Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dig My Rig--Let's see your setup!

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

He’s got the i3! He’s got the i3!

Same thoughts here. Amazing little keyboard. Even looks like the M1 of yore. And the sounds are pretty good. 
(On another note, where was that gig? Looks like a great seaside bar.)

Edit: Emirates?

Love the i3 - one of my best ever buys, for sure! Sounds great and plays well.
Only gripe is the fact you can't rename patches/'set-lists'!

Yes, the Emirates, a hotel too swanky for me (the Anantara Hotel, Palm Jumeriah, Dubai).
Guitarist and me grabbed a beer after the show - a snip at $20US each.

• Cool 1

I have a few full-sized keyboards, but I recently put this little rig together to have something to just mess around on that is all hardware-based - no computer, no soft synths. My kids love playing around with it too, so it also serves as kid-bait and encourages them to come by and visit once in a while. ;) 

1359718272_hardwaresynths3-13-22.thumb.jpeg.c3447b96ef18438dfe2c4cf7e7f3f428.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

On 3/13/2022 at 9:16 PM, S_Gould said:

PHIL!!! LTNS! where the heck have you been? 

Oh, here and there... :abduct:

On 3/13/2022 at 9:16 PM, S_Gould said:

Next thing: Jeff Klopmier, Harvey Gerst, Lee Flier, Valky and a host of others will show up!

That would be fun! :thu:

On 3/11/2022 at 8:14 PM, AnotherScott said:

My latest "main keyboard set," two angles. 

Usually, I gig with two boards, The three boards on the left are the three from which I expect those two to be most often selected. Depending on the gig, I'd either use  the bottom two (giving me the hammer action on bottom, and probably the strongest 2-board combination overall), or I might use the top two (giving me a smaller, lighter rig, and optional use of the top board as a keytar). Though I'm still not completely sure about going with such a deep board for the hammer action option, it feels foreign!

The rest of the rig is stuff I'd rarely gig with, but I might, esp. for the occasional gig where I do a lot of classic/prog 70s stuff, just for fun. But it's also there for my home projects. I also wouldn't rule out bringing some additional gear to some of the 2-board gigs now and then.

Even with all these boards, it looks kind of naked without the MODX7 which I've relied on so much in recent years. It could still find its way back into picture. But unless I add a "90 degree" board along the back wall, something would have to go...

1786212430_IMG_9005front.thumb.JPG.4b6e5e98571d3f3d477662ce51f3a8d6.JPG

987013163_IMG_9009angle.thumb.JPG.03770cfa925a3175b0b3267cd351923b.JPG

Seems from the photos that you've oufitted a couple of boards with Hammond drawbar style faders!  Nice!  😎

Here for the gear.

On 3/13/2022 at 10:32 PM, Philip OKeefe said:

I have a few full-sized keyboards, but I recently put this little rig together to have something to just mess around on that is all hardware-based - no computer, no soft synths. My kids love playing around with it too, so it also serves as kid-bait and encourages them to come by and visit once in a while. ;) 

1359718272_hardwaresynths3-13-22.thumb.jpeg.c3447b96ef18438dfe2c4cf7e7f3f428.jpeg

One man's "little rig" is another's 'rhoid rage of a project studio.:taz::rocker:

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

On 3/15/2022 at 9:00 PM, drawback said:

Seems from the photos that you've oufitted a couple of boards with Hammond drawbar style faders!  Nice!  😎

Yes, in that photo they're on the PC4, though I have had them on a couple of other boards, too. Psychologically, it does improve the organ experience! The look, the feel, the color coding all do their part.

Having just posted about the rig in the "most useful/enjoyable board" thread, I was reminded that I didn't actually list the stuff in the pic, not all of which is easy to see. 

On the left, bottom to top: Yamaha YC73, Kurzweil PC4-7, Roland AX-Edge. There's a Roland SE-02 on the YC73, and there's a V3 piano module I was evaluating sitting on the Kurz, but I'm not keeping that. (It's a cool box, but its MIDI integration is complicated because there's no way to stop it from listening on all channels, unless you do something like add a MIDI Solutions box.) There's an iPad Pro mounted on the right. (I'm still intending to connect a Surface Pro as well.)

On the right, bottom to top: Casio PX-320, Hammond SK Pro, Korg PA1000, Nord Lead 3. The old Casios (PX-x20 and earlier) have some of my favorite actions, and I like shallow slabs, and that Casio has a nice combination of sounds and ability to redefine its sound-select buttons, while also having the 1/4" in and out that my PX-500L lacked. The newly arrived YC73 may be making this one more redundant, though. (The Casio had previously been my bottom board on the left side.) There are two little devices on the boards, but their positions are reversed, At the right edge of the Hammond, I have a Quadrant digital delay effects box which is actually intended for the Nord Lead 3, and on the Nord Lead 3, I have a Faderfox box of knobs and sliders, which is intended to add real-time synth controls to the polyphonic sounds of the Hammond.

In front of the right stack is a Digidesign 002, and there's usually an old 17" Macbook sitting on top of it, it's basically there just to run my old version of Pro Tools.

In/on the rack, there is a Roland Integra 7, an Alesis QSR, a Creamware Minimax, a Nord Electro 2 rack, and a line mixer. The Nord is another piece which may be found redundant with the addition of the YC73. Since the SK Pro doesn't typically make it to a gig, I was thinking that the Nord rack could be a nice way to add a better-than-Kurz organ, with its own dedicated controls; or that I might use its controls in conjunction with VB3m/B-3X from the iPad (the LED display of the drawbars could work well for that). But this could be something else that the YC73 could make too redundant.

On the floor, there is an EV ZXa1 along the back wall, and a recently arrived Alto TS308 under the rack.

If you're eagle-eyed, to the right of the right stack, you can spot the Dexibell P3. That's mostly for the cocktail/ceremony stuff where I want a board with good built-in speakers. (The PA1000 could also fill that need, but its 61 keys, uninspiring piano sound, and so-so action make rather unsatisfying for solo piano work... though you could probably load a better piano sound into it.) When the Casio was in my left stack (where the YC73 is now), the P3 had been in the right (where the Casio is now). I really do enjoy playing the Dexibell, especially with the soundfonts I've loaded into it, but again, with the YC73 in the rig, it has less of a draw. At some gigs where I bring the Dexibell for cocktail/ceremony, though, I still might also use it as a bottom board for the main part of the gig, so as to avoid having to bring 3 boards. It depends on the logistics of the venue and how much time I'll have to move and reconnect gear between the sub-events.

I mentioned that my "main" gigging stuff is in the left stack, but pieces from the right stack could find their way in from time-to-time, and coincidentally within 24 hrs, I got a gig where I think it will make sense to sub in the Korg PA1000 and make it one of the 2 gigging boards for the night. It's one of the rare gigs where I need drum patterns. I could do it on the PC4-7 (heck, there's almost nothing that CAN'T be done on the PC4-7), but the PA1000 is the better tool for the job.

Small version of pics added for quick reference, which actually, now that I see it, is probably big enough anyway ;-) ... 1965309470_ScreenShot2022-03-16at10_47_08AM.jpg.072ccfce05f65885754edcebda7977b2.jpg

• Like 4

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

6 hours ago, stoken6 said:

I thought you had a Vox Konti as well, Scott?

I sold it. Hurts a little, I really like that board! But I felt there just wasn't going to be a place in my rig for it, in the context of the rest of what I have.

Actually, I do still have quite a variety of boards that are not part of this rig, and I need to sell a lot of those, too.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On 3/16/2022 at 10:43 AM, AnotherScott said:

1965309470_ScreenShot2022-03-16at10_47_08AM.jpg.072ccfce05f65885754edcebda7977b2.jpg

That's pretty!  😍

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

My latest setup. I like the iPad there, but feel like it obscures me a bit. Maybe if it was a normal one instead of the 12x9. I use those Quik-Release Mic Adapters on everything - such cool accessories that should have been invented decades ago.

MarriottSetup2.jpg.0e869d9762b7ae8ecb534cf10de3c5af.jpg

I have a Posi-Lok, from On Stage. I think I'm going to try that, with a solid bar, to place the iPad holder at my 10 o'clock. I tried another boom like my mic but the weight of the iPad was too much. So I feel like the Posi-Lok with it's teeth is the way to go, and avoid any tension devices completely.

image.png.fabe19206b9939b95c405f5346843c8f.png

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I've been playing with a singer/songwriter for the last 25 years. The gig has more & more evolved into an organ centric gig, so I've been wanting to go to a dual manual organ. Her music, however still calls for other sounds- primarily Wurlie, Piano, Mellotron & a few other, mostly organic sounds. So, I just redid my live rig. Yesterday was the first gig with it. I'm only using the SKX's organ & accordion. Everything else is from my Laptop running Gig Performer. Everything worked, yay!

spacer.png

• Like 7

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

19 minutes ago, mcgoo said:

I've been playing with a singer/songwriter for the last 25 years. The gig has more & more evolved into an organ centric gig, so I've been wanting to go to a dual manual organ. Her music, however still calls for other sounds- primarily Wurlie, Piano, Mellotron & a few other, mostly organic sounds. So, I just redid my live rig. Yesterday was the first gig with it. I'm only using the SKX's organ & accordion. Everything else is from my Laptop running Gig Performer. Everything worked, yay!

spacer.png

Nice lookin rig!  How has the stability been with GP?  It looks like you are using an older computer, I'm curious how it handles being a VST host.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

1 hour ago, GotKeys said:

Nice lookin rig!  How has the stability been with GP?  It looks like you are using an older computer, I'm curious how it handles being a VST host.

So far, so good. Yeah, that's an old Dell Workstation Laptop (M6600). It's an i7 with 16 GB RAM, but it's an early i7 for sure. Once I get past about 12-13 GB of RAM loaded from GP, I start getting clicks & pops, so I'm learning some memory management tricks, like running 2 instances to have a rack of commonly used instruments. I also went thru their guide on making a windows computer more stable for GP. The thing (along with its mega-brick power supply) weigh a ton, so I'm looking forward to replacing it soon.

• Like 1

www.gmma.biz

On 2/3/2022 at 9:44 AM, Art-0252 said:

Hey Tony, 

I noticed you have both a vent pedal and a real leslie in this setup. Which board is run into which? Also, are you using anything like a Trek pedal to get the clonewheel input into the leslie?

the MiniVent is backup for the leslie.  Im using a Booker Labs interface for the leslie.  

• Like 1
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

1 hour ago, Tonysounds said:

the MiniVent is backup for the leslie.  Im using a Booker Labs interface for the leslie.  

Similar to @mynameisdanno's rig with Heart on the Love Alive tour?

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

5 minutes ago, U.Honey said:

What's the red box on the left side of the Stage? And what's that thing with display on the left end of the Wave?

Red Box with display is a controller for the lights. We distribute this: I select some programs based on the songs and bassist has a kind of light-effect button-board. He can override the lightshow with: 
- Black-out
- Blinding (All light white and pointing to audience, during those audience participation parts...)
- Wild-break 1 (High energy colors and movement during drum fills or moving into sections of songs)
- wild-break 2

The left box is a self made mixer:

https://www.norduserforum.com/general-nord-forum-f29/nord-mixer-t20331.html

• Like 2

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/

8 hours ago, erik_nie said:

Red Box with display is a controller for the lights. We distribute this: I select some programs based on the songs and bassist has a kind of light-effect button-board. He can override the lightshow with: 
- Black-out
- Blinding (All light white and pointing to audience, during those audience participation parts...)
- Wild-break 1 (High energy colors and movement during drum fills or moving into sections of songs)
- wild-break 2

That's very cool. Thanks for sharing!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 12:38 AM, erik_nie said:

- Black-out
- wild-break 2

Would love to know more about the light set up.  What is the controller brand for you and the drummer?   Look to up my band’s game but not have everything totally pre-programmed, as we jam some and can be pretty spontaneous as well.  

On 1/28/2022 at 10:16 PM, HammondDave said:

image.thumb.jpeg.83aed4ed8fb2675b3083b3c17870bf37.jpegMy performance rig….  Simple, Light.  As most the songs call for Hammond the Mojo 61 is perfect. The Korg Module and the Model D oh the iPad are controlled by the Mojo. most of the other sounds are on the bottom keyboard.

I've considered ditching my weighted keyboard for a lower manual and doing what you are doing, using the lower manual not only for full organ work but to cover piano etc....

I'm just not sure I'd love the feel and how quick the piano action would be.  Did you find it a big adjustment?

On 3/21/2022 at 8:47 AM, mcgoo said:

spacer.png

Same question I have for you as I did the other poster with the Mojo... are you ok with the action on the lower manual for piano work?

I also run Gig Perormer!

I haven’t stopped by for some time and thought I would say hello to everyone and post a couple of pics. Practice studio and the Grand in the house. My 58-B3 and Yamaha EP are at church. Loaded the trailer getting ready to head out tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing great!!

9ABA6C7A-60C8-4D50-9781-34441C678C5B.jpeg

35C239CD-4728-400B-B94A-0230D38C8F68.jpeg

33E9F9B0-F4CF-4EDE-8B86-0E6FFCBBCECD.jpeg

86B46862-0417-4D16-A25D-F802FF46B154.jpeg

84C4EFB5-23F3-45CD-B114-02BA1137313D.jpeg

57852967-FD28-405E-8353-9BFEB22CFB54.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, brandon kraemer said:

Same question I have for you as I did the other poster with the Mojo... are you ok with the action on the lower manual for piano work?

I also run Gig Perormer!

I've been gigging with the Kronos LS for the last few years. I'll be darned if the SKX doesn't feel better for playing piano (though I still prefer a fully weighted action). Overall, yeah, I'm happy with it. 

• Like 1

www.gmma.biz

I really like my SKX a lot.  My only disappointment is that I miss the Leslie kick switch on the swell pedal like the XK-3c.  The SKX is killer.

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt