Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dig My Rig--Let's see your setup!

On 2/7/2022 at 4:36 AM, dickiefunk said:

This is my humble setup. Absolutely love playing these. 

22B493CB-EF48-4BB3-9730-BFBACA2EF60A.jpeg

78D41AFA-2A59-4E75-8CBF-B066BF3E27CE.jpeg

I'm playing the same rig for shows.  The YC61 is working out well at rehearsals too - I don't need to bring anything else.  I need a smaller gig bag for the YC now though - was using a Mojo 61 before.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pigmeat said:

I'm playing the same rig for shows.  The YC61 is working out well at rehearsals too - I don't need to bring anything else.  I need a smaller gig bag for the YC now though - was using a Mojo 61 before.

Yes the YC61 is working out great for me aswell. The cases I have for the YC61 and CP88 were smaller than standard 61 and 88 note cases. In fact I think I bought a 49 note case for the YC and either a 73 or 76 note case for the CP. Both the cases fit perfectly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Al Coda said:

What about adding 2 more hands and legs too next future ?

:D

A.C.

Believe me…if I could…

I’ll tell ya though, it is way fun using those kick and hi hat triggers to tap my foot on instead of the floor when I’m playing bass, guitar or keys.

dB

• Like 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

On 2/12/2022 at 3:27 PM, Dave Bryce said:

I added the Roland Handsonic and its two pedals to the big rig.  

dB

You took that photo from the fly harness you use to lift yourself in and out of the keyboard enclosure, no doubt.

• Haha 7

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

On 2/7/2022 at 2:36 AM, dickiefunk said:

This is my humble setup. Absolutely love playing these. 

22B493CB-EF48-4BB3-9730-BFBACA2EF60A.jpeg

78D41AFA-2A59-4E75-8CBF-B066BF3E27CE.jpeg

Nice! Love my CP88. Not sold on the YC yet - just seems like there are a zillion ways to skin that particular cat, and most of those ways are on the CP.

• Like 1

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

36 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

@eric: Does your stand have any shock absorption when you return the board to horizontal position?  I've enjoyed threads where you've shared info about this stand.  Is there one thread in particular where you really go into the details of how you built it?  It's fantastic.

I haven't used shock absorption with it, though I've thought about possibly adding a gas shock that would have the ability to hold it up without me needing to do that part. I think I've documented the details of this before - either on this forum or on the Nord User Forum. I'll look around and see if I can find it. If not, I could work on sharing the details. FYI, this is a rig I came up with 30+ years ago and it has been evolving over time. The latest rendition has been in service about 5-6 years and is my favorite version. I still have bits and pieces of prior versions, some still usable. I keep one at the rehearsal space and have another that could be brought to a gig if something happened to this one.

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind comments on my live rig. It is so fun to play and is part of my musical persona after all these years. I found the thread from 2017 that details the latest version of this stand here.

If you want to see the stand in live action, here are a couple of YouTube videos.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, GotKeys said:

@ericThat stand is so cool!  Have you ever put another board on there or have you always used it with a nord?

Thanks! Back in the earlier days before Nords were part of my regular rig, I used a similar type of stand with a few different keyboards, most notably the Hammond XB-2, which was my steady companion from the early '90s until late '90s. If you click into some of the threads above, you'll see a picture or two. I had one version where I actually rested a Juno-106 over the XB-2, though it was far less mobile than the single keyboard rig. Since I've been primarily a Nord player for the 10+ years, my rolling and tilting stand has supported a NS2 88, NS2 EX 76, NS2 EX Compact, and NS3 Compact.

My very first rolling stand was my guitar player's Anvil case for his Mesa Boogie guitar amp. I put my Roland JX-8P on top and held it down with duct tape. This was around 1988-1989. I have pictures somewhere.

30 minutes ago, eric said:

Thanks! Back in the earlier days before Nords were part of my regular rig, I used a similar type of stand with a few different keyboards, most notably the Hammond XB-2, which was my steady companion from the early '90s until late '90s. If you click into some of the threads above, you'll see a picture or two. I had one version where I actually rested a Juno-106 over the XB-2, though it was far less mobile than the single keyboard rig. Since I've been primarily a Nord player for the 10+ years, my rolling and tilting stand has supported a NS2 88, NS2 EX 76, NS2 EX Compact, and NS3 Compact.

My very first rolling stand was my guitar player's Anvil case for his Mesa Boogie guitar amp. I put my Roland JX-8P on top and held it down with duct tape. This was around 1988-1989. I have pictures somewhere.

Cool!  The Juno on top of the Hammond sounds like a recipe for disaster given how high the center of gravity probably was, I'd be wary of using something like that on a small stage.

• Haha 1

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

On 2/16/2022 at 12:07 PM, EscapeRocks said:

Arturia Keylab 61 over Roland RD-88 with Mac Mini running Mainstage or Gig Performer

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lovin' the shades, Dave.

• Like 2

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

• 2 weeks later...

I snapped this after I started breaking down this evening. Tonight was the first time that I set up my keyboards in an L shape since 1984. No lie. Not extremely practical but I enjoyed it. That's a Fusion on the dreaded X-Stand. First time I've ever used one of those type stands at a gig. It didn't collapse. 👍

Resize_20220304_000956_6882.thumb.jpg.3e14b48df017772b4202e87d22ce4575.jpg

(Side note on this: I brought that little JBL along to run out of the Sub Out of the Spacestation to add some bottom to my keys but I wasn't getting a signal. I'll have to investigate further. I ended up using the EV's pass thru/output. I send a separate effect send to the EV and just usually dial in bass and drums but tonight I had to add keys. It sounded good because it was outside but I like having different instruments assigned to separate speakers.)

• Like 4

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

3 minutes ago, Synthaholic said:

I snapped this after I started breaking down this evening. Tonight was the first time that I set up my keyboards in an L shape since 1984. No lie. Not extremely practical but I enjoyed it. That's a Fusion on the dreaded X-Stand. First time I've ever used one of those type stands at a gig. It didn't collapse. 👍

Resize_20220304_000956_6882.thumb.jpg.3e14b48df017772b4202e87d22ce4575.jpg

Looks nice!  Not sure why, but I've always really liked L shaped keyboard rigs, especially when there is one board serving as a 'master' with the other boards acting as modules, and their internal keybeds are only used when necessary.  If I were you, I would swap the X stand for a double braced one, even with a lighter keyboard like the Fusion, the single brace stands are very wobbly.  That and I once saw the death of a Korg X5 by way of single braced X stand, when the bottom foot snapped off the brace.  It was not a pretty sight.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

Latest live rig set up on the smallest stage we play!

IMG_2906

• Like 6
  • Love 1
Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

My latest "main keyboard set," two angles. 

Usually, I gig with two boards, The three boards on the left are the three from which I expect those two to be most often selected. Depending on the gig, I'd either use  the bottom two (giving me the hammer action on bottom, and probably the strongest 2-board combination overall), or I might use the top two (giving me a smaller, lighter rig, and optional use of the top board as a keytar). Though I'm still not completely sure about going with such a deep board for the hammer action option, it feels foreign!

The rest of the rig is stuff I'd rarely gig with, but I might, esp. for the occasional gig where I do a lot of classic/prog 70s stuff, just for fun. But it's also there for my home projects. I also wouldn't rule out bringing some additional gear to some of the 2-board gigs now and then.

Even with all these boards, it looks kind of naked without the MODX7 which I've relied on so much in recent years. It could still find its way back into picture. But unless I add a "90 degree" board along the back wall, something would have to go...

1786212430_IMG_9005front.thumb.JPG.4b6e5e98571d3f3d477662ce51f3a8d6.JPG

987013163_IMG_9009angle.thumb.JPG.03770cfa925a3175b0b3267cd351923b.JPG

• Like 3

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Simple and clean for last night!
They're a lot slimmer and lighter than the Kronos 73 and Numa Organ they replaced.

2x Arturia Keylab mkIIs, a Spider Pro, and an XR18 in the little rack on the floor.

Off to the right is the MacBook on a Gibraltar GEMS stand. Powered and MIDI I/O'ed through an OWC USB C hub that's also in the rack.

IMG_0020.jpg

Also, one of the best little things I've bought in ages - the Korg i3. Got it for one trio gig at Christmas when the drummer couldn't make it.
Paid for itself on that one gig! Love it

Great for little gigs, keys feel ok and it sounds more than fine.

IMG_0009 2.jpg

• Like 4

He’s got the i3! He’s got the i3!

Same thoughts here. Amazing little keyboard. Even looks like the M1 of yore. And the sounds are pretty good. 
(On another note, where was that gig? Looks like a great seaside bar.)

Edit: Emirates?

14 hours ago, Adam Burgess said:

Simple and clean for last night!
They're a lot slimmer and lighter than the Kronos 73 and Numa Organ they replaced.

2x Arturia Keylab mkIIs, a Spider Pro, and an XR18 in the little rack on the floor.

Off to the right is the MacBook on a Gibraltar GEMS stand. Powered and MIDI I/O'ed through an OWC USB C hub that's also in the rack.

IMG_0020.jpg

Also, one of the best little things I've bought in ages - the Korg i3. Got it for one trio gig at Christmas when the drummer couldn't make it.
Paid for itself on that one gig! Love it

Great for little gigs, keys feel ok and it sounds more than fine.

IMG_0009 2.jpg

Nice looking rig.  How do you like the keybed on the Arturias?  I've heard both good and bad about them.  Also that second shot looks beautiful, is that Miami or Mexico? (definitely not jealous lol)

32 minutes ago, GotKeys said:

Nice looking rig.  How do you like the keybed on the Arturias?  I've heard both good and bad about them.  Also that second shot looks beautiful, is that Miami or Mexico? (definitely not jealous lol)

Really like the 61's action. Not as nice and buttery as a Kronos 61, but really playable. Organ palm-smears seem to find a slight sharp edge but not enough to catch.
I feel like the 88 bottoms out a bit too soon, but I'm still playing with the velocity curves; maybe I'm hitting it too hard? Early days and sure I'll get used to it!

Aftertouch is great - was severe out of the box - but the keyboards are a lot more responsive than, for example, a Kronos where you've got to really lean in to the point of snapping a key.

And the second pic is from Dubai just before sunset! Weather is great at the moment - but due to get stupid hot soon!