Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dig My Rig--Let's see your setup!

3 hours ago, DeltaJockey said:

I thought I'd finally get around to posting a couple of pics of my studio gear. There's nothing outstanding that you folks haven't seen, but here it is anyway 😐

(I'm a bit of clean and tidy freak, sorry).

hey DeltaJ, I think I need you to come over to my place and give me some clean and tidy consulting... looking tight man!

• Like 2

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

This is an overview of my setup:

- Nord Stage 3

- Nord Wave 2

- Self made Mixer for down mixing my two boards and the click track from the iPad, also supplying my in-air mix (with aux from main desk and mixdown)

- Self made App to show sheets, Play backing tracks and Send Program Changes

The bigger iPad on my Nord Wave 2 is just for controlling the XR-18 mixer for the FOH mix

DSC06376.thumb.jpg.bb8f858a5f68b3e1fe626339ba949b99.jpg

This movie shows the working of the app with my two Nords. I was worried about the lifetime of the apple camera kit and fixed it to remove any stress on de cables when connected to the iPad.

I used a USB Audio Interface because there is a slight amount of hum when using the audio Out of the iPad. This depends on the used USB hub and (strange enough) also on the used USB cables. The Audio Interface is a cheap Chinese interface, but sounds amazing. I shrink-tubed it, no clue about the brand. Is at least 10 years old.

Any compliant IOS audio interface will work, but it took me some time to get rid of the hum.

Is used this setup at least 10 times in live environments without any problems.

Here you can retrieve more info on the design of the mixer: Mixer design 

I hope this gives some inspiration to others.

• Like 7
  • Love 4

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/

• 3 weeks later...

This is a basic setup I have used over the weekend to play for some relatives to sing along (they are not too, let's say, gifted musically... but that is another topic 😬) on a rural house we shared during the weekend. It was a simple setup which did the trick 👍🏻

It is made of an IK Multimedia iRig Keys I/O 49, along an iPad Air 2 and some basic Logitech stereo speakers. The software I used was AUM hosting Ravenscroft 275 and KORG Module Pro 4

IMG_20230429_234401.thumb.jpg.35b6a5b6f1765dbcd772b33003dface5.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

This is a basic setup I have used over the weekend to play for some relatives to sing along (they are not too, let's say, gifted musically... but that is another topic 😬) on a rural house we shared during the weekend. It was a simple setup which did the trick 👍🏻

It is made of an IK Multimedia iRig Keys I/O 49, along an iPad Air 2 and some basic Logitech stereo speakers. The software I used was AUM hosting Ravenscroft 275 and KORG Module Pro 4

IMG_20230429_234401.thumb.jpg.35b6a5b6f1765dbcd772b33003dface5.jpg

Yep - that's all anyone really needs to create music. This iPad, or a laptop. Everything else is just clutter. I dumped EVERYTHING I owned and all I have now is a Yamaha MOXF6 and a 2020 MacBook Air M1 16/2TB. Nothing more is ever needed for music.

On 5/2/2023 at 12:00 AM, Jose EB5AGV said:

It is made of an IK Multimedia iRig Keys I/O 49

I quite like the look of that little keyboard. Think I have room to permanently put one on my studio desk. My Arturia 61 makes things just slightly cluttered, and it's always up and down to gigs.

Great little setup, Jose! Thanks for the inspiration!

• Like 1

Nice thread, I have been playing around with different combinations of gear trying to get that compromise between quality and weight. Don’t think I can get it much lighter than this with an 88 weighted board (that plays very nicely) driving the piano sounds of the Yc61 leaving me to play organ, synth, brass etc. on the waterfall keybed. Korg module, Moog apps and more from the iPad to extend the sonic palette.
Excluding the powered monitor, the whole set up is less than 25kg and there is an additional midi out on the SL88 should I want to integrate a synth module or similar. Beauty of this is everything can run off one single plug and just two audio outs to a desk or the monitor.

