Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dig My Rig--Let's see your setup!

21 minutes ago, Dave Ferris said:

I guess this qualifies me as a "Yamaha guy" for electronic keyboards. Although probably one will soon be leaving the Quartet and we'll just be a Trio.

B50AEFF8-E450-473E-88D5-CF07725E7081_1_201_a.jpeg

That is a lot of Yams in one place ;)

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

37 minutes ago, Dave Ferris said:

I guess this qualifies me as a "Yamaha guy" for electronic keyboards. Although probably one will soon be leaving the Quartet and we'll just be a Trio.

B50AEFF8-E450-473E-88D5-CF07725E7081_1_201_a.jpeg

Even if you sell 1, I don't think you'll be missing any Yamaha piano sounds.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

On 3/21/2022 at 6:47 AM, mcgoo said:

I've been playing with a singer/songwriter for the last 25 years. The gig has more & more evolved into an organ centric gig, so I've been wanting to go to a dual manual organ. Her music, however still calls for other sounds- primarily Wurlie, Piano, Mellotron & a few other, mostly organic sounds. So, I just redid my live rig. Yesterday was the first gig with it. I'm only using the SKX's organ & accordion. Everything else is from my Laptop running Gig Performer. Everything worked, yay!

Hey Greg, nice streamlined rig. I saw your pic and noted that I have used a somewhat similar setup with a SK2 and another sound source instead of the laptop. I have been meaning to ask you about the midi gizmo with the pitch bend and mod wheels. How has it been working for you since you got it and how are you able to access it while you are playing? I see that where you have it placed you would seem to have to do a stretch that old dogs like me might find awkward. (Maybe you do yoga.😊) I have used an old Yamaha MCS for P bend and mod, but I have a couple of options for positioning the unit quite near to the organ. 

22 hours ago, Piktor said:

Hey Greg, nice streamlined rig. I saw your pic and noted that I have used a somewhat similar setup with a SK2 and another sound source instead of the laptop. I have been meaning to ask you about the midi gizmo with the pitch bend and mod wheels. How has it been working for you since you got it and how are you able to access it while you are playing? I see that where you have it placed you would seem to have to do a stretch that old dogs like me might find awkward. (Maybe you do yoga.😊) I have used an old Yamaha MCS for P bend and mod, but I have a couple of options for positioning the unit quite near to the organ. 

Hey! The picture might be a little misleading as I'd moved the bench back a little for more clarity in the shot. I end up sitting just slightly behind where the unit is so I can comfortably reach it (and I'm north of 60, so I'm not exactly a young pup!). I don't use the wheels a lot because the music doesn't call for it. Probably would get old fast in a top 40 gig.

The unit is an Atemp MC-1. It works great.... however, I'm not sure how logistics would be getting one now, as the company is located in Russia... ☹️

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

On 3/16/2022 at 6:11 PM, AnotherScott said:

I sold it. Hurts a little, I really like that board! But I felt there just wasn't going to be a place in my rig for it, in the context of the rest of what I have.

Actually, I do still have quite a variety of boards that are not part of this rig, and I need to sell a lot of those, too.

Scott, are you still using the Artis 7? Or is that slated for the way out as well?

14 hours ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

Scott, are you still using the Artis 7? Or is that slated for the way out as well?

Yes, the Artis 7 will be going, too. As I happen to have mentioned recently in the "Have we finally reached 'Good enough' in ROMplers?" thread, it still has some advantages over the PC4-7, but for all intents and purposes, the PC4-7 has completely replaced the Artis 7 for me, by virtue of its lower weight, aftertouch, and other advantages.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

3 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Yes, the Artis 7 will be going, too. As I happen to have mentioned recently in the "Have we finally reached 'Good enough' in ROMplers?" thread, it still has some advantages over the PC4-7, but for all intents and purposes, the PC4-7 has completely replaced the Artis 7 for me, by virtue of its lower weight, aftertouch, and other advantages.

