Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CS80 vs. Kurzweil PC2

Hi,

I'm getting back into electronic music after 3 or 4 years off. I'm looking for a keyboard controller and am considering the Yamaha CS80 and the Kurzweil PC2 (the price range is about right).

I own a Yamaha MU80 sound module, as well as a Roland module (which I can't remember the name of). I vastly prefer the Yamaha module. I mostly sequence using Cakewalk.

Are the sounds all that different on the CS80 compared to the MU80?

Other things I have considered: A Fatar controller and possibly a sound module.

I'd appreciate any comments you have on this.

Thanks a lot,

Todd

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Todd

I am a fan of Yamaha keyboards, and don't care too much for Kurzweil's, although I own one of each. I like my S80 very much, but the ultimate issue is what kinds of music do you want to make with it. If you're looking for EP's, nice organs, decent Piano sounds, adequate leads, strings, etc. . . then the S80 shines. If you are looking for orchestral sounds, I understand the Kurzweil is good for that. But to tell you the truth, I have always struggled with Kurzweils sounds if you're not playing in a band or mixing them with other voices. I am generalizing here, but I think Kurzweil's pianos sound good if you're playing in a band but horrible if you're doing solo work, IMHO.

My two cents.

Albert

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

CS80!!!! Boy does THAT date you. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I kinda agree about the kurz sounds not standing alone that well. But they have a way of sounding great in a mix. Alesis sounds are that way too except the pianos which most sound fine alone.

But, while I don't have a Kurzweil, I have heard and played many in a live band situation that just plain seem to work better than anything else I have found. I think I am going to get one for that purpose.

Archived