters on a sound card, especially a cheaper one not made for recording audio, are VERY picky and will pick up interference from any other devices close to them inside computer. This could include cd rom drives, hard drives, fans etc... This is why you should get a sound card with a breakout box to get converters away from all the noisy components inside your computer.

One thing to note, they have software synths out now that sound VERY good and would eliminate the need to record audio from an external source. If you don't want to get a different sound card maybe this would be the way to go.

I would also suggest checking out www.audioforums.com , I've been going there quite a bit myself lately.

Don't get disheartened, you've just embarked on a very long road that has no end. Once you get this you realize that you need that, and it would sound a lot better if you could just get the other thing etc........ Just do the best ya can with what ya got and upgrade when ya can.

Good Luck

This message has been edited by Stratman on 01-22-2001 at 11:24 PM

Thanks to all you guys for your help! Oh and one last question: I'm thinking about building a computer (mostly for games) and I'm for sure going to get an SB Live Platinum 5.1. Do you think this card is sufficient for recording or do you recommend a separate sound card built for the purpose of recording? If so, give me some recommendations.

Thanks,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I've got an SB Live 5.1 Plat here now...it'll be installed by next week (that's when my keyboard will get here...)

I'll let you know how it goes if you want)

The midi ports are different though, and I'm about to make a post asking about that...

Thanks to all you guys for your help! Oh and one last question: I'm thinking about building a computer (mostly for games) and I'm for sure going to get an SB Live Platinum 5.1. Do you think this card is sufficient for recording or do you recommend a separate sound card built for the purpose of recording? If so, give me some recommendations.

Thanks,

Mike

A Live Platinum card should more than suffice for what you want to do. I know several people that post to some of the boards use these and they've been very happy with the results.

Archived