Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dig My Rig--Let's see your setup!

9 minutes ago, ABECK said:

I wish I could find a modern stand that has the same layout at the Invisible stand.  The 2nd tier height and offset was perfect. 

Best stand I ever gigged with. Geddy Lee used his forever as well. You're right, the 2-keyboard height ratio and the quick setup is terrific. Plus with its design, the heavier the keyboards, the better the stand worked. Get a big old canvas drawstring bag to replace the awful Invisible bag and you're set for life.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

14 hours ago, kenheeter said:

Still have my invisible bag!  Still a great stand but lately I've been   using a  K&M 18880 with 2nd tier. Even faster  setup and lighter. Never gonna sell the Invisible. 

For a second stand, I'm planning on that model of K&M. Seems sturdy and space-saving and would play along well with the Invisible.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

1 hour ago, kpl1228 said:

For a second stand, I'm planning on that model of K&M. Seems sturdy and space-saving and would play along well with the Invisible.

Great stand with the added bonus of having the 19791 table attachment fitting perfectly. Weighs just a few kilos and is really sturdy.

20230930_110855.jpg

20231028_184817.jpg

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I'm in a minimal phase :)  Probably won't ever go beyond two keyboards but I'm already feeling the itch to bring the Summit out to play again.  The rig can go even more minimal if I don't bother with the Key Largo and monitor mixers on the pedalboard, but I just got a vocoder pedal that will be on it so  probably it sticks around.  Even with one keyboard I tend to use the KL, the wall wart is already plugged in so no fuss there, and it of course has Radial DIs.

Still jealous of how Eric has his cabling flush to the back of his keyboard and running pretty much invisibly down the stand iirc.

As you can see I got the white Omega Pro (Thomann has great prices on these) and one regular sound guy we have jokes that I'm bringing out the weight rack again :)  Normally I use a mic boom attachment, that's a must for any stand, but in this case it was a sound company setup that already had it ready.  

The derpy expression isn't--or shouldn't be--a part of the rig :D   

ns3.thumb.jpg.5a0724e3b40bfe2ddf518fdb4c7c598c.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stokely said:

Still jealous of how Eric has his cabling flush to the back of his keyboard and running pretty much invisibly down the stand iirc.

Thanks for the shout out! I am very happy with my cabling and I thank @vonnor for helping to make this happen. Here are a few more recent gig photos I don't think I've shared on the forum. @Stokely you have a very cool/minimalist rig, similar to what I aspire to do. My rig for the longest time has focused on a single board (either NS3 or NS2) with two Yamaha FC7 swell pedals, sustain, Vent fast/slow switch, and an offstage rack with Radial KL-8, Vent, wireless IEM gear.

IMG_9112.jpeg

IMG_0535.jpeg

IMG_9111.jpeg

IMG_7679.jpeg

IMG_0498.jpeg

IMG_0497.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 2

On 8/16/2023 at 8:57 AM, mcgoo said:

Ha! Yeah, I do that {velcro} with both the FP-30x & the SKX in the other rig. Any little setup time savers go a long way! LOL

Plus you don't have to worry about accidentally leaving the adapter at home, or at the gig!

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Latest family portrait, taken back in June of this year.  The MS20-mini has since been sold as I haven't really been using it much and it was just taking up space.  It's since been replaced by an SY77.  The Impact LX88+ controller has also been sold--hated the keybed and found it very difficult to play any piano stuff on it.  I usually don't have an issue with a good semi-weighted keybed, but that one was awful.

familyportrait.thumb.jpg.b94188811456f293df20d836578baeca.jpg

• Like 5

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Well the thing with going minimalist is...that it can be minimal at times :)   It's really a juggle to handle some songs, whereas with two keyboards I could have all the sounds I need waiting for me from verse to chorus and back etc.   I've learned to simplify and combine parts and I'm putting in more work than I'm used to to make patches more dynamic and change via control (which the Stage is pretty good at).

And then you get gigs like last night, a pretty "high end" outdoor party for a band i was subbing for...we show up and the organizer said "The power is there" (points at an outlet) and "this open area here we figured the band could use.  We heard you guys were very laid-back!"  Yep, you guessed it, a patch of grass.  No stage, no roof.  It really wasn't even that level.  Long story short, we got really lucky with weather and the rugs that both I and the drummer brought came in extremely handy.  I was intending to have a 2nd tier for this gig but decided it might get too top heavy on the grass, and I might need to move it around at some point...the heavy keyboard stand helped, I don't think an x stand would have been stable at all.   For extra fun, the one power outlet was next to the bar and we had people trip on the cord and cut power 3 different times.    Normally you'd tape down cords (or have a nicer cover) but how tape to grass? :)   All's well that ends well.   If that were my normal band, our singer/leader would have sussed all this kind of thing out beforehand and maybe not even done the gig in that situation (though it did pay better than the norm).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stokely said:

We heard you guys were very laid-back!

