Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dream rhythm section

Dave Bryce

Fantasy time...

If you could pick any rhythm section to jam with, who would it be?

It's okay to mix and match....as a matter of fact, let's not restrict it to just bass and drums. Add a guitar player, or two if you want. Maybe a sax player...or a whole horn section! This should be some fun...

For me, I'd probably go with Tony Levin on bass, with David Garibaldi on drums for the rhythm section. Can you imagine those two guys playing together? Man, they'd be fun to jam with...

...and, if I can add other musicians, it'd be either David Gilmour or Mark Knopfler on guitar - maybe both http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif ...oh yeah - Earth, Wind and Fire's horn section, fer sure. I might even dig another keyboard player - maybe, like Bernie Worrell...or George Duke...

That'd keep me busy for a while...

Who's next?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched Santana in concert last november, and it was amazing. I think he had a drummer and two percussionists, and the guy on bass was outstanding. Don't remember the musician's names, unfortunately. I would take those 4 as my 'drums and bass' rythm section

Speaking of Mark Knopfler.. I'll take the Dire Straits line up from the Alchemy album any day..

Rod

Yeah! Slurp... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Drums: Gary Novak

Bass: Gary Willis or Dario Deidda (You could not know Dario, he's Italian and one of the best fretless players in the world!)

Sax: Bob Berg or Mike Brecker

Guitar: Allan Holdsworth or Scott Henderson

and in my immense generosity, I'll let old Joe Zawinul to play 2nd keyboard... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

OK back to reality now.

marino

Sorry folks, but I'm just a humble guitarist who has lost his way and couldn't pass this one up. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Bass: Tony Levin

Drums: Alan White

Keys: Tony Banks

Vocals: Jon Anderson

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Steve Gadd on drums and a "Return to Forever" era Stanley Clarke on bass. Also anyone who is or ever was in Steely Dan.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Steve Gadd on drums and a "Return to Forever" era Stanley Clarke on bass. Also anyone who is or ever was in Steely Dan.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Bass - Mark King or Pino Paladino...

Drums - Vinnie Colaiuta

Guitar - Allan Holdsworth or, maybe, George Benson??? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Vocals - Peter Gabriel...

Ok... Gotta go - I must call the guys, mentioned above, to get together for the next week jam... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Kind Regards,

Arseny

www.mp3.com/arseny

This message has been edited by Arseny on 02-08-2001 at 10:25 PM

Bass - Tony Levin

Drums - Carl Palmer (As long as he played to a click track in order to keep good time.)

Guitar - David Gilmour

Brass Section - Geoff Downes (As long as there's a stage big enough to support his keyboard rig! Barring that, the EWF horns. Anything so that I don't have to cover brass stuff again, EVER, dammit!) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Vocals - Jon Anderson, Sting, and Greg Lake with Pink Floyd's PULSE tour backup singers.

Lord, I'd be playing with a woody the whole time!

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Okay, I'll play...here's the rock version:

Drums: Simon Phillips

Bass: Pino Paladino

Yes, it's pretty much Pete Townshend's band, but so what? It worked for him. And I love playing both keys and guitar over fretless bass, and since Jaco is dead, Pino will do just fine.

The funk/pop version:

Drums: Sonny Emory

Bass: Verdeen White

Okay, that'd be EWF, but damn they're good together.

The prog version:

Drums: Bill Bruford

Bass: Geddy Lee

I'd be doing some intricate, odd-time-signature, modulating tonal center shit with those two dudes. I think I'll play guitar in this band. The keyboard player? Either Igor Khoroshev, Rick Wakeman or Dave Bryce...they're pretty interchangeable.

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/tongue.gif

- Jeff

Another guitar player here...

I've always thought it would be cool to jam with the band from Joe Cocker's "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" tour...Leon Russell, y'know, the horns, the backup singers (I think Rita Coolidge was one of 'em in those days)...

But, that's the sound I've always wanted...

Or Dr. John, Bill Payne,...(is that right? I'm even worse at names than model numbers) or Chuck Leavell...on keys...Carter Beauford on drums...like I say, I'm bad at names, is it Willie Weeks on bass? And, gotta steal like the Tower Of Power horns in there (not asking for much)...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I'd have to go with Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band)on drums. He can make a back-beat out of a bowl of granola!

