Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I want my virtual!

dansouth

I was very impressed by Bill Busch's use of the Yamaha VL-1 on "July 4th". Are there any instruments currently available that can produce these patches? Would a Motif with a VL expansion card be able to do something like this?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Yamaha Motif should able to produce those pathces through the VL-expansion board. The only thing I do not know is how many pathces this board has from the original machine. I think, that if you have sufficiant funds, you should go for the original - Chick Corea is not advertaising it for nothing.

Faruk

Fat But Fast

I have a VL1m, and my advice is, if you can find one, buy it even if it's a bit expensive. The VL-70m, and the VL expansion board, have the same kind of expressivity if played with a breath control, BUT they have a slightly more limited voice channel and editing, obviously only one voice, and maybe something different in bit-rate processing... I can't be sure, but my ears tell me the VL1 is worlds apart. Richer, warmer, and smoother. Plus, it has excellent onboard effects; actually, the only onboard effects that I have ever used in a recording.

I know Yamaha also makes a soft version; a *polyphonic* VL! Definitely worth checking.

marino

I own a Yamaha MU100R which has the VL board built in. I was disappointed to find out that it only stores 6 custom presets, and that the plugin card doesn't allow you to edit the sounds itself, just the control of the sound. I thought maybe the VL70m was better, but I just picked up a spec sheet about it and it has the same crappy memory capacity. I expect the PLG-150 board is the same. It has 256 patches and then another 64 that are variations of the others, and then the aforementioned 6 spots for user patches. The only editing that you get is how the instrument reacts to your controller, and that can be vastly different for every patch, but since it's a part-wise edit, you have to change it every time.

To make up for this royal pain in the butt, I just found out that Yamaha offers voice editing software so you can really fool around with it. The best functionality is for Mac only, but there's a basic thing for Windows. http://www.yamaha-xg.com/utility/vleditor.html

Here's a link to a bunch of links on the VL synths: http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~andrew/wind/#synthesizers

If you really want to get into physical modeling, my advice is to either find a used VL1/7/1m(that's the best one) or to start playing with Tassman. Tassman is a software synthesizer (stand-alone, VST of DXi) that does physical modeling synthesis and there's a review of it in this month's keyboard mag. It is bundled with Cakewalk's Sonar, and it also has a downloadable demo.

Other PM synths are available through the korg Z1/MOSS board for Triton/Trinity, and on the Korg Oasys card, and the Creamware Pulsar card.

This is what I'm talking about! Given that they have already invested heavily in this technology, it would not cost them that much to come out with a full-powered VL expansion board or rack mount VL unit. I'm not going to spend money on one of their half-baked cards. Six programs is an insult! Memory is cheap!

What's the news on a software version from Yamaha? Is it a soft synth?

Archived