Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland VK-7 drawbars

noou

Does anybody have noticed that, when you pull the drawbars, the harmonics sound "like a stair"? the sound it's broken as you pull!

try it with the middle range drawbars: it's more evident

it seems it's not a continuous controller... but what a pity! it would be nice to use the drawbars like a controller but each parameter you control has the same problem

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------

look at myspace.com/noou

and www.soundclick.com/noou

for my music (free downloads too)!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's how it works on the Hammond organs it was designed to emulate.

Aside from that, the one thing I do miss on the emulators I have tried is that the further you push down a key on a Hammond the more the harmonics come into play....that is impossible to emulate with MIDI, I guess. It was possible to get cool effects such as tapping the keys lightly and getting only the key-click to sound.....

-Marshall

Have any of you VK owners experienced the cutting out problem. Mine shuts off and back on intermittantly. The first one I bought did this and I tool it back. Then after about a year this one began doing it. A studio that I record at occasionally had one that did the same thing and they got rid of it. Any clues?

Also, I personally think the VK sounds just as harsh as an unleslied Hammond. I finally when out and found a nice 122, jacked up the midrange on the internal eq, rewrote all the settings so they bypass the onboard lesie simulator and she really screams now. Just wish I new what the shut off prob. was.

I just got to take the new Korg CX3 for a spin and it is one killer machine. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Have to say I agree with you on the harshness of the VK-7. I've been a big fan of it, and one still gets me through many a gig, but my Leslie 142 (compact 122) really mellows it out. As for the cutting off and then back on problem, I have experienced this too. Mine was directly sensitive to shock... there was nothing more annoying than having it power-cycle in the middle of an enthusiastic bout of key-slapping. My tech tightened everything down around the power supply, which made the problem go away for awhile, but now it's back just a little. Maybe it's time to get a CX-3. Now if I could just convince my landlord of the importance of that...

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by SteveFortner:

Have to say I agree with you on the harshness of the VK-7. I've been a big fan of it, and one still gets me through many a gig, but my Leslie 142 (compact 122) really mellows it out. As for the cutting off and then back on problem, I have experienced this too. Mine was directly sensitive to shock... there was nothing more annoying than having it power-cycle in the middle of an enthusiastic bout of key-slapping. My tech tightened everything down around the power supply, which made the problem go away for awhile, but now it's back just a little. Maybe it's time to get a CX-3. Now if I could just convince my landlord of the importance of that...

Steve, Check out the forum on VK shut off problem that I posted. Ken Soper submitted what is probably the answer to the problem. I took mine to the shop this week. The tech said that is more than likely the problem.

Did you read the article in new Keyboard about the CX3? I heard Tom Coster using one recently and it sounded better than any non-leslied board I've heard. He said he reallt loves it. The only thing that turns me off is that, according to keyboard, the reverb doesn't work when the internal leslie simulator is disabled. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif How could they? Hope they fix that. About how to pay for it.... perhaps you could file a grievance against your landlord for failing to be understanding... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gifJW

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Re; the harshness in the sound of the VK-7...have you gone in and checked/changed the internal EQ settings?? They really do help a lot.

Good Luck.

Tom Bitondo

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

Archived