Code for "we (the client) are not going take this booking seriously"? Maybe a "more up-tight" band have got decking,  a gazebo and cable protection.

6 hours ago, Stokely said:

If that were my normal band

That's the bit I missed first time. Now it makes sense.

I do a one-keyboard rig when I need to get on/off stage super fast. Crappy X-stand and three cables, 2 mins.

Cheers, Mike.

On 10/31/2023 at 12:07 PM, Stokely said:

As you can see I got the white Omega Pro (Thomann has great prices on these) and one regular sound guy we have jokes that I'm bringing out the weight rack again :)  Normally I use a mic boom attachment, that's a must for any stand, but in this case it was a sound company setup that already had it ready.  

You're right, the price at Thomann is good, but they don't ship to the U.S. Were you able to get around that somehow?

They used to ship to the US, but it's (or was) brand-dependent.  Nord for example won't do it.  K&M always has, and being a stand I always felt pretty safe ordering from there as I couldn't really see any reason I'd want to return it.

Some tips if you haven't ordered from them, assuming you still can, and assuming these things still hold:
- anything over 800 dollars is subject to US customs inspection and possible fee, I believe I was told by Thomann.  The amount of fee is variable but it could be pretty high.  For that reason I have kept my purchases below that.
- their shipping is high but in my experience adding more items to your cart doesn't increase the total much (I even had it go down once).   So if you think you might need multiple items, try to get them all at once.
- if ordering gear with a wall wart--I got a Lester K pedal--you probably will get a European power adapter.  Not sure if you can still use it with say an adapter but to be safe I bought one for my pedal from Sweetwater.  Could be a question to ask Thomann, and of course this wouldn't apply to stands anyway :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stokely said:

They used to ship to the US, but it's (or was) brand-dependent.  Nord for example won't do it.  K&M always has, and being a stand I always felt pretty safe ordering from there as I couldn't really see any reason I'd want to return it.

Some tips if you haven't ordered from them, assuming you still can, and assuming these things still hold:
- anything over 800 dollars is subject to US customs inspection and possible fee, I believe I was told by Thomann.  The amount of fee is variable but it could be pretty high.  For that reason I have kept my purchases below that.
- their shipping is high but in my experience adding more items to your cart doesn't increase the total much (I even had it go down once).   So if you think you might need multiple items, try to get them all at once.
- if ordering gear with a wall wart--I got a Lester K pedal--you probably will get a European power adapter.  Not sure if you can still use it with say an adapter but to be safe I bought one for my pedal from Sweetwater.  Could be a question to ask Thomann, and of course this wouldn't apply to stands anyway :D 

They won't ship K&M over to the US anymore. Which means I'm done buying K&M products in general since they're marked up so much here in the US.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I hope no one minds a guitar rig, if you do I'll delete it. Not nearly as elaborate as all of the rigs I've enjoyed viewing here, but they meet my needs.

#1 is my busking rig. My Strat, Boss Street Cube 2, Joyo battery powered pedal power supply, EHX Lizard Queen octave fuzz, klon clone($30. Chinese), EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress, and Walrus Audio reverb.

#2 is my small party rig. Vox VT40+ and G&L Tele. 

20231106_122603.thumb.jpg.1f15bf1cd471396c3943c655820545d6.jpg20231106_123352.thumb.jpg.4f7e13780eaf54de517318f27edc7a63.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Jennifer S.

16 hours ago, surfergirl said:

I hope no one minds a guitar rig, if you do I'll delete it. Not nearly as elaborate as all of the rigs I've enjoyed viewing here, but they meet my needs.

#1 is my busking rig. My Strat, Boss Street Cube 2, Joyo battery powered pedal power supply, EHX Lizard Queen octave fuzz, klon clone($30. Chinese), EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress, and Walrus Audio reverb.

#2 is my small party rig. Vox VT40+ and G&L Tele. 

20231106_122603.thumb.jpg.1f15bf1cd471396c3943c655820545d6.jpg20231106_123352.thumb.jpg.4f7e13780eaf54de517318f27edc7a63.jpg

Nice!  I dig the Tele, been thinking about buying myself one before too long.  Those Cube amps are fun too!

I was about to reveal yet again how old and out of touch I've become by asking When did colored guitar strings become a thing? I did a quick search and apparently at least 15 years. 

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

5 minutes ago, Threadslayer said:

I was about to reveal yet again how old and out of touch I've become by asking When did colored guitar strings become a thing? I did a quick search and apparently at least 15 years. 

But the newest ones glow in the dark!  I have a picture I can post but it's not here on this computer.

iPad-based setup with 2 MIDI keyboard controllers. Arturia KeyLab MkII 61 and CME Xkey air 37. Stay Slim keyboard stand. Everything connects to the iPad via Bluetooth including sustain and volume/expression pedals (both pedals are connected to an iRig Blueboard). The iPad is connected to a Korg PlugKey audio interface (1/4 inch TS cable to a DI box to FoH). Total weight is less than 32 pounds / 15 kilos. I am playing in a rock band, so I can forgo some of the nuance that I might achieve with a hammer-action keyboard.  

PXL_20231029_003724933.jpg

PXL_20231029_003742027.jpg

• Like 4

My new auxillary keys rig (mainly church use). Hammond SKpro 73 on the bottom for B3 duties, Yamaha MODX7 up top for everything else (pads, strings, synths, etc). Lots of fun. (Yes, it's a 2-tier x-stand, but this is a fairly lightweight rig so I'm not as worried about that).

Northview-Keys-Pic.png

Northview-Livestream-Pic-3.png

IMG-3013.png
IMG-3014.png

• Like 6

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

5 hours ago, JamieT said:

iPad-based setup with 2 MIDI keyboard controllers. Arturia KeyLab MkII 61 and CME Xkey air 37. Stay Slim keyboard stand. Everything connects to the iPad via Bluetooth including sustain and volume/expression pedals (both pedals are connected to an iRig Blueboard). The iPad is connected to a Korg PlugKey audio interface (1/4 inch TS cable to a DI box to FoH). Total weight is less than 32 pounds / 15 kilos. I am playing in a rock band, so I can forgo some of the nuance that I might achieve with a hammer-action keyboard.  

PXL_20231029_003724933.jpg

PXL_20231029_003742027.jpg

I love your set up (i think i said that in another relevant post of yours). My only concern is the ergonomy of the little keyboard. Isn't this a little hard to reach and play?

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

7 hours ago, JamieT said:

Everything connects to the iPad via Bluetooth including sustain and volume/expression pedals

Do you have MIDI over Bluetooth? There's no latency issues?

My band: www.tupamaros.it - Our music: https://tupamaros-it.bandcamp.com/

Galanti Accordion + Voicelive Play | Roland FA-07 | GSI Gemini Rack | MIDI Drawbars controller (custom made) | IK Multimedia UNO Synth Pro 

4 hours ago, Garubi said:

Do you have MIDI over Bluetooth? There's no latency issues?

I've been very fortunate. The CME WIDI products are very reliable for me. I don't use MPE which would require transmitting more data over MIDI and might "strain" things. Channel-pressure works fine. No latency that I can detect.   

• Thanks 1

We played Friday night....  My first time indoors at an actual bar (and not outdoors on a porch like when I posted my last picture).  First time on a real stage.

We're still setting up here so the teeming crowds haven't arrived yet.  Drummer is invisible in the darkness to the right.  I have now learned not to wear a black shirt - I am invisible in the videos!  So is the drummer.

6SRciQ.webp

• Like 5
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, yannis D said:

I love your set up (i think i said that in another relevant post of yours). My only concern is the ergonomy of the little keyboard. Isn't this a little hard to reach and play?

I like having the two keyboards close together but could see how others might prefer a bigger gap between the two. Both keyboards rest on a thin piece of wood (that rests on the arms of the keyboard stand). I could use a wider piece of wood (so that the lower keyboard could be offset further left or right. I could also add a second piece of wood (thicker) to the back-half of the board to raise the rear keyboard relative to the front one. The vendor also sells an add-on set of arms for the stand but I am cheap and a piece of wood from the hardware store was much less expensive. 

• Like 1

Just sold my Hydrasynth Deluxe via Reverb. Hopefully, I don’t get screwed (other than shipping costs). Moving from RD-2000 and Hydrasynth Deluxe to a Montage M8x. Never sure what the right answer is, just want to play in the handful years I have left….

• Like 2

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2