Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dig My Rig--Let's see your setup!

Festival gig today--my office.

IMG_20220910_100128324_HDR.thumb.jpg.97b34c3846eaaa95461ee19ea1e0b3a6.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

34 minutes ago, justin_havu said:

Festival gig today--my office.

IMG_20220910_100128324_HDR.thumb.jpg.97b34c3846eaaa95461ee19ea1e0b3a6.jpg

It's the time of year when I'm reminded how much I wish more boards had this kind of profile: sloping front panel, and a flat upper surface to support your upstairs board.

@justin_havu are you using the RD1000 for its internal sounds? Or only as a controller?

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stoken6 said:

@justin_havuAre you using the RD1000 for its internal sounds? Or only as a controller?

Using it as both.  Piano 1 and 3 on the RD, blended with various pads and a chorused CP80 from the MODX.  Synth stuff is played from the MODX 

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

On 9/10/2022 at 10:45 AM, stoken6 said:

It's the time of year when I'm reminded how much I wish more boards had this kind of profile: sloping front panel, and a flat upper surface to support your upstairs board.

Yup.  I can see, and get to, everything I need to on that front panel, and there's plenty of room to set the MODX up there.

I do have to reach a little bit for the MODX, but not to the point where it's uncomfortable to play.  I do wish the pedal/power supply cable were a bit longer so I could raise the height of the whole rig another 3-4 inches, which would get my wrists nice and straight, and in a comfortable playing position.

Hardware

Software

2 hours ago, zukskywalker said:

CDEA543F-2E29-4EBC-9004-E1E26A05AB0E.thumb.jpeg.98c0f696c9ebda428259dc2ee8d9bc1d.jpegfirst mock-up of the ultralight to include Iconnect/iPad/12step/fc7 and sustains

Cool ultralight setup but my brain doesn't dig stand, it's got to be the heaviest part (excluding amps.)  I'm sure you thought about alternatives, just saying. Actually, I get PTSD seeing that Apex stand; it is a quite friendly stand. It just reminds me of the 20+ yrs of GB and I also concluded its attributes.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

The stand is actually a discontinued ultimate support Deltex 48 pro now cut down to about 32 inches instead of 48. The Deltex is a lighter “prosumer” version of the apex and I got this one used/cheap because of a busted back leg support. I have to say that it’s a bad design but hey because of that I got it for dirt cheap!😎

• 2 weeks later...

1. Figure out exactly where (in three dimensions) you want the instruments to sit during performance.

2. Build a stand to hold them securely in their exact place.

3. Decide what foot controllers (pedals and switches) you want, where you want them to sit, and how to keep them in place.

4. Figure out how you want to wire it all up for fast setup and tear-down.

I just added a Summit to my live rig, and managed to arrange three keyboards in a space that's only 3" deeper and 2.5" taller than before. Profiled the boards in a 2D CAD program for placement, then raided the back of the closet for what's left of my USS T-Connectors, tubes and cross-supports. Cut tubes to length and squared it all up. I realized that during live performance I literally never use the display on either the Forte or the Kronos, nor do I touch the panel buttons. That's all done ahead of time while programming the sounds, splits, layers, footswitch/foot-controller MIDI mapping, etc. for each song. So I moved the boards much closer together, leaving a bare minimum of clearance for PB/MOD wheels on the Kurz and sliders on the Korg. Had to use 5 cross-bars under the Kronos and 4 under the Novation to insure rock-solid stability with zero bounce. And before someone asks, no it's not easy to break down. I will take off the main tubes under the Kronos and Summit and transport them in a bag. The bulk of the stand fits nicely on it's back in my SUV, with keyboard cases stacked inside it.

Here is a quick & ugly pic I took for a fB friend of the new rig so far. Next up is the pedalboard and quick-connect multi-channel snakes. More photos to come.

~ vonnor

308486700_638458737871353_1779958206094680125_n.jpg

• Like 5

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

• 2 weeks later...

My office at church this morning......first flight for my new keyboard rig (Roland VR-09b on a Stay Slim stand with an elderly iPad 2 displaying chord charts on iBooks). Everything worked as it should and the VR sounded wonderful, despite my playing. It was also the first time I have played in the worship band this year and it was great to be back

.image.png.1e273d8e66e80fb425244155c079c66d.pngimage.png.9ccec17c7db618556ca9163bf2a83227.png

• Like 7

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

1 hour ago, Al Coda said:

Which organ clone software do you control w/ Studiologic Numa organ 2 and why don´t you use the Numa organ 2´s internal engine ?

:)

A.C.

I control B-3X with the Numa Organ 2. IMO, B-3X is superior to the internal engine of the Numa in every way (especially in the Leslie sim department). In fact, I bought the Numa to use solely as a controller when I got tired of hauling my Hamichord M-C3 around.

I think that I've only used the internal engine on the Numa on one very short organ trio gig where I didn't feel like dragging the laptop rack out.

I think the Numa Organ 2 is the least expensive "proper" controller you can get, for running a software-based clonewheel, having waterfall keys and 9 drawbars of correct size/shape/spacing. Its main shortcoming, as I recall, is that it does not send high trigger over MIDI.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

5 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

I think the Numa Organ 2 is the least expensive "proper" controller you can get, for running a software-based clonewheel, having waterfall keys and 9 drawbars of correct size/shape/spacing. Its main shortcoming, as I recall, is that it does not send high trigger over MIDI.

True, but there is some special sauce in the action. It feels better/lighter than any other Fatar waterfall action I've played, so I can ignore the lack of high trigger.

AMS is getting a bit more reluctant to service & repair this model, though. I hope Crumar/GSi hurries up with that SMC-61 that they showed a mockup of on Facebook!

1 hour ago, davinwv said:

I control B-3X with the Numa Organ 2. IMO, B-3X is superior to the internal engine of the Numa in every way (especially in the Leslie sim department). In fact, I bought the Numa to use solely as a controller when I got tired of hauling my Hamichord M-C3 around.

I think that I've only used the internal engine on the Numa on one very short organ trio gig where I didn't feel like dragging the laptop rack out.

Interesting !

I use B3-X too.

Do the Numa organ´s  reversed colored low octave keys control B3-X´s virtual preset keys and does this work for B3-X upper, lower manuals and pedals when switching MIDI channels and/or selecting "upper", "lower" or "pedals" on the Numa organ ?

:)

A.C.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_0278.thumb.jpg.350ff35fdb8c2d32d04b09394ea54e4c.jpg

Finally, i set up my Pianet T after many years...🙂

• Like 5

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

On 10/20/2022 at 10:49 AM, UnderGroundH said:

IMG_0278.thumb.jpg.350ff35fdb8c2d32d04b09394ea54e4c.jpg

Finally, i set up my Pianet T after many years...🙂

Nice! I'm always kind of frustrated with my pianet, that big, flat surface just begs to be filled with stompboxes, but every time, the pickups in the pianet grab so much line noise. It's too bad, because the pianet tone takes to FX really nicely! I bet it sounds great through the Strymon Flint, I have a Keely Hydra (also a trem/'verb) that I haven't plugged the pianet into, because it refuses to leave my Rhodes.

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

• 1 month later...

A few pictures of my "theatrical" gig, taken during the setup (sorry for the mess 😉 ).

Galanti accordion through Voicelive Play + Roland FA-07.

I use a lot the "sample playback" feature of the FA-07 since it's a narrative-type performance, where an actor dramatize the last months of WWII in Italy and besides playing I have to we "playback" radio recordings of that time: Radio London, Allied Army's communications, official announcement from the government, etc.

Very streamlined but flexible rig, in my opinion.

20221216_201152.jpg

20221216_192151.jpg

• Like 7

My band: www.tupamaros.it - Our music: https://tupamaros-it.bandcamp.com/

Galanti Accordion + Voicelive Play | Roland FA-07 | GSI Gemini Rack | MIDI Drawbars controller (custom made) | IK Multimedia UNO Synth Pro 

On 10/25/2022 at 3:50 AM, NewImprov said:

Nice! I'm always kind of frustrated with my pianet, that big, flat surface just begs to be filled with stompboxes, but every time, the pickups in the pianet grab so much line noise. It's too bad, because the pianet tone takes to FX really nicely! I bet it sounds great through the Strymon Flint, I have a Keely Hydra (also a trem/'verb) that I haven't plugged the pianet into, because it refuses to leave my Rhodes.

I have no problem with the noise of the pickups. I replace the original pads with super sticky pads and the sound is excellent. Check these two videos...

the second video was with the original pads...

• Like 1

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

The photo below was from a band gig last Wednesday night in a biker dive bar. On that gig I ended up on the band's left flank by the smelly entrance to the restrooms.  It's the story of my life in one photo. 

Anyway, that night the rig was a Nord 5d-73 over a Kurz SP4-7 with a QSC K12 for a keys monitor (to the right below the red Xmas package). I used an expendable crappy 20 year-old Behringer 802 mixer for the keys that takes a licking but keeps on ticking.   I used Yamaha FC7 expression and M-Audio sustain pedals with some kind of cheap button pedal for the Nord's internal Leslie sim.  FWIW... I play in mono mainly because I'm too lazy to set up a stereo rig for the $75 - $100 dive bar gigs I usually play.  

I always sing through my own Shure Beta 58 mic and use MySongBook App on an Ipad mainly for lyrics for the forgettable 5 - 10 soul and blues songs I usually sing lead on per night with that band.  I had my Behringer B208 on a short stool as a vocal monitor on my right side in front which can't be seen in the photo. 

320154041_1394724561343015_823180393940571866_n.thumb.jpg.9048e1356138ad7531f79db2727d4118.jpg

• Like 5

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

1 hour ago, HSS said:

The photo below was from a band gig last Wednesday night in a biker dive bar. On that gig I ended up on the band's left flank by the smelly entrance to the restrooms.  It's the story of my life in one photo. 

Anyway, that night the rig was a Nord 5d-73 over a Kurz SP4-7 with a QSC K12 for a keys monitor (to the right below the red Xmas package). I used an expendable crappy 20 year-old Behringer 802 mixer for the keys that takes a licking but keeps on ticking.   I used Yamaha FC7 expression and M-Audio sustain pedals with some kind of cheap button pedal for the Nord's internal Leslie sim.  FWIW... I play in mono mainly because I'm too lazy to set up a stereo rig for the $75 - $100 dive bar gigs I usually play.  

I always sing through my own Shure Beta 58 mic and use MySongBook App on an Ipad mainly for lyrics for the forgettable 5 - 10 soul and blues songs I usually sing lead on per night with that band.  I had my Behringer B208 on a short stool as a vocal monitor on my right side in front which can't be seen in the photo. 

320154041_1394724561343015_823180393940571866_n.thumb.jpg.9048e1356138ad7531f79db2727d4118.jpg

Ever disinfect your gear after gigs at these venues? Lots of drunks with bad aim messing up the floor and tracking that back through your area at this one it would seem.  At the least, you walk on that floor and use your foot switches. 

18 hours ago, UnderGroundH said:

I have no problem with the noise of the pickups. I replace the original pads with super sticky pads and the sound is excellent. Check these two videos...

the second video was with the original pads...

Nice! I put the Sticky Pads in mine as well, made the tone a lot more consistent and louder.

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Updated with Hydrasynth Deluxe…

IMG_3429.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

That is my test portable and simple setup for an upcoming Christmas songs festival I will participate along a large crowd. There will be several acoustic and electric guitars and some percussion also. Fish tank will not be included on the festival 😅

Nothing fancy at all, the keyboard is a Casio CTX-5000 (love its light weight). On the floor, my recently acquired Behringer K900FX amplifier, which really sounds pretty decent.

¡Merry Christmas! 🥳

Jose

IMG_20221222_162053.jpg

• Like 7