20230503_200356_Original.jpeg

20230505_194021_Original.jpeg

• Like 4

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

On 4/4/2023 at 9:43 PM, DeltaJockey said:

I thought I'd finally get around to posting a couple of pics of my studio gear. There's nothing outstanding that you folks haven't seen, but here it is anyway 😐

(I'm a bit of clean and tidy freak, sorry).

I move stuff around from time to time, and this is a recent configuration, before pondering a re arrange.

as I've bought some new monitors I'm waiting on.

And I really need to finish my acoustic treatment!

My gear generally doesn't go traveling for gigs, so a private affair all round.

IMG_1196.jpg

Nice!

Who do you trust to water the plants?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, o0Ampy0o said:

Nice!

Who do you trust to water the plants?

Sorry to disappoint, the plants are ornaments, they're not real! I used to have real ones, but artificial plants are so realistic thee days!

Saves the watering, and the inherent pests which took up residence. I do still have some real ones in the other parts of the house, which I value and enjoy :)

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

34 minutes ago, Dave Ferris said:

That is really nice ! I'm looking into picking up a barely used Montage 8 myself. The Kronos 2 is icing on the cake. I'd actually like one of those too, the 61.

Are those Adam monitors ? How is the sound for piano and general keyboard stuff ? I'm considering the Neumann KH310s or the comparable Focals. I need any kind of acoustical treatment. Steinway sounds really good in there, electronic keyboards with speakers, not so much.

Yes, Adam A7X's with a set of A3X's for the rear surround. Had them since 2016, but have now actually just sold them, as I moved into Genelec 8040's etc. Not that there was anything wrong with the Adam's...superb sound, the Xart ribbons are soooo sweet. It's just that I had already bought some smaller Genelecs, for portable use, and was finding it a little disconcerting, swapping my ears between the 2 technologies. I became more used to the Genelecs, so decided to standardise, and I like Gen's SAM calibration in less than ideal acoustics. Otherwise just a matter of preference.

The Adams are excellent for piano, IMHO. I remember when I first auditioned them at the store. I went in looking at the Presonus MTM's. Their wide sweet spot appealed to me.

You know what it's like with sound, you think it sounds good until you hear something better. After listening to the Presonus, I heard the Adam's, and the detail in the sound, and the smooth unfatiguing experience won me immediately. I've not heard the Neumann's nor the Focals, but it seems that with all fine monitors you just have to decide for yourself. Originally, my store said I could take the Adam's home for a couple of days to try them out in my environment, but I was confident and just bought them, no regrets.

My studio is only 14ft x 10ft, and I have my acoustic grand in a larger separate living room, where it sounds fine. Because I re create the hall environments using the surround in my studio, the small room is almost an advantage. Both my Adam's and now Genelecs only sounded excellent for both piano and general synth as long as a bit of effort was put into EQing them in the room, otherwise, like all monitors they could easily sound pretty tiring.

Anyway, yes i still do recommend the Adam's for Piano etc, I believe the newer A7V's are a notch better again?

• Like 1

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

• 1 month later...

A two-iPad gig: Genuine Sounds piano on the lower pad, and lower manual of the Crumar; organ on the upper manual; OnSong on the upper pad for music/lyrics.  iRigPro is the MIDI interface.

Yes, those are 40-year-old Ultimate Support A-frame parts. 🤗

IMG_20230622_194426138.thumb.jpg.8ed44db693ff886a1b4a96457eb455de.jpg

• Like 3

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

On 4/10/2023 at 10:52 AM, erik_nie said:

This is an overview of my setup:

- Nord Stage 3

- Nord Wave 2

- Self made Mixer for down mixing my two boards and the click track from the iPad, also supplying my in-air mix (with aux from main desk and mixdown)

- Self made App to show sheets, Play backing tracks and Send Program Changes

The bigger iPad on my Nord Wave 2 is just for controlling the XR-18 mixer for the FOH mix

DSC06376.thumb.jpg.bb8f858a5f68b3e1fe626339ba949b99.jpg

This movie shows the working of the app with my two Nords. I was worried about the lifetime of the apple camera kit and fixed it to remove any stress on de cables when connected to the iPad.

