Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rig updates - Vox inspired stand and rack improvements

eric

Happy holidays, everyone!

I had a couple of big shows this week and did some rig updates over the past few months that were showcased nicely.

First, I updated my stand. I've used some variation of rolling/tilting stand for nearly 30 years, but wanted something a little more stealthy. I have a friend who is a welder and we plotted out a Z-style stand out of aluminum, similar to the Vox organ stands that I've always loved. This stand has my signature hinged/tilting capability and mounts on my rolling platform with all pedals and other connections fed into a nice neat multi-pin box (that work done by forum member vonnor in 2016).

fttSu6nl.jpg

K1VbbuCl.jpg

On my rack, several months ago I switched from a cheaper SKB roto mold rack to a custom ATA built to my measurements with wheels and a handle. This holds plenty of goodies. My more recent subtle improvement here was related to my Ventilator. I have the Vent mounted onto a shelf beside my Radial Duplex DI, both held in place with large zip ties. The Vent hangs upside down in the rack as this is the best fit for my gear. I've always wanted a better way to see the Leslie speed lights at a glance, just for peace of mind when I'm kicking into a song and it's important to know if I have fast or slow Leslie going. My solution was to mount a small mirror just underneath the Vent. Now at a glance I can see the reflection of the Vent lights and all is good!

k1kp2skl.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love your stand Eric! Years ago I had a pipefitter make me a Vox style Z stand, which sadly got left behind when I left Seattle.

I'd really enjoy some more pics of how you did your stand - just by itself with no keyboards. Does it come apart? I may do this one again :)

Thanks for the kind remarks! This is something I've wanted to do for a long time. I was originally thinking about sourcing an actual Vox stand and modifying (there's also a company that sells a replica), but my use case is different where I want the platform UNDER the keyboard vs. attaching to the sides of the keyboard. As for height, it is at the exact same height I've used live for nearly 30 years and is super comfortable for me while playing (I stand and play exclusively).

Here are some more pics of the stand.

AetBpZxl.jpg

4GQQWMPl.jpg

The top part is heavy steel with hinges welded to the middle section of the frame. The Z stand has tapped screw holes into which 4 bolts connect the hinge to the stand. I can remove these easily and carry the Z part and the top platform separately, or leave it together. The bottom of the Z stand has holes drilled where big bolts go through to threaded holes in the base of the stand.

JblR8aol.jpg

yLC2xX7l.jpg

pijlzIvl.jpg

You have probably answered this before on your old stand, but:

- what keeps the Nord in the stand when vertical?

- do you have problems with it overbalancing and trying to fall over?

Good questions - I have industrial strength velcro holding the keyboard in place and it has served me very well. I have one wide strip of the soft side running the full length of the NS2 right under the back rail and then there is sticky side on the back side of the steel frame of the stand to meet the keyboard. For extra security, I have another "strap" of heavy velcro latched onto the front rail of the steel stand, hooked to the cable side of the keyboard. It is very secure.

As for top-heaviness, that potential exists, but I've never toppled it. The platform with wheels is heavy enough and I have the balance down to where it does not pose much risk of falling over. I've had different versions of this stand over the years and some have been better than others. When I was using my NS2 88 (weighs 12 lbs more than the NS2 EX 76), that felt more prone to flipping, but it never happened.

Here's a picture I posted earlier today on Facebook for Throwback Thursday. This shows a bit of the evolution of my rolling/tilting stand. The shows I played this week were reunion shows from the same band I was touring with from the late '80s to late '90s. The singer always had fun grabbing my keyboard and tilting it up, which worked best for me when I could focus on a one-handed part or solo.

6pNty9zl.jpg

Looks great Eric. A professional baked on red/black enamel would be killer.

:like:

Thanks, Mark! I was going for the Vox chrome look for this version and my welder friend originally had a plan to give it a chrome-like mirror finish. He messed around with a couple of treatments and it was not really working quite the way he thought it would, so he just did a nice finishing of the aluminum that is close to chrome but not quite. BTW, the multiple pictures of the stand above where you see green astro turf in the background is right after the stand was welded, but not yet finished to the more uniform shiny aluminum finish in the very first pictures from my shows this week.

I have another version of the stand that I made which is red with a bit of a power flake appearance, which I think you've seen before at your house (and also one that is all black). I was going for some dramatic contrast with the aluminum/chrome look.

Totally off topic, but, is the singer an immortal? 23 years between pictures! :)

No doubt! Our singer Schiavone aka Vonz has kept himself in amazing shape over all these years and is a great performer. Heres a link to a compilation video from one of this weeks shows.

Dittos on the great stand. I have always wanted to build one to somehow incorporate that look into a 2 keyboard stand somehow for a standing player. With Winter now here in Shen.Valley, and my '56 Chevy panel truck on an S10 frame rat rod project moving along, I think I'll put this next in line. Thanks for reviving my inspiration; if I could do half the job, well 2/3 hee hee I would be happy.

Paul

do you lock the wheels when you play? i could see myself pushing the entire rig out into the audience the first time I stabbed a foot at a pedal on the bottom shelf.

its pretty awesome - thanks for sharing!

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

do you lock the wheels when you play? i could see myself pushing the entire rig out into the audience the first time I stabbed a foot at a pedal on the bottom shelf.

its pretty awesome - thanks for sharing!

Thanks! No, I do not lock the wheels and don't need to do this. The stand with keyboard has enough weight that it won't really go out of control and I use the wheels as part of my onstage performance. I have a 30' snake and this allows me to travel all over the place on the right stages. Usually I keep it pretty straightforward and roll myself up to the front of stage a few times, rotate to face the drummer, etc. It is a lot of fun not being stuck in the same place. People always ask how I can monitor myself when I cruise clear across the stage. My secret weapon is the wireless IEMs! This rig is a ton of fun for many reasons.

Archived