I was so excited when the PC4-7 came out, until I saw external power supply. Argh. I understand their uses for lower-priced instruments, but for me at $2K that keyboard deserves a proper internal PS. I think that notion is losing any semblance of caring among most players, and for sure manufacturers, but it still bums me out. Maybe I'll get over it sometime....

• Like 1

I was so excited when the PC4-7 came out, until I saw external power supply. Argh. I understand their uses for lower-priced instruments, but for me at $2K that keyboard deserves a proper internal PS. I think that notion is losing any semblance of caring among most players, and for sure manufacturers, but it still bums me out. Maybe I'll get over it sometime....

Don't get me started on external power supplies... Just yesterday we had a friends meeting and I was going to carry an easy to transport, humble keyboard to play along acoustic guitars. It was a Casio CTX-5000. Nothing too fancy, I know, but good enough for a friendly party, with all, including me, amateur players... Then, when preparing the keyboard bag, I found out that the power supply was missing!. And it is not a regular one, is a 24V job, with a very uncommon connector. So, to be able to play yesterday, I needed to take instead my Montage 6, an small amplifier and a (heavy, didn't have another) music sheet stand. So, from 7kg and one bag, I went to 20kg plus amp plus music stand... Just for the sh*tty supply!

Jose

15 minutes ago, EB5AGV said:

Then, when preparing the keyboard bag, I found out that the power supply was missing!

Good that you found out before you got to the gig, and not after!

I did have a gig once where I was missing the power supply to one of my keyboards, so I hobbled through on my other board. (One more safety of always gigging with two boards rather than one!)

One good thing about the "lump in the middle" external adapters withe detachable AC cords is that you may be able to "permanently" velcro the adapter part to the keyboard itself, and then you only have to worry about the power cord part, which is easier to have spares for (though you need to note whether it uses the regular full-size power cord, or one of the little figure-8 ones, and there are two kinds of the latter...)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Maybe I'll get over it sometime....

About a year ago, I bought a used Mojo61. I didn't realize that Crumar had been updating not only the firmware, but also the hardware. It was hardware b, and it had an external power supply. The pdf of manual was hardware c, which is where i found out I didn't buy newest version, and it now had internal power (and external dongle - but not relevant to this.) It took me a long time to reconcile, in my mind, that I could of waited for the newer version.  In the end I decided that external power supply had one important benefit. If it failed I wouldn't have to pay a shop to fix and I could just buy a new power supply. Also, I could buy a second power supply to have on gig for emergency.

I still prefer an internal power supply but let me also say at least they figured out how to avoid the wall wart. I gigged for years with wall warts that were fidgety when plugging them in because of their weight and unbendable plugs. At least today they make them like a snake eating.

BTW - I also ended up selling Mojo61, not because of power supply.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

26 minutes ago, EB5AGV said:

Don't get me started on external power supplies... Just yesterday we had a friends meeting and I was going to carry an easy to transport, humble keyboard to play along acoustic guitars. It was a Casio CTX-5000. Nothing too fancy, I know, but good enough for a friendly party, with all, including me, amateur players... Then, when preparing the keyboard bag, I found out that the power supply was missing!. And it is not a regular one, is a 24V job, with a very uncommon connector. So, to be able to play yesterday, I needed to take instead my Montage 6, an small amplifier and a (heavy, didn't have another) music sheet stand. So, from 7kg and one bag, I went to 20kg plus amp plus music stand... Just for the sh*tty supply!

This is why external power supplies on keyboards is a deal breaker for me, if I intend to use it for live shows. That and the IEC C-13 connectors are WAY more secure than the little DC power plugs and jacks. I've even gone as far as to modify two instruments to internally mount an "inline wart" type power supply and re-wire the power in to bypass the DC jack at the power switch.

~ vonnor

• Like 2

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

6 hours ago, vonnor said:

This is why external power supplies on keyboards is a deal breaker for me, if I intend to use it for live shows. That and the IEC C-13 connectors are WAY more secure than the little DC power plugs and jacks...

~ vonnor

Same here. For me, it's so much more convenient and less stressful that all of my gear -- keyboards, mixer, and amp -- uses IEC cables.

My band headlined a show a few years ago at a fairly pro venue that is very strict as to when each band is to arrive, load in, sound check, etc. We knew the drill, so we were there on time, loaded in and sound checked ahead of time. The opening band wasn't as... punctual. Only two of their members arrived on time, despite the fact they were a local band. The rest trickled in while the stage manager fumed. The keyboard player rolled in about 25 minutes late. He rushed to get his one-keyboard rig onstage and realized he forgot his "power cable." The stage manager nearly lost her mind at that point. I offered him one of my extra IEC cables, but he said he needed a special external supply. Sorry, pal.

He ended up losing another 30 minutes running to the nearest GC to buy a power supply and the band was forced to sound check without him. Needless to say, they haven't been invited back to open (or headline) any shows at that venue.

• Like 1

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

On 4/16/2022 at 4:02 PM, mcgoo said:

The unit is an Atemp MC-1. It works great.... however, I'm not sure how logistics would be getting one now, as the company is located in Russia... ☹️

I can imagine that the source would be a problem. Nevertheless, it looks like a good solution and the wheels appear to be full sized. My MCS2 is getting pretty old, so I was interested to see that there something like the Atemp out there. I think that I have been a bit hard on pitch benders over the years.

Thanks for the info! 

4 hours ago, Piktor said:

I think that I have been a bit hard on pitch benders over the years.

Ha! You should see the ribbon on my Multimoog! It got played 6 nights a week, 5 sets a night back in the early 80's and the center detent is worn thru. Luckily it still works fine. 

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 9:51 PM, dbhoosier said:

Would love to know more about the light set up.  What is the controller brand for you and the drummer?   Look to up my band’s game but not have everything totally pre-programmed, as we jam some and can be pretty spontaneous as well.  

It is an Pharos light controller LPC1. Making it spontaneous will be a challenge as it is not geared towards live shows...

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/

Getting set up for Sunday morning service.

20220429_120316.thumb.jpg.d6f68d87f931711dc45447a33fb6d576.jpg

• Like 4

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

24 minutes ago, Charleston said:

Killer setup!

Looks like some cool lighting effects also.

Running through studio monitors?

Thanks! The Lighting is just some Color-Changing LED Strips and Bulbs that I got from Wal-Mart.

For sound, everything runs into the the YAMAHA Rack-Mount Mixer and Power-Amp, which is hooked-up to the two YAMAHA Monitor-Speakers on the floor underneath the Organ.

24 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Dig your rig, not your sig ;)

It’s way too big. 

It’s only been that way since the Website was upgraded unfortunately for some reason. I keep trying to find a way to change it, (or better yet Delete it altogether). What am I missing? Any tips?

UPDATE: 

Never mind! I finally figured it out! 👍🏻

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam C. said:

Thought that I’d share some Photos of my Keyboard Set-up as it stands currently.

"As it stands currently..."

And here I sit, feeling so inadequate...

WOW

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

2 hours ago, stoken6 said:

You've streamlined it down to the bare minimum I see... 🤣

Cheers, Mike.

Just barely, Mike. Just barely. 😄

2 hours ago, Dockeys said:

And those colour coordinated jack leads....I love that attention to detail. 

It definitely makes it just a little bit easier to track the various Cables down if I ever need to, that’s for sure. 😄

On 3/22/2022 at 12:42 AM, erik_nie said:

IMG_6011.thumb.jpeg.50c82d8b3f3637ad70f0c7fddc0f2e0a.jpegIMG_6012.thumb.jpeg.a6aed8454ae122df31b03c92371ccad3.jpeg

First gig after corona shutdown. Good to be back!

That is a really interesting and clean setup.  Are you using wireless IEM's? A Looks like a sweet rig for gigs!

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

Really just because I could. The Hydra and OB-6 are really very different and the rest was run off of Mainstage.  This is basically 2 X stands placed up against each other.675639414_3tierkeyboardgir.thumb.jpg.eac9b745ba5065a343b9a46eb9cf6980.jpg

• Like 2

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff