Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Keyboard Corner

Synths, pianos, software, analog, digital, modeling, virtual instruments, programming tips - this is the place on the web for discussions, debates, opinions and assistance...and the occasional sports thread.

11594965545_282c74d7ea_o.jpg.e3b7814ba5300332fb257afa0b249ec5.jpg   

Subforums

1. Repairs and Mods

Repairs, modifications, tips, tricks and other suggestions for ailing keyboards and synthesizers.

66,980 topics in this forum

1. Keyboard books?

• 2 replies
    • 4 replies
  2. Who is ELP?

• 1 reply
  3. audiowerk 2 problem

• 1 reply
    • 34 replies
    • 2.4k views
    • 0 replies
    • 16 replies
    • 27 replies
    • 2.2k views
    • 26 replies
    • 6k views
    • 3 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 41 replies
    • 2.9k views
    • 39 replies
    • 1.9k views
  4. Jazz

• 0 replies
  5. new...help....

• 3 replies
  6. Best Headphones?????

• 21 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 5 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 1k views
    • 13 replies
  7. Help Needed!!!

• 5 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 6 replies
  8. Questions

• 4 replies
  9. What means "Emo"

• 6 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  10. Electribe Question

• 1 reply
    • 3 replies
  11. Live Snake

• 6 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 2.3k views
    • 24 replies
    • 7.1k views
    • 9 replies
    • 0 replies
  • Trending posts on MPN

• Boston is a very strange team...every time I think they're dominant, they lay an egg! But I guess it really just speaks to the parity in the league more than anything.  Seems anyone can be beat on any given day!
    • I believe Budenholzer is a better coach than Vogel... HOWEVER...when your 3 best players are all elite scorers who need the ball in their hands--but don't do anything else particularly well...I don't think coaching was the main problem in Phoenix.
    • In 5th of May, one of the greatest Greek musicians/songwriters passed away after 14 years with health problems. Antonis Tourkogiorgis was the singer and bassist of one of the two greatest rock Greek band of all time, "Socrates drunk the conium",(the other one was Aphrodite's child). 5 years later had passed away the guitar player of the band, Giannis Spathas, the greatest Greek guitar player of all time. In 1976, Socrates released their best album, "Phos". In production and keyboards we found Eyaggelos Papathanasiou. All you known him as "Vangelis"... I post here two songs from "Phos" album. If these songs were written by an English or American band it will be all time classics...       In the second one we listen the greatness of Giannis Spathas. He blended the rock music with the polyphonic songs from Epirus, Greece... Rest in peace, Antonis and Giannis...😔
    • A singer and her guitarist I was friends with had a cool band.  She was a great singer but her and the guitarist were good not great songwriters.   So the band eventually broke up and she got into studio work as a singer for jingles and all sorts of stuff.   One jingle session she's on wasn't sounding like the producer wanted and she heard him say I want to sound like Fleetwood Mac which was the new Fleetwood with Stevie Nicks.     The singer said I can do that if you want and she goes out and sings the jingle like Stevie Nicks so good you could tell it wasn't Stevie.   Well she tells the producer I'm good at imitating other singers and she starts getting lots of work singing like Stevie Nicks and occasionally others.    Then the lawsuit came she the jingle house was being sued for imitating Stevie for commercial work.   I don't remember the legal name it was called.    They didn't think Nicks would win but she did and the singer started losing work people being scared they might be sued too.   So might no need a AI computer to sound like someone else, but at least in my friends case she was sued by the real person and it cost her. 
    • Back in the 70's when the record industry was making more money than they knew what to do with it because very common for producers to get huge budgets and they'd cut records with multiple groups of musicians.   Could be they were taking a cue from the Beach Boys who started cutting tracks juggling musicians why a song like Good Vibration took six month to cut and I think back then a million dollars to make the one song. Motown once in Los Angeles started using cutting with multiple groups of players.   Richard Perry who was a big dog producer do it and lots of different guitar player doing the solo.  Perry was nuts that was before computer anything in record and he would average 40 edits per song.  Watch the tape deck when Perry was mixing the tape looked like tiger stripes streaming by.    So Steely Dan continued doing the same they were big and ABC Records was giving BIG budgets to record with.  So if the record company is going to give you the money why not trying making a tune with multiple combo of musicians.      Okay story time.... So that was back when I worked at one studio, but I lived close to The Village Recorder and a couple good friends of mine were engineers  there so I'd hang at the Village at night in their sessions when I could, to learn what I could and run errands for them.   Well that was when Steely Dan was recording at the Village a lot and at night usually Gary Katz and Roger Nichols would be finishing up from the days Dan sessions listening and so on.    Well Steely Dan was finished up mixing their latest album and Bob Dylan started recording his Planet Waves album and my friends were engineering it.   Well Dylan's sessions were very closed, if he was around I couldn't go into the control room to hang, so I kick back in the corner of the reception area across from studio and listen to Dylan record thru the wall.   The second night Gary Katz comes down to the reception area sits in a chair by the studio wall and is listening to Dylan record because he was a big Dylan fan.   Then I noticed over the next week Katz is in the reception area like me listening to Dylan through the wall.   So I mention it to my friends and they tell me Katz is booking Steely Dan studio time so he can hangout at the Village and listen to Dylan record.   That ABC Records is paying for the studio time thinking Katz is doing something for Dan.  LOL    Yes, the money was flowing back in the 70's. 
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• I remember seeing the ads in Keyboard and a picture of the Odyssey on the Musicians Friend catalog. I really wanted one but ended up with the MiniMoog because it was available. In the late 70's you didn't have a lot of choices in a small rural town. Was very interested when this came out but reviews of the horrible touch pads scared me away. Wish it had more jacks for interfacing with the Behringer 2600. Still, maybe someday. Wonder how it compares to the Korg version?
    • Carlo, you make that Oddy sound fabulous! I have a black-face Oddy and Axxe in my garage, have had both since the '80's, and both need new sliders, probably new caps, and a ton of cleaning. But hearing you play it made me feel nostalgic for that sound! Given the price of the Behringer, it'll probably be cheaper to just buy a new one than to fix mine.
    • OT - just a comment on the original white face Oddy - I modified mine so I had an octave up/down switch. Also changed the pitch knob to one which had a notch sticking out so that I could curl my little finger round it and be confident that I could return it to the neutral position. And I managed to rewire the modulation slider on the first oscillator so that the second oscillator modulated too. It was all very ambitious of me, with not much real understanding of what I was doing, but it worked nicely. i hung onto it for years, only selling it off about 10 years ago. Nowadays I occasionally use the app on the iPad. It’s close enough for me.
  • Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries