Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dig My Rig--Let's see your setup!

> "Just sold my Hydrasynth Deluxe via Reverb."

😮 You did whaaaaat?? Are you sure you're a synthesist?? Pull over and show us the Moog sticker on the back of your Yamaha CS40m, pilgrim!

Okay, you didn't bond with it. Been there; it happens. I was just surprised, because its hard to imagine that you simply made a mistake. You have a mutant stack of ultimate pieces like Kontakt, Arturia & Omnisphere. After that, *nothing* is a casual buy, I'd think. I've sighed over not feeling up to the Omnisphere Challenge, but I'd have to set aside everything else or why bother! 14K presets represents an electronic marriage of at least 18 months.

I haven't researched the Hydrasynth's ribbon assignability when aimed externally, but their Poly AT design is good enough that Korg licensed it. I liken it to Roland's V-Synth GT as a megasynth. There's a universe of sonic Silly Putty in the second layer under the hood with both synths. I wish I could say I'm cool enough to master a V-Synth, but I have a certain border I know not to cross. I'd wind up like Sam Neill at the end of "Event Horizon." 😱

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

Huh?

"Are you sure you are a synthesist?" Please don't try to be too smart about things you don't know..

I am fairly sure I've owned and played a few classics. How did you like your Oberheim Modular 8 voice or your OBXa, OB8 or your 1978 Korg MS-20 among others.

It has nothing to do with "bonding" I did truly like the poly aftertouch keyboard but I found myself playing the same 10 or less patches. After my 45+ year journey of playing, I like to change things up every few years. This might be an early rev cycle but the clock is ticking...

My advanced age provides the ability to buy/try new instruments every few years. I do sell or trade and no longer collect. I wish I had held onto all 3 Oberheim's and the original MS-20.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s my rig for modern worship, computer optional. The upper deck can take either my OB-6 or the Waldorf M.  Nord and synth go into KeyLargo. H90 is in the FX loop of the KeyLargo, and the Hologram is in the FX loop of the H90. The Hologram is for granular textures and recalls as part of an H90 preset. Nord changes patches on upper tier synth, volume is mapped onto the synth 3 fader for on the fly blending. 

The KeyLargo, H90, and Hologram are powered by a Cioks Sol mounted underneath.

it’s almost entirely self contained. 1 power, I MIDI, (2) 1/4” Nord to KeyLargo , and 2 XLR to FOH are all that go off-board. It’s kind of a long pedalboard, and deploys like it - With almost everything pre-wired. The goal was to speed load in, and not need a rack or a computer. 

of course, I can add laptop easily with the KeyLargo.  

the upper shelf for the KeyLargo hides a lot of cables - stereo pedals and all…

RenderedImage.jpeg

• Like 8

Now I know what the keyboard corner really means!!!. We have played today on a really tight place... And this was my corner 😆

IMG_20231126_210724.thumb.jpg.8cae5136d4ba84b4d33c113ede7b42db.jpgIMG_20231126_210729.thumb.jpg.efb4058a1c88812ff836ca72380d091c.jpg

Nothing too fancy on gear, my MODX6+, iPad for ForScore and the Spider Pro to support all. I sit on a tall K&M stool so the big Spider Pro does not hide me completely. Is close to stand up but lots better for my back. Someday I will add a second keyboard, that is the reason to have the big stand.

BTW I have been brave enough to use my Behringer K1800FX as my amplifier. It failed on a previous gig and I fixed it. It has performed flawlessly today. Yes, I know it is a poor man's amplifier. But we are a really modest band 😬 And I am very stubborn when things fail on me!

All in all the place was full (just 70 people capacity) and we have had a good time 🤩

• Like 6

Several recent threads have praised, poked, and prompted about several of the gear pieces in my current Sunday morning worship rig.  The SonicBar is a little hard to spot, but it's designed to hang underneath a tier of the stand (zero footprint).  The whole thing sits on K&M trolleys...

churchrig.thumb.jpg.16264ec9d19951993b2fc1e493cf02cb.jpg

• Like 5

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

• 3 weeks later...