On bass, can I say Jaco Pastorius? Mainly because I wouldn't mind having him alive again.

Not being a keyboard player of the finest caliber, I choose two: my new hero Tom Scholz, and my other hero Dave Bryce.

Bill Murphy

www.murphonics.com

• 4 months later...

Pat Metheny is my single favorite musician, so I'd have to start with him. Actually, there's a band that can't be improved on very much: the Joni Mitchell "Shadows & Light" band w/Pat & Jaco (at his peak) - does it get much better than that?

How about Miles' "In a Silent Way" band? There's a stacked deck!

Another great band: the Jack DeJohnette "Parallel Realities" group of Jack, Metheny, Dave Holland, and Herbie Hancock.

Originally posted by bwilcox@hcarchitects.com:

Carlos Vega - Drums

Jimmy Johnson - Bass

Pat Metheny & James Taylor - Guitars

Rusty Young - Pedal Steel

Lyle Mays - Piano

Yeah, JT's bottom half in that configuration was amazing. RIP, Carlos Vega. Russel Kunkel is great with them too.

Here are mine:

Smooth and other mainstream electronic jazz:

Drums: Dave Weckl

Bass: Me

Keys: Russel Ferrante

Guitar: Grant Geissman

Power show band:

Drums: Me

Bass: Will Lee

Keys: Paul Shaffer

Guitars: Darryl Steurmer (spelling?)

Horn section: Chicago's horns with Jerry Hey and Bill Reichenbach added

Pop/Rock:

Drums: Liberty DeVitto

Bass: Me

Guitars/Vocals: Roland Orzabal

Keys/Vocals: Billy Joel

Straight Ahead jazz:

Drums: me

Bass: John Pattitucci

Keys: Chick Corea

Big Band:

I'd play bass with the Harry Connick Jr Big Band with Shannon Powell on drums, and LeRoy Jones and Lucien Barbarin in the horn section.

------------------

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

OK: Let's not ignore dead folk. If we remove the "life" thing, then who would you have playing for you?

I imagine alot you us will opt for Jaco on bass...

Damn! I gotta try NOT to write posts when I'm half in the bag on a Saturday night...

This message has been edited by joegerardi on 06-24-2001 at 04:04 AM

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Depends on genre... but for the stuff *I* do, I'd have too many favorites to really narrow it down to a dream rhythm section.

Dead people are okay? Can I please bring back James Jamerson for bass? I'd want McCartney around too... (Paul's not dead, some of his solo work notwithstanding... ) Nathan East and Chuck Rainey would be nice to have around too...

Drummers? Steve Gadd, Billy Cobham, Jeff Porcaro (can we bring him back too?) Dave Weckl, - too many greats to list... but I'd pick a few that you'd all cringe over, so I'll just keep them to myself...

Keyboards? Well, I stink as a keyboardist, so I'd have to pick a few good ones... again, ones you'd all probably laugh at... can I get Elton John on piano, and Steve Winwood on B3? Okay, laugh away...

Coltrane and Desmond on sax please... and maybe Charlie Parker...

Rusty Young on steel wouldn't hurt, but I'd like Sneaky Pete around too and maybe JD Mannes...

Clapton's gotta be around too... maybe Mark Knopfler too... I saw them together once in the late 80's and it was pretty amazing...

Pretty eclectic collection of players, but I guess I have pretty eclectic tastes...

I guess I have to redeem myself in the coolness dept over my keyboard choices, so let's say we're doing Jazz ... just give me Miles Davis's lineup on Almost Blue and we'll call it good.

Seriously, there's just too many good players to choose any definitive list. I keep thinking of more and more...

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA

http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html

pokeefe777@msn.com

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Here's another great threrad from the archives...I particularly liked this one.

...and I'm really not Murph's hero - he's just busting my chops...

No Dave, you really are my hero... on at least keyboards!

If I'm gonna bust your chops, it'll be something like: what the hell is a "threrad?" I won't do that, though!

Bill Murphy

www.murphonics.com

I'll just take Claptons touring band from a few years ago;

Bass and Vocals: Nathan East

Drums: Steve Ferrone

I'll let Greg Philligaines (sp?) do all the boring keyboard parts while I take the solo's. Not sure about guitar, perhaps Nile Rodgers and Eric.

Frosty

Canberra, Australia

Archived