Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Keyboard Corner

Synths, pianos, software, analog, digital, modeling, virtual instruments, programming tips - this is the place on the web for discussions, debates, opinions and assistance...and the occasional sports thread.

11594965545_282c74d7ea_o.jpg.e3b7814ba5300332fb257afa0b249ec5.jpg   

Subforums

1. Repairs and Mods

Repairs, modifications, tips, tricks and other suggestions for ailing keyboards and synthesizers.

66,979 topics in this forum

• 10 replies
    • 1 reply
  1. Yamaha Motif 1 2

• 32 replies
    • 1.8k views
    • 26 replies
    • 2.1k views
    • 6 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 0 replies
  2. Roland D-50 manual!

• 2 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 1.3k views
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  3. transkriber

• 0 replies
    • 1 reply
  4. Who's from SoCal? 1 2

• 39 replies
    • 2k views
  5. Bruce Hornsby

• 13 replies
  6. Dave, are you too in mp3 jail?

• 2 replies
    • 41 replies
    • 1.9k views
  7. Musician's food

• 20 replies
    • 1.9k views
    • 18 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 1 reply
  8. Ideal bass synth...

• 12 replies
    • 1 reply
  9. self-indulgence

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  10. How do you work?

• 5 replies
    • 15 replies
  11. Having QSR troubles

• 3 replies
  12. Keith Emerson.

• 1 reply
    • 5 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 1 reply
  13. VIA and audiowerk 2

• 1 reply
    • 1 reply
  14. Keyboard books?

• 2 replies
  • Trending posts on MPN

• The Michael Omartian interview recounts this phenomenon.    When they would cycle through bands on a single song, Omar was the common musician on piano that they would keep.   He joked to Walter and Donald,  "Maybe I'm the problem".    Walter and Donald didn't get the joke and deadpanned,  "Nah".        In fact, what they were doing was cycling through bands in search of their ideal drum track, discarding all of the other players tracks during the process.    You would think they would just cycle the drummer, but they had some preconception of how the combinations worked to bring whole new bands.
    • Yeah, I wouldn't really have any reason to ditch my Digi 002 interface.
    • TB and USB interfaces are having a nice long run.  Including backwards compatibility as they improve speed and have settled on that USB-C/TB connector.      FW certainly was preferable to USB at the time.  But 400 to 800 required a connector change and then they were done with it.  FireWire is dead. Long live Thunderbolt.  
    • Just watched a cool YouTube on AI Generated Music and the guy used one of the AI Music generators typed out the type of tune he wanted.  It spit out a short tune, he request a longer tune, it added to the tune.  Then he said he wanted variations to compare to and he ended up with a handful of variations.   Then he took the tune and put it through a AI stem separator.   He then started editing, replacing the drums, adding tracks and building up the tune.   He felt it need some more variation so split one of the variations he liked and then pulled pieces of it into the tune   He than start adding automation to AI tracks that were lacking dynamics.   He ended up with a nice track he planing to keep working on.     So he was showing AI can do a lot, but adding his own creativity to get his ideas out.   That the AI is another tool and up to the user to be creative with it or not. 
    • A real shame.  Best music shops in my region by a long shot.     Buy to try and eat the shipping back costs is crap.  Musical instruments aren’t glasses or a dress shirt.  
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• I remember seeing the ads in Keyboard and a picture of the Odyssey on the Musicians Friend catalog. I really wanted one but ended up with the MiniMoog because it was available. In the late 70's you didn't have a lot of choices in a small rural town. Was very interested when this came out but reviews of the horrible touch pads scared me away. Wish it had more jacks for interfacing with the Behringer 2600. Still, maybe someday. Wonder how it compares to the Korg version?
    • Carlo, you make that Oddy sound fabulous! I have a black-face Oddy and Axxe in my garage, have had both since the '80's, and both need new sliders, probably new caps, and a ton of cleaning. But hearing you play it made me feel nostalgic for that sound! Given the price of the Behringer, it'll probably be cheaper to just buy a new one than to fix mine.
    • OT - just a comment on the original white face Oddy - I modified mine so I had an octave up/down switch. Also changed the pitch knob to one which had a notch sticking out so that I could curl my little finger round it and be confident that I could return it to the neutral position. And I managed to rewire the modulation slider on the first oscillator so that the second oscillator modulated too. It was all very ambitious of me, with not much real understanding of what I was doing, but it worked nicely. i hung onto it for years, only selling it off about 10 years ago. Nowadays I occasionally use the app on the iPad. It’s close enough for me.
  • Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries