Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Keyboard Corner

Synths, pianos, software, analog, digital, modeling, virtual instruments, programming tips - this is the place on the web for discussions, debates, opinions and assistance...and the occasional sports thread.

11594965545_282c74d7ea_o.jpg.e3b7814ba5300332fb257afa0b249ec5.jpg   

Subforums

1. Repairs and Mods

Repairs, modifications, tips, tricks and other suggestions for ailing keyboards and synthesizers.

66,984 topics in this forum

• 2 replies
    • 2.3k views
    • 24 replies
    • 7.1k views
    • 9 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 6 replies
  1. The Dave Race

• 8 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 22 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 14 replies
  2. in-ear monitoring

• 8 replies
  3. Dream rhythm section

• 23 replies
    • 2.2k views
    • 34 replies
    • 1.5k views
    • 4 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 0 replies
  4. Zombies

• 3 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 13 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 23 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 17 replies
  5. KYMA anyone?

• 1 reply
    • 2 replies
  6. Sheet Music

• 5 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 6 replies
  7. That 70s keyboard

• 0 replies
    • 20 replies
    • 7.9k views
    • 4 replies
    • 4 replies
  • Trending posts on MPN

• That’s a very bold statement, but can’t really argue too much! 👍😁   This is worth press coverage on the piano, the journey, the shipping and delivery.  Local, national, global news agencies aware and involved?
    • It plays well with my other pedal including my Lizard Queen, the DS-1w doesn't play with the Lizard Queen.  I had a pawn shop TS9 that I found to be kinda harsh, this an 808 and sounds warmer. I've been looking for an 808 for awhile, I almost got BBE Green Screamer but passed. This one showed up as a demo at Sweetwater and a Mini fit on board so I went ahead and purchased it. The timing was also right, my father was coming home for my grandparents 50th, so I didn't have to pay shipping. Order, right now I have it after fuzz before boost and Distortion. So for now it's 2, but could b 3 or 4, TBD. Then the  Deluxe Electric Mistress and Reverb at the end.   
    • Thanks. Downloading "Radical Action to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind" on Apple Music to see how I like it.
    • CyberGene,    You are right on the math of the lowest strings.  The reality is that an acoustic piano puts out very little information below 50Hz - it's mostly harmonics even on an 88 note!  Tuners use the harmonics on the low and high end to tune.  But, yes, the fundamental is there.  Humans are largely deaf to low bass (check the Fletcher-Munson loudness curves).  This is also true.  So what is the practical effect of the sub-contra bass strings?  Warmth and width and color.   If you listen to symphonic music, what happens when the string basses enter?  Immediately, the music gets fuller and richer.  There's a width to the sound that is unmistakeable.  This is what happens with the low octave on my piano.  It adds depth, dimension, and power to the sound.  There is fundamental, and you can hear it, but that's not all.  These notes are often played in octaves.  What's the 2nd harmonic?  The octave played above but with more character.  That low A has 5 harmonics before 80Hz - think about all that color added to the bass!  It is intoxicating.  Once you have this low octave, a piano seems crippled without it.  The keys are used in playing and add a large palette of options for the improviser or composer.  You can hear this clearly in the recordings linked in this thread.   Most of these low notes are on a Bosendorfer Imperial, though it must be said with a fraction of the usability the Stuart and Sons offers.  The additional soundboard area, bridge agraffes, and other construction details produce far more usable and musical sound in this register. 
    • Pretty close to 100% of my "charts" start life on Ultimate Guitar.   Having that "transpose" on there is very nice for songs where they used a capo or where your band might do it in a different key. I copy/paste them into a google doc and clean up the formatting.  Typically I'll remove the chords for repeating sections with no changes, but leave the lyrics with a header like (verse 2) as a point of reference.   These all live in a shared folder that the rest of the band can access, and that any of us can pull down onto our tablets and have available.  The reality is that the only person who ever uses these is me, but that's useful enough!  Even writing them out helps me cement the song. You do run into mistakes in these occasionally, but the comments on UG will often point these out.  Anyway, serves as a great starting point and if we ever decide to pull out a tune I haven't played in 5 years I will usually have it in my folder, unless it's some dirt simple thing that I've heard/played a billion times.
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• I remember seeing the ads in Keyboard and a picture of the Odyssey on the Musicians Friend catalog. I really wanted one but ended up with the MiniMoog because it was available. In the late 70's you didn't have a lot of choices in a small rural town. Was very interested when this came out but reviews of the horrible touch pads scared me away. Wish it had more jacks for interfacing with the Behringer 2600. Still, maybe someday. Wonder how it compares to the Korg version?
    • Carlo, you make that Oddy sound fabulous! I have a black-face Oddy and Axxe in my garage, have had both since the '80's, and both need new sliders, probably new caps, and a ton of cleaning. But hearing you play it made me feel nostalgic for that sound! Given the price of the Behringer, it'll probably be cheaper to just buy a new one than to fix mine.
    • OT - just a comment on the original white face Oddy - I modified mine so I had an octave up/down switch. Also changed the pitch knob to one which had a notch sticking out so that I could curl my little finger round it and be confident that I could return it to the neutral position. And I managed to rewire the modulation slider on the first oscillator so that the second oscillator modulated too. It was all very ambitious of me, with not much real understanding of what I was doing, but it worked nicely. i hung onto it for years, only selling it off about 10 years ago. Nowadays I occasionally use the app on the iPad. It’s close enough for me.
  • Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries