Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who's from SoCal?

Steve44

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

P.S. I really wish that there was a place to get a good cheesesteak, though...without green peppers... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Dave, you've got to try Philly's Best. There's one here in Irvine, but I'm sure they've got other locations in SoCal. Their cheesesteaks are amazing! I've tried them all and none of them have green peppers.

Mike

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GO LAKERS!!!!!!

Game two:

Tim Duncan had 40 points in an inspired effort before his home crowd Monday night, Shaquille O'Neal did not have his best stuff, and guess what? The L.A. Lakers still won, 88-81, to take a 2-0 lead in the West finals.

I REPEAT, (and the Lakers will too!!!) GO LAKERS!!!!!!

I am originally from England, but now live in the Hollywood Riviera (which, this being SoCal where nothing is what it seems, is nowhere near Hollywood!).

Like Jeff, I can also enjoy a view of the Pacific - at least when the June gloom burns off.

-Richard

"I thought that music mattered."

• 2 weeks later...

I've lived in Orange County all my life and now currently in Downtown Fullerton but I'd rather live by the coast(any coast!). Oh well, I'm not too far from Steamers jazz club.

Raymar

You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for responding on this board! It was quite entertaining to read. It's cool to see the mix of opinions about this area. Now that I'm back in the area I'm very open to suggestions on how to explore interesting things around here... things other than gigantic movie theaters, freeways, and the tar pits. I took a little hiatus from posting on this board as I wanted to take a break from being around my computer, and I didn't want to suffer the horrors of using a modem to connect to the net. I'll be getting Roadrunner pretty soon...

About the not having a car/taking public transportation thing, I lucked out in Boston because the MBTA is so wonderful there. I actually didn't have a car during high school (nor even a license) because I was taking the bus an hour each way into culver city to go to Hamilton High for their electronic music and regular music magnet. There was a small period during which I tried to figure out how to use L.A.'s public transportation, but basically it required that I allow two hours to get anywhere, and usually needed to be picked up because certain bus lines wouldn't run late enough. I got all 9 maps of the city mailed to me and figured out how to catch the bus from my house (after a 15-20 minute walk) and eventually managed to go all the way to UCLA for a class one summer. But I could only get back to Van Nuys, there was no way to get back to Northridge at night. I did not enjoy taking the bus, even though I hated driving at the time. I can say, however, that I certainly saved my parents about 3 grand a year for the last seven years by not driving, but the last 5 of those years was just because I was in Boston.

ive been reading this thread and have found it really interesting...but i have a really dumb question...keep in mind ive never been to LA and have grown up in australia, but is living and hanging out in Hollywood really like they make it out in the movies and tv? when you guys say lets go out sat night to check a band...is hollywood/LA where u head? i know this sounds really ignorant (and i hate when people think australia is just bush and kangaroos)...but im just really interested in what its like...it just sounds so glamourous!!

Is LA still the focal point for the music industry in the USA?

I don't know if LA is a focal point for the music industry right now...it seems to change all the time...it has been and will be again. It's still the focal point for the Movie Business and that can be exciting by itself for many reasons.

There are clubs in Hollywood that are very much what you see in Movies, etc. and there are a bunch of people who regularly hang at them.

I don't hang in Hollywood as much as I used but when I did my experience was that it was very glamorous feeling and still is at times. There's a scene here just like anywhere else and there is an excitement knowing that things DO happen for bands here.

At the same time there are some really trashy and lame things about Hollywood/LA and if you're in that scene long enough without breaking out into something better then it can be a real waste.

ALSO and this is very important thing...people move to LA constantly to find success so you have Thousands of mediocre crappy "artists" that are living a lie. Separating yourself from that can be difficult.

I know I just said a lot of nothing because there really is no clear answer to your question. LA/Hollywood is an enigma...there are good things about it...totally amazing things about it...and it's also really messed up just like anywhere else. But overall...I've never been anywhere like it and I've been everywhere...

New York is another wildly different kind of place with a very cool club scene...actually there's more going on there musically as far as I know.

That's my perspective...others will have a totally different view of LA...it's a BIG city and not everyone hangs with the same people or in the same places. There are lots of people who never go to Hollywood...I don't go near as often as I used to.

This message has been edited by Steve LeBlanc on 07-04-2001 at 12:19 AM

I'm from Australia but lived in LA(Sherman Oaks) from 1990-96. It certainly isn't as glamourous as you may imagine, but the amount of excellent musicians is quite amazing. I did a LOT of casuals while living there, and hardly any of the bands/personnel sucked. Not only that , I generally found American musicians to be far more genuinely positive and enthusiastic than any I've worked with here. If you're at all interested in music for movies, LA is the place to be. Of course, the ol' Northridge earthquake took a few bottles of Glenlivet to get thru... Ahhh, Trader Joes....!

Archived