Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

News article: Keyboard players have lower IQ than drummers!

nursers

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I've been busy but I'll go listen to your music and comment on it in the "Let's Hear It" thread NOW http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif.

I'm not surprised at the IQ study...I've met some smart drummers.

This message has been edited by Steve LeBlanc on 06-26-2001 at 07:35 PM

If you factor in folks like the guy from "Flock of Seagulls" that call themselves keyboardist/synth players, you might warp the curve a bit.

How would the test be if all the players had to be proficient?

Carl

lol

actually, the reason for posting this was on comments that we needed some bigger threads to compete with the other forums :-)

I appreciate you checking out my lil ole mp3 file though :-0

David

Originally posted by valkyriesound:

How did Trombone players do...?

Hard to compare stats since they use a sliding scale.

Frosty

This message has been edited by Frosty on 06-26-2001 at 11:58 PM

This message has been edited by Frosty on 06-27-2001 at 12:00 AM

This is going back more than 30 years, but from what I remember of music theory class (and solfège, for that matter), drummers and vocalists were always competing for last place.

I always make it a point to speak slowly to drummers, and for vocalists, I always play the part they are attempting to learn a hundred times before proceeding to the next phrase.

All the best, Dave

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Frosty:

OUCH! I love it, but OUCH!

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Well, I`dont think Radio show mentioned that there are three types of inteligence:

1. Abstract inteligence

2. Manual Inteligence

3. General inteligence.

Drummers could have higher Manual Inteligence when compared to keyboard players, and we could have higher Abstract inteligence. That`s what my neighbor who has PhD explaned to me today when I first laid my eyes on this thread. Anyway there are lots of us who play keyboards and drumms as well.

(sorry for bad english http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif )

Faruk

Fat But Fast

Originally posted by Faruk:

Well, I`dont think Radio show mentioned that there are three types of inteligence:

1. Abstract inteligence

2. Manual Inteligence

3. General inteligence.

Faruk

4. "Setting up drum kit without setting down beer" intelligence.

This message has been edited by steadyb on 06-27-2001 at 05:16 PM

Originally posted by SWBuck1074@aol.com:

I think the scale they were referring to was for the amount of drool on the paper!

Steve

Was the drool spilling evenly from both sides of the mouth??? If not, you may need to check to make sure the riser is level.

When it comes to giging, who is really intelligent. The drummer or keyboard player who has to schlep tones of gear around, or the vocalist who just wants a a glass of warm water and a sweater?
Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

Originally posted by SFOracle:

When it comes to giging, who is really intelligent. The drummer or keyboard player who has to schlep tones of gear around, or the vocalist who just wants a a glass of warm water and a sweater?

What's the last thing a sripper does with her asshole before work???

Drops him and his drums off at band practice.

What's the first thing a chick singer does when she wakes up???

Gets dressed and goes home.

Originally posted by SFOracle:

I don't know who's more intelligent, but the singer is usually the biggest asshole since he doens't have gear to carry but still won't help. (Disappears magically at the end of the gig).

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I second that motion! Have never met a singer who got off his ass and helped lug gear, even their own mic stand etc. I should have made the thread name "Singers have lower IQ's than everyone", but then there would have just been 450 replies saying "I agree" http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

www.mp3.com/thirdstoreystory

Originally posted by Faruk:

1. Abstract inteligence

2. Manual Inteligence

3. General inteligence.

You forgot Artificial Intelligence, also called Drummer Intelligence... That's the kind our skin-bashing friends possess http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Originally posted by kcbass:

I know you just said that to start an arguement. Almost got me. lol

hehe actually maybe there should be athread on 'what are the best thread titles to cause a flame war?" :0

------------------

I had a classical piano teacher for years. I still consider him and his wife good friends. We did however get into a discussion about drums at one point. Having played for years and years, I told him I thought I had more ability at drumming than classical piano. Never mind the fact I had played drums for over 20 years at that point, and probably only 5 years at classical piano (I had rock/jazz/popular piano lessons before I began taking classical). Anyway, his response floored me. He said something along the lines of "Well, drums and percussion doesn't take much skill to play. Piano is so much harder." It was ignorance so pure, that it didn't even qualify as arrogance.

Anybody that thinks playing "Faiting in Coils" or "In The Dead of Night" note-for-note is easy...well, as Mr. T says, I pity the fool.

And this garbage I get asked from time to time: "Well, which are you really? A keyboardist or a drummer?" Well, you ignorant slut :-P, who says I have to be limited to that? I also play bass guitar equally as well as anything else I do. That makes three instruments I can play. How many can you play? Maybe I suck at all three and it doesn't matter anyway. Maybe I'm in shape today, and I'm the drummer. Maybe I'm playing Chopin really well today instead. Or maybe I'm flying up and down that five-string neck today instead.

Of course, ignorant people haven't thought of these possibilities since they don't have that capability themselves and have never experienced it before. If they had, they would know not to ask such stupid questions.

Well, I get called a drummer from time to time, but hey I don't let it get me down. Believe me, I've been called worse. Many times.

More tidbits of wisdom from ol' SlopHappy!

(you started it...)

totally valid points - im sure we could all list albums where the drumming work is by far the highlight.

Currently listening to "Crash" album by Dave Matthews Band - some of the drumming work blows me away.

------------------

Originally posted by Krakit:

There is a difference between a drummer and a percussionist.

Carl

Now you are presuming I have the intelligence of a drummer http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

I meant that the rhythm section was astounding on that album, and most of it was done by a drummer, with some extra percussion.

------------------

Ooh, this is a fun topic...

Okay, I like Roland and Sonic Foundry a lot so I would definately endorse them. I'd also endorse Yamaha and not for their pianos or synths necessarily, but because they are the one company who makes practically EVERYTHING and makes them well. Motorcycles, Waverunners... *drool*. As for pianos, I'd endorse Steinway, Bosendorfer, and Fazioli (even though I have yet to play all the models in the Bosey and Fazioli line).If I ever became a professional concert pianist, I'd endorse Fazioli just to get one of their model 308 pianos.

Archived