Reface YC and CP on a custom made double stand!

1703584040515605.thumb.jpg.897b7642450f888e0a811fdced7de9d1.jpgIMG_0703.thumb.jpeg.6593cdbc0445a624cdf315bb63e62c46.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Cool 2
  • Love 2

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

My new setup. Replaced RD-2000 and Hydrasynth Deluxe with a Montage M8x:

IMG_4161.thumb.jpeg.690b171a1845cbec0d63a0a901037c46.jpeg

• Like 8

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

Τhese two cheap Korg bluetooth mini keys are my latest purchase. Very lightweight and combined to my ipad 9th gen, almost zero latency. Less than perfect for any jazz or "serious" playing, but excellent for my 90s/pop/nu disco gig that needs a variety of sounds and minimal playing. The whole thing is no more than 5 kg and the pack-unpack time is near nothing-ideal for a crowded city. I'll even go to the venue with my Vespa :)  Let's see how this is gonna work live    

393161947_1423191055274604_4158876943112033372_n.jpg

• Like 5
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

On 12/27/2023 at 2:07 AM, Motif88 said:

My new setup. Replaced RD-2000 and Hydrasynth Deluxe with a Montage M8x:

IMG_4161.thumb.jpeg.690b171a1845cbec0d63a0a901037c46.jpeg

I like your colored lights👍 The reflection almost makes for color keys...so I know which key to press in sync with the music?😆 I might invest in some just to make the photos of my gear look less boring! Nice compact setup though, complete with the obligatory default Sonoma wallpaper👍

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

'tis the season for an update! Montage M8x's on the house! ha ha

I keep putting off room treatment, GAS takes the priority. When will I learn🤔

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

• Like 6
  • Cool 1

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

11 hours ago, DeltaJockey said:

'tis the season for an update! Montage M8x's on the house! ha ha

I keep putting off room treatment, GAS takes the priority. When will I learn🤔

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

What keyboard stand with wide shelf is the M8x sitting on?  That would work perfectly for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CraigT said:

What keyboard stand with wide shelf is the M8x sitting on?  That would work perfectly for me.

It's a K&M Omega stand with part of a second tier attachment modified with a standard laminated shelf.

I have spent many a time creating my own customizations of stands and bits from each. Studio ergonomics has long been a beef of mine, and this won't be the end of it! I've still yet to find a final solution where everything I use regularly is within easy reach without being in the way of something else.😑

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Old No7 said:

This thread gives me GAS...............

That's not a complaint -- just an observation... 😏

Old No7

I agree!

I've been regularly checking this thread for years for want of ideas😍

• 4 weeks later...

Long time reader, but never posted here. As I just took delivery of my new Crumar Seven, I thought that might be a good occasion to post something. So, here's my setup...

It's really straight forward, old school, what you see is what you get, no computer, no midi (yet). I run the Mojo through the small but mighty Leslie 312, while the Seven runs through a Fender Super Reverb (not pictured). There is a MXR Talkbox in line with the Deepmind and that's pretty much it. 😅

spacer.png

• Like 11
  • Love 3

This pic was in my Facebook memories. Not my current rig. I’ve had bigger, more expansive rigs with more capabilities.  But this  is one of my favorite rigs of all time due to the streamline look and function.  Two boards on a stand with a snake into a rack. The pedal and power distro are mounted in the pedal case below. I have a tablet mounted to the top board with a suction cup holder.  

IMG_2560.jpeg

• Like 6

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'm not a great musician, but I dig synths!  A couple Christmas purchases led me to a re-rerack / re-cable project.  Moved completelyl to RTP Midi via the Mio XLs.  Really happy with this setup.

20240120_130616.jpg

20240120_130631.jpg

20240120_130655.jpg

20240120_130831.jpg

20240120_130717.jpg

20240120_130746.jpg

20240120_130938.jpg

• Like 7
  • Cool 2
  • Love 3

Just now, Husker said:

I'm not a great musician, but I dig synths!  A couple Christmas purchases led me to a re-rerack / re-cable purchase.  Moved completelyl to RTP Midi via the Mio XLs.  Really happy with this setup.

20240120_130616.jpg

I strongly approve of the Squier and the Epiphone!

Tonight’s rig (Caifanes Tribute). This is my light rig, as I usually lug more stuff.
Audio out from the Casio PS-5X into the Fantom. One pair of XLR out the Roland to FOH. Everybody is doing in-ears. Monitor coming back via Ethernet to the Behringer P16M so each of us can adjust his own mix.
Paint job by me! Tablet just for lyrics/chords. 

IMG_2111.thumb.jpeg.cf7eeccc4b745c74d1a410a0829a3daa.jpeg

IMG_2108.jpeg

• Like 3

Memo

Roland Fantom 6/Px-5S/Hydrasynth/DX7IIE!

MBP/Logic/Mainstage/Omnisphere/Native/Arturia

Roland Pk-5A

8 hours ago, Husker said:

I'm not a great musician, but I dig synths!  A couple Christmas purchases led me to a re-rerack / re-cable project.  Moved completelyl to RTP Midi via the Mio XLs.  Really happy with this setup.

20240120_130616.jpg

20240120_130631.jpg

20240120_130655.jpg

20240120_130831.jpg

20240120_130717.jpg

20240120_130746.jpg

20240120_130938.jpg

@Husker

looking pretty pretty good

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes a simple, really simple setup is all you need to enjoy playing.

Last weekend we went to our house on my wife town. I go only from time to time but, a couple years ago, I decided to have there a keyboard so I have always the chance to play when I am there. So I took my MOX8, which I bought in pretty sad condition (lots of bad contacts, incredibly dirty outside and inside, several broken keys, somewhat battered up). I paid just 200€ for it. Once I got it fixed, it works nicely. So it was a good candidate to take it there. It deserved a good retirement 😆

This is the pretty simple setup I enjoyed this weekend. I placed it on a living room corner, so it didn't interfere with the normal use. I have it usually on another room, but it was too cold there 😅. Nothing fancy at all, but functional!

IMG_20240211_134227.thumb.jpg.a8ab4f7ece7c0cd7682f54778f42e686.jpg

IMG_20240211_134240.thumb.jpg.e34ef60dfabdee4a44de19e3668b8db0.jpg

OT: This is a view of the town beach, on our walking to a beach side restaurant, a lovely Mediterranean one

IMG_20240210_124921.thumb.jpg.1c8e96b84b7c8d68f05657204517286b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

OT: This is a view of the town beach, on our walking to a beach side restaurant, a lovely Mediterranean one

IMG_20240210_124921.thumb.jpg.1c8e96b84b7c8d68f05657204517286b.jpg

Man, if i had that view, I'd forget all about being indoors the mox8 and just sit outside with a toy, battery powered Casio!  ;) 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

Man, if i had that view, I'd forget all about being indoors the mox8 and just sit outside with a toy, battery powered Casio!  ;) 

I should say that, even if the looks were beautiful, it was windy so not the perfect day to play outside. But, yes, it is a nice place to relax and I will take my Reface CP with me on next trip 🤩

Last night…First ‘big’ gig with AUM/iPad replacing MainStage/macbook. Delighted with the YC61 for organ duties and seamless ipad integration. SL73 action starting to feel ‘tired’ with so much use but still does the job. 

IMG_0900.jpeg

• Like 6

On 2/18/2024 at 10:13 PM, Jim Alfredson said:

428633171_917273799867427_5626915129280638713_n.thumb.jpg.021c799b3c0fb2a908c65c7550db0a64.jpg

Fun organ trio hit with guitarist Alex Anest and drummer David Ward last night in Livonia (suburb of Detroit). Hammond XK5, Leslie 3300, Yamaha DXR10 on top of the Leslie and the Sequential Prophet X over to my right. We got spacey!

and very nice socks!😀

• Like 1

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com