I used a USB Audio Interface because there is a slight amount of hum when using the audio Out of the iPad. This depends on the used USB hub and (strange enough) also on the used USB cables. The Audio Interface is a cheap Chinese interface, but sounds amazing. I shrink-tubed it, no clue about the brand. Is at least 10 years old.

Any compliant IOS audio interface will work, but it took me some time to get rid of the hum.

Is used this setup at least 10 times in live environments without any problems.

Here you can retrieve more info on the design of the mixer: Mixer design 

I hope this gives some inspiration to others.

!!!WARNING!!! When I clicked on the "Mixer design" link in this post, it sent me to a ransomware site. That's what I get for being an inquisitive nerd I guess.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

7 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

Isn't that top board too far away/insufficiently tilted for you Yannis? It looks almost at eye level for a seated gig. (It could be the perspective of the camera lens, of course).

Cheers, Mike.

Actually yes! That's why I lowered down the upper X stand (there are two stands there to keep the ergonomy) a little after this pic was taken 😉 but just a tad. The Novation is too damn short to fit onto a normal stand ...

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

2 minutes ago, ImproKeys said:

I still enjoy my Nord Stage 2 and recently combined it with a midi keyboard. It’s like two Nord Stages

I do exactly the same, but I have a NS2 compact and put it over a weighted MIDI keyboard. Very effective, and easy to set up/tear down.

It's not quite like two Nord Stages, because you still limited to a maximum of two synths (also two pianos and two organ manuals, but that's less limiting). For all the disappointment expressed over the NS4, the provision of a third synth engine is pretty well a +50% upgrade over all previous models, based on my use of the board.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 7:12 PM, Threadslayer said:

!!!WARNING!!! When I clicked on the "Mixer design" link in this post, it sent me to a ransomware site. That's what I get for being an inquisitive nerd I guess.

The mixer design page is a valid page on the nord forum, not a ransomware site, please check! See link page:
https://www.norduserforum.com/general-nord-forum-f29/nord-mixer-t20331.html

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/

On 6/24/2023 at 4:31 AM, yannis D said:

Actually yes! That's why I lowered down the upper X stand (there are two stands there to keep the ergonomy) a little after this pic was taken 😉 but just a tad. The Novation is too damn short to fit onto a normal stand ...

Simple to fix that. Throw a shelf (a piece plywood will do) on top that's wide enough to lower the stand a few inches.

3 hours ago, Konnector said:

Simple to fix that. Throw a shelf (a piece plywood will do) on top that's wide enough to lower the stand a few inches.

Yes I've done that in the past, but sometimes the keyboard just slides on the plywood (as it is a little downwards). Anyways in a gig last week I put the Novation near my left hand (L shape) and a little lower on a X stand- it was just right 

19 minutes ago, yannis D said:

Yes I've done that in the past, but sometimes the keyboard just slides on the plywood (as it is a little downwards). Anyways in a gig last week I put the Novation near my left hand (L shape) and a little lower on a X stand- it was just right 

If the Novation has rubber feet on the bottom, a little trick that works is to drill a couple of holes for the feet to sit in and keep it from moving.

7 minutes ago, Konnector said:

If the Novation has rubber feet on the bottom, a little trick that works is to drill a couple of holes for the feet to sit in and keep it from moving.

Yes this could also work

For the time being I found my solution: two X stands apart, Novation to my left hand, Nord in front of me. It works fine ergonomically. 

On 7/1/2023 at 8:50 AM, The Real MC said:

Sounds like TS has redirect malware on his computer.  Those are nasty, I got one years ago.

Could be. It popped up when I clicked to enlarge a schematic on the linked web page. I thought I would err on the side of caution and issue the warning to the forum.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain