Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do I perform a Univox-ectomy?

Krakit

Or, "There's a massive growth on my organ!"

I have a Korg CX3 that I bought back in the late 70's. I got a great deal on it, but it has this problem. The person that had it before me customized it. He built an entirely new wooden case for it and spliced a Univox three voice electronic piano on top. Like a two tier job. Get the picture? Anyway, it isn't as though I never use the Univox. It has a place sometimes, but lugging this conglomeration around is more than a little cumbersome. I mean the Korg alone weighs 50 pounds without the added 15 or 20 lbs that the Univox adds.

Do you think that I can find an empty Korg shell or possibly have someone lop off the Univox and graft new wood on? Should I wait until someone sells me an electronically burned out Korg with a good wood?

Carl

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are several companies that offer expertise in regards to the CX/BX-3. I'll see if I can find out about them. A friend just put one back together that had one foot in the grave. He should know the company names. Looking inside, it would be easiest to get an original cabinet. As an example, I think building a cabinet for a B-3 would be easier. Maybe they would sell you a cabinet of one they cannibalized.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Thanks B3 Guy! That would be perfection (as long as it dosen't cost me as much as a whole new CX3) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Steve, I had a Univox 3 voice too (aside from this Frankensteinian one) and that was MY first keyboard too! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

This message has been edited by Krakit on 06-18-2001 at 10:47 PM

Just did a little online research. My first Univox was the Compac (still have the Crumar sustain "switch" that came with it). The one that's fused to my Korg CX3 is the Compac2 w/phaser.

Carl

Originally posted by b_3guy:

There are several companies that offer expertise in regards to the CX/BX-3. I'll see if I can find out about them. A friend just put one back together that had one foot in the grave. He should know the company names. Looking inside, it would be easiest to get an original cabinet. As an example, I think building a cabinet for a B-3 would be easier. Maybe they would sell you a cabinet of one they cannibalized.

Any luck finding out about a cabinet for my CX3?

Thanks in advance,

Carl

Originally posted by Krakit:

Any luck finding out about a cabinet for my CX3?

Thanks in advance,

Carl

I left a message on his machine. He phoned me back & I was out. I'll try & talk to him today.

Steve

Originally posted by b_3guy:

I left a message on his machine. He phoned me back & I was out. I'll try & talk to him today.

The place is called the Good Guys in St. Paul, Minn. 1-651-292-9165. Max Posey is the contact. They seem to CX-3 experts.

This message has been edited by b_3guy on 06-21-2001 at 04:06 PM

Steve

Originally posted by Krakit:

Thanks B3guy. I called and my new cabinet is on it's way.

If I have any trouble reassembling it I can ask you questions right? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

I love when something like this actually works out. I'm not the guy to talk to in regards to any assembly problems, the Good Guys are. But if you don't have any luck with them, like they ask you for money or if you prefer, I'll put you in touch with my friend. I'm sure he will be happy to talk you through it.

Steve

Archived