Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bruce Hornsby

Fletch

I love the Stevie Wonder thread so I thought I would throw another name out and see what the general response is. He pretty much makes me want to quit and pick up another instrument every time I've seen him play live. He can do more with his left hand than I can with both hands and a sequencer.

Fletch

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Krakit,

Most Definitely!!!! I have heard several interviews with Hornsby where he basically says that while he is proud of his early "hits", he is a little sad to be labeled as that kind of a musician. His new live album is in my opinion pretty amazing stuff.

And no he isn't a Stevie (or Jesus), but there are some comparisons you just can't live up to.

Peace,

Fletch

If you haven't heard him since the 80's you need to do some listening. Fletch is right about his left hand, this guy and really move. His last album has some really incredible piano playing on it!!!!

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Originally posted by Mike Martin:

If you haven't heard him since the 80's you need to do some listening. Fletch is right about his left hand, this guy and really move. His last album has some really incredible piano playing on it!!!!

Mike & Fletch,

I haven't listened to his stuff since the 80's. What do you recommend that I check out? Thx

Rod

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Judging Bruce Hornsby by "The Way It Is" is kind of like judging Billy Joel by "Uptown Girl". http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif The hits may have put them on the pop map, but it's just the tip of the iceberg.

IMHO, anything from "Harbor Lights" to the present is more representative of where he's at musically today. ESPECIALLY "Harbor Lights". It's my fave Hornsby CD.

Funny this subject came up today. I just saw Bruce and his band on "Austin City Limits" last night on PBS. I would dare say he's one of the finest pop/rock pianists alive today. What a player! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

"Harbor Lights" is great, as is "Hot House". Horsby is simply delivers the most interesting piano playing in a pop music context in the past ten years. There's a lot of Keith Jarrett, Bill Payne, and Lyle Mays in Bruce's playing. Not to take anything away from Elton John and Billy Joel, because they're in a pantheon. Hornsby writes great material for blowing, as evidenced by the great soloists (such as Pat Metheny) that appear on these 2 albums.

Pop fluff or not, the introduction to The Way It Is is one of the most elegant and inviting intros I've ever heard in a song; and cemented my respect for him as a player and a songwriter. I haven't heard much of the new stuff; guess I should revisit him.

------------------

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

If I knew about Bruce, it was because of "The Way it is"... I was challenged then by my pals to play that tune... I did it, but then I started listening more of Bruce's tunes... my God... then I decided to stop trying http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Oh, I almost forgot to mention I do still play / sing "The Way it is" in some private shows...

Thumbs up !

This message has been edited by GusTraX on 07-02-2001 at 11:28 AM

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

I read an interview with Bruce not too long ago where he said that he reached the point where he was embarrassed to play solo and went to the woodshed to strengthen his independance. His last album or so shows this. He has developed one hell of a left hand and has inspired me to work at it as well.

I always thought his solos made out of inverting the notes of chords back and forth in his trademark percussive fashion was way cool.

Bruce is a FANTASTIC piano player AND a good writer.

His piano track on Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me" is a clinic on how to play soulful ballads...if you haven't heard it get it NOW. His technique, feel, timing, etc etc, one of my favorite piano players.

If you really want to hear him burn, check out something live, a video or just go see him play sometime if he's in your area.

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

Bruce is a FANTASTIC piano player AND a good writer.

His piano track on Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me" is a clinic on how to play soulful ballads...if you haven't heard it get it NOW. His technique, feel, timing, etc etc, one of my favorite piano players.

If you really want to hear him burn, check out something live, a video or just go see him play sometime if he's in your area.

O my goodness, yes, Steve, I couldn't let this one get by. You've got it right. How about "The End of the Innocence"? Just incredible ...

He's such a huge influence on my playing - and I'm amazed that there were any keyboardists on the forum who didn't know his work. Guys, go check him out. For pop music, he is absolutely one of the best to study for his voicings, feel, technique...

And the solos on The Way It Is are some of the most fun you can have on the ivories...

lz

http://www.lauriez.com

http://www.mp3.com/lauriez

Archived