Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Headphones?????

Fletch

Alright I need some of you experts out there to step up and give me some direction. I am needing some headphones (the wife says I play to loud at 2 in the morning) to use with my Alesis DG8 (Great call Dave, its a great instrument to write on) to get the BEST sound that I can get. I need name brands and price ranges if you don't mind. Thanks to all, you are a very inspiring and knowledgable group.

Peace,

Fletch

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use these:

http://www.beyerdynamic.com/pdf/dt770pro.pdf

AMAZING clarity, accuracy, transient response, linearity and cleanliness. WAY better than the best Sennheiser and Sony have to offer, IMHO.

Best of all, they are about US$160.

------------------

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Originally posted by Fletch:

Great call Dave, its a great instrument to write on

Cool!!! Glad to hear that you dig it! I love mine...it takes up a ton of space in my studio, but I use it all the time. Enjoy, Fletch!

dB

P.S. if you're into Rhodes, Wurlies, Hammonds, Mellotrons, etc, get a Vintage Keys QCard...trust me http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif...plus, here's a semi-hidden feature - the CHORUS slider acts like a mod wheel for the QCards, so you can get leslie on the Hammonds and trem on the EPs, etc. You can also use a pedal to trigger these...

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

P.S. if youu're into Rhodes, Wurlies, Hammonds, Mellotrons, etc, get a Vintage Keys QCard...trust me http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif...plus, here's a semi-hidden feature - the CHORUS slider acts like a mod wheel for the QCards, so you can get leslie on the Hammonds and trem on the EPs, etc. You can also use a pedal to trigger these...

I just got the vintage keys qcard ($40 at a recent GC blowout), and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

As far as headphones, I use the Seiheiser HD (580? I think). Crystal clear. I like it a lot. I think I paid around $180 as well.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Fletch:

I'd recommend a set of Koss headphones, very specifically the "KTX/Pro" and the "SportaPro" models. They are the only ones that have the same diaphragm as their legendary, and lamentably discontinued, "PortaPro" model, which is simply the best I've ever heard, at any price.

These babies look like they came out of a box of Cracker Jacks, but will blow you away with how good they sound. And at $40 or so. Wow!

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Cool!!! Glad to hear that you dig it! I love mine...it takes up a ton of space in my studio, but I use it all the time. Enjoy, Fletch!

dB

P.S. if youu're into Rhodes, Wurlies, Hammonds, Mellotrons, etc, get a Vintage Keys QCard...trust me http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif...plus, here's a semi-hidden feature - the CHORUS slider acts like a mod wheel for the QCards, so you can get leslie on the Hammonds and trem on the EPs, etc. You can also use a pedal to trigger these...

Hey Dave:

Thanks for the heads up on the Alesis board. In another thread you recommended the Alesis products (which is VERY GOOD as I intend to add an A6 to the collection when monies "make it so") I am fully intending to get an QS8.1 as I also want an 88 key controller.

Question...Out of all of the Alesis boards...do you think the QS8.1 would be my board of choice for a good controller. I love the Qcard platform and you recommendation of the Vintage Keys card carries weight. I have heard the demos and were quite impressed with the Vintage Keys card and the Classical card as well

Thanks again,

Michael

This message has been edited by midirat on 06-27-2001 at 06:16 PM

"I may be a craven little coward, but I'm a greedy craven little coward." Daffy Duck

Hi

Don't look further, Sennheiser HD 580/600 will do the job just fine!

Peace.

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

I have a pair of Pioneer 'Master 1s'. I`ll never part with them and I pray they never break. I use them to set up my keyboards then I use some other ychh! for practice. Hit the pawn shops and yard sales, and if you find a pair buy them, and then turn around and sell them to me.

"Let It Be!"

My faves are Sony's MDR7506. They can be had for about a hundred bucks. Wide, flat frequency response, and comfortable enough to wear for hours. And durable, too. I've had mine for about 8 years now, including a couple years of road work. I might buy a second pair for spares in case Sony decides to stop making them!

