Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ideal bass synth...

Jg42

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so sure you will get a lot of responses saying "MiniMoog"... and I will agree with them.

However I don't have a real one. I have MODEL-E and REAKTOR softsynths and I am quite happy with their results. So, they are my weapon of choice.

If I had to choose a new one, perhaps I'd go for the NOVATION BASS STATION. I tried one once and it was simply cool. Apparently it is a real analog beast.

------------------

Gustavo G Lozada

Moderador de:

MusicPlayer.com/NuestroForo

"La voz en Español en Música y Tecnología"

GusTraX @yahoo.com

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

I would have to say the undisputed heavyweight champ for synth bass or a bass synth would have to be the MiniMoog. The Andromeda does great "bass, and then some", too. But the MiniMoog's track record across all musical styles for bass sounds speaks for itself.

whatever synth you buy, use an guitarr-amp to it. I tested using the Revalver-plugin(guitarr-amp-emulator) together with a simple softsynth to get a mindblowing bass sound. I also tried the Tassman softsynth to get a great bass-sound through their guitarr-emulator. I think it has built in amp/compressor that really does a great job.

I came up with these ideas when struggling with EQ'ing synthbass. And it never felt "right". Too muddy or too thin in the lower spectrum. Real bass has a naturalness to it that remedies the "muddy"-ness http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif.

/d-kay

Never having owned a MiniMoog I cannot recommend it, but that said, I know it is a monster for this application.

In my personal studio I make use of a Waldorf Pulse, Waldorf Q, and TC Works Mercury-1 plug-in for bass sounds.

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

I own a Mini Moog, and a Korg Z1. Both work really well. I have used a Juno 106 in another studio and it has a very deep lower octave that is very cool. You need to watch out for a 45hz bump with it, however. If your studio monitors don't have a sub, your bass will be overwelming when you play your mix on a real club system. The Z1 is my current favorite; very deep and round. Just my opinion, of course.

Gregg

Gregg

Without music, life would be a mistake - Nietzche

QSC K10, Kurz PC3, K2500x, K2000R, Korg Z1, Roland A80, Roland S-750, 1970 MiniMoog, Synthi AKS, bunch of old rack modules.

I would have to say that I have not yet found the ideal bass synth. The problem is not the sound of it, but the interface: too often, I want to play with my left hand, but want to tweak knobs and use pitch bend as well and aftertouch just doesn't cut it. I kinda wish I could take my Kawai K5000S or a Nord Lead and just reverse the interface completely (not that I'm left handed) so that the right hand controls the wheels and is closer to the knobs. Playing any kind of synth line is a very physical sensation for me, and I can't stand it when I don't connect physically with a keyboard, whether it's the bed or the orientation of the wheels.

I guess what I'm waiting for is that Surface One by Midiman to come out.. then if I mount that on my keyboard on the right side, I can control as much as I want and still play lefty bass.

Originally posted by Steve44:

I would have to say that I have not yet found the ideal bass synth. The problem is not the sound of it, but the interface: too often, I want to play with my left hand, but want to tweak knobs and use pitch bend as well and aftertouch just doesn't cut it. I kinda wish I could take my Kawai K5000S or a Nord Lead and just reverse the interface completely (not that I'm left handed) so that the right hand controls the wheels and is closer to the knobs. Playing any kind of synth line is a very physical sensation for me, and I can't stand it when I don't connect physically with a keyboard, whether it's the bed or the orientation of the wheels.

I guess what I'm waiting for is that Surface One by Midiman to come out.. then if I mount that on my keyboard on the right side, I can control as much as I want and still play lefty bass.

You know that you can send Pitch bend and Modulation via midi, right?

Assign another synth near your right hand to control these functions and you're all set. Of course this doesn't work with vintage un-retrofitted analogue boards. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Archived