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Thanks so much for the advice from everyone. I was certainly hoping there would be some type of group solidarity but it seems just like everything else it is a very subjective question. Your suggestions certainly have given me a good frame of reference by which to begin my shopping spree.

One more question in regards to your favorite headphones. My biggest gripe about headphones is usually that they are NOT LOUD ENOUGH. Any thoughts on this???

Thanks so much to All!!!!

Fletch.

Dave,

I'm on my way out the door to pick up the vintage keys card right now!!! Any other Qcards that you would endorse heavily???

Am I correct that the Jazz piano Q card and the Classical Piano Q card are the exact cards that are already in the DG8????

P.S. - I got a great deal on the DG8 (1300.00 brand new plus 100 dollars for the stand.)

Peace,

Fletch

I'm on my way out the door to pick up the vintage keys card right now!!! Any other Qcards that you would endorse heavily???

For the DG8? Depends on your musical style, but the Sanctuary card is a good one.

There's other QCards that I really like, but they wouldn't necessarily be my first choice to go with the DG8. Vintage Synths would be a good example - great card, but you might find that some of the programs make you want a PB wheel and /or a non-weighted keybed...it goes much better with a QS synth....you get the idea.

Do try as many as you 'd care to, though...I always liked playing with the Hip Hop card on the DG8, but then again I'm not well... http://www.contrabandent.com/pez/otn/other/jpshakehead.gif

Am I correct that the Jazz piano Q card and the Classical Piano Q card are the exact cards that are already in the DG8????

Yep. Same ROMs.

dB

Yo Fletch

NOT LOUD ENOUGH?? Something wrong with your ears????????

Don't spoil your hearing bro!!

Peace.

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Let me make a suggestion.

When I bought my headphones two years ago, Sam ash in White Plains, NY used to have all their headphone models hooked up through a headphone amplifier, about 12 of them, to a cd player. So it was easy to compare them.

I found the Seinheiser blew all of them away in sound (unfortunately I can't remember the models), the rest were AKG, Sonys, Audio-technica (spelling?) and others.

The other thing I noticed was that the sennheiser were extremely confortable to wear. There was an AKG was sounded pretty good but it was so uncorfortable that it would be distracting.

See if you can find a store that has this. I can't stress the confortable part enough. I can wear my sennheiser for hours and forget I even have them on.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

In regards to "Sign's" post about my "hearing", Am I the only one that has had problems getting volume out of headphones?? I've tried several different types and had a consistant problem getting what I would call normal volumes (and yes I like it a little louder than some others)out of them when hooked up directly into a keyboard.

Maybe I'm hooking the things up wrong, Is there something besides just plugging the little things in http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Peace,

fletch

When I play with headphones my keyboard's volume is at 1 (out of 10).

That's plenty loud, occasionally I'll go to 3 or 4, any louder and well ...

It might be the patch you're playing. My piano sound is much less loud than a lot of the synth sounds (XV-88)

Also, how hard are you hitting the keys? When I'm warmed up a volume setting of 1 or 2 is more than good enough, but when I just sit down cold, I play more softly.

Ok, I'm not one to not ask a simple/stupid question so here goes because I've got two of them.

1. Will the headphone sound produce my piano sound in stereo or mono???

2. Will some of the headphones be so accurate as to point out flaws in

my DG8 sample that "I don't want to hear". I would rather take a

headphone that added to or colored my sound more beautiful. Ignorance

is certainly bliss in this situation for me.

Thanks for all of the info, I plan on going shopping this weekend.

peace,

fletch

1. Will the headphone sound produce my piano sound in stereo or mono???

Stereo.

2. Will some of the headphones be so accurate as to point out flaws in my DG8 sample that "I don't want to hear".

I would be very surprised if that turned out to be the case.

